PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 08-28-2009, 06:08 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Well, vacation is over - time to get back to work. Will sent me the new fuselage mid-section skins so we need to get this section ready for skinning!

See above - Here you can see the right cockpit panel and the stick. The seat is also glued in place.

See above - Here you can see the location of joiner strip B17. This provides the base for the C4/C5 skin joint.

See above - Another view of cockpit and seat. Note the "ledges" at the upper edge of the cockpit walls. These are pieces B18L and B18R. They are folded to a narrow "V" and glued in place with the wide side toward the bottom of the cockpit.

See above - Here you can see the right side panel and control quadrant. The seat belts have also been added - almost time to close it up!

See above - Same point in construction showing the belts a little better.

Next installment - the dreaded B16!

Last edited by member_3; 08-28-2009 at 06:20 AM.
Old 08-28-2009, 06:42 AM

See above - the dreaded (and much misunderstood) piece B16. This provides the interior for the cockpit section forward of the instrument panel as well as support for the C1/C4 and C3/C4 skin joints.

See above - B16 should be pre-shaped with the printed side facing inward.

See above - Here B16 is being test fitted. Note that the aft end of B16 MUST GO UNDER THE TABS ON B4!! If it is outside those tabs the skins will not fit. The aft end of B16 butts up against the rear of the instrument panel and the forward edge should be even with the forward edge of B3.

See above - B16 has been glued in place. Note that I have started coloring the joiner strips where the skin joints will be.

See above - Same point in construction from a different viewpoint. I should note here that it is easier to install the B8/B9 rudder pedal assembly before gluing B16 in place. I got so carried away with the whole B16 drama that I forgot to do that.

Next time - will the OldTroll work up enough courage to start the (non-reversible) skinning process??? Stay tuned...
Old 08-28-2009, 08:27 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
I'm back after a few days, too (work, not vacation) and am glad to see progress continuing. This is one that I'm saving in hopes of trying my hand once you and Will work out the details and any bugs. Bravo Zulu, Super Squid!

Dogface
Old 08-28-2009, 08:40 AM

Total Downloaded: 587.2 KB
Ron,
Excellent work!
Old 08-28-2009, 09:26 AM

Aaaaaargh!!! - Anywhere in the last 10 pictures where I refer to C# skins it should have been D# skins. Bad troll, no biscuit!!
Google Adsense
Old 08-28-2009, 09:48 AM
POTW Editor

Total Downloaded: 76.82 MB
Nice going Ron, I'll be watching, Will's stuff is just great
Old 08-28-2009, 10:03 AM

Here we go...

See above - While there are at least three different ways to sequence the skinning, I prefer starting with D4 which runs from the instrument panel bulkhead to the rear cockpit bulkhead. Glue this skin only at the upper edge. This will allow a tiny bit of "fudge factor" at the bottom when the forward and rear skins are glued in place.

See above - D4 from below.

Leaving for lunch - the drama continues anon...
Old 08-28-2009, 11:36 AM

Total Downloaded: 1,012.17 MB
Ron, I do so wish that I had seen this prior to beginning my build! Oh Well! I'll have updates to post soon as well including a clear canopy......, I hope! Keep up the great work!

Cecil
Old 08-28-2009, 11:38 AM

Cecil - I have been known to purchase vacu-formed canopies in multiples. Any chance you (or Shrike) might peddle them to the vacuum challenged?
Old 08-28-2009, 11:52 AM

Back from lunch at "Quaker Steak & Lube" - pretty fine grub and a two-story mug of Guinness! Now onward and upward...

See above - Again, there are a couple different ways to do this - I am showing you the way that works for me. I first assemble the entire forward skin (D3 bottom joined by D2R to D1 top with D2L attached to D! but nothing else.) The cowling joiner strip (F1) must be attached to D1 now. Will, you might consider changing the letter designation on that piece to a D series. When putting this skin on, slip it over the wing rear spar and wrap it around the fuselage. If all has gone well it will butt nicely against the front edge of D4 and the D1/D3 joint on the left side will match perfectly. More about this later...

See above - DISCLAIMER - this photo shows modifications to Will's design, so pay no attention to rearmost section of the fuselage. Here we have D4 (previously glued) with the forward (D1/D2) skin in place (not glued) and the rear (D5/D6) section slid in place (not glued.) I found no fit problems at all but there is a graphic alignment problem (shown/discussed below.) Any gaps are because this is a test fit and the sections are not yet glued in place.

See above - Same status as the previous photo from the other side.

See above - Bottom showing the perfect alignment of panel lines at the D4/D5 joining.

See above - Right side with the panel line at the top aligning but the aft portion of the "4" is about 1mm high.

See above - Left side with the panel line at the top aligning but the aft portion of the "4" is also about about 1mm high. Based on the fact that the bottom pair of panel lines match and the top panel lines match (and there is no "slack" in the assembly) I believe the portions of the "4" on skin D5 need to be moved down 1 mm. There was no alignment problem at the D4/D3 joining forward.

Will, my intent is to hold skinning at this point so you can evaluate/move things and then I will try the new D5 skin when you can get it to me.

When I do that I will build the D5/D6 section as designed and will discuss my proposed alternate method at that time.

As with all Will's designs - fit is perfect if you don't build like a troll.

Last edited by member_3; 08-28-2009 at 12:10 PM.
Google Adsense