PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 01-26-2022, 01:22 AM

Total Downloaded: 5.55 MB
The wing central section has been reinforced with a box. One may add other forms of reinforcement but what is in the kit and the instructions "is it". You are totally free to add means from your own insights

Cor the designer
Old 01-26-2022, 04:14 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
Thank you all for your reactions, that's well appreciated!

Isaac, my build is based on the first version of the model's design, with wing spars running through the fuselage. The version of the model for sale has a box structure in the fuselage, as developed by the other test builder.

As I found the original design difficult to build simply because of practical reasons (the entire wingspan is about 70cms / 28 inches), I decided to cut the central spars into half, being able to prepare each wing separately. By doing so I needed to make a sleeve construction through the fuselage, as shown in the pictures. The sleeve deliberately has a tight fit and is in fact based on the Halinski Ju-88 model design (that build is still in progress ).

I used glue amply to attach the wing and its fairing to the fuselage and let it dry thoroughly. It looks like a rigid and strong connection but as a builder you are free to reinforce in different ways, as dutchbuilt (the designer of the model) also indicates. Your suggestion of using wood is always worth to consider for that purpose.

Regards,
Erik
Attached Thumbnails
KLM DC-4/C-54 (Papertrade 1:50)-img_e7790.jpg  
Old 01-26-2022, 11:17 AM

Total Downloaded: 679.43 MB
Erik , Cor

Glad that you guys also noted the issues with the wing support and it needed modification base on the original design shortfall.

Thanks for the explanation.

Isaac
Old 02-07-2022, 07:14 AM

Right wing

Hello everyone, thank you for your reactions - a good motivation to move on.

The right wing is in place now (second attempt....), despite the wings' internal structure takes a lot of time to prepare, everything went relatively fast.
The entire wing skin is laminated with 80 grams paper on the inside for a stronger skin, mainly to prevent accidental denting during handling. The stiffer wing also helps to minimize the risk of torsion (twisting). This required the internal structure to be sanded slightly for a proper fit.
I glued the entire structure inside the wing at once so accurate dry-fitting in advance is essential. Before the glue (UHU) sets in, also ensure that the wing is not twisted, which is another reason to glue the structure in one piece. Right after gluing, press on the spars to make sure the wing remains straight, something I forgot to do during the first time.

Just like for the left wing, the wing fairing was a bit tricky and as you can see in the last picture, the gaps at the underside of each fairing still need to be corrected. There has been some discussion during the design between designer and test builders if a correction is really required but I have also come to the conclusion that there is a slight, albeit small misfit. So, heads-up to any builder.

The best moment to correct is when the flaps have been glued in place, at least if you have decided to mount them in the up position, which I intend to do.

The engine nacelles at the right wing (second last picture) have not been glued yet. That will be the next step.

Purely on sight both wings form a symmetrical V, but I have the feeling that the wingtips should be somewhat higher (less wider V) if I compare the model with actual pictures. However, the correct positioning of the bottom side of the wing fairings exactly follows the outline on the fuselage, which suggests the obtained V is correct.

Note that a small wedge in the aft wing spar has to be made to allow for the landing light. The indication of this opening is printed incorrectly on the part concerned so ensure you don't forget.

To be continued....

Erik
Attached Thumbnails
KLM DC-4/C-54 (Papertrade 1:50)-img_e8307.jpg   KLM DC-4/C-54 (Papertrade 1:50)-img_e8308.jpg   KLM DC-4/C-54 (Papertrade 1:50)-img_e8330.jpg   KLM DC-4/C-54 (Papertrade 1:50)-img_e8331.jpg   KLM DC-4/C-54 (Papertrade 1:50)-img_e8426.jpg  

KLM DC-4/C-54 (Papertrade 1:50)-img_e8427.jpg   KLM DC-4/C-54 (Papertrade 1:50)-img_e8428.jpg   KLM DC-4/C-54 (Papertrade 1:50)-img_e8429.jpg   KLM DC-4/C-54 (Papertrade 1:50)-img_e8488.jpg   KLM DC-4/C-54 (Papertrade 1:50)-img_e8493.jpg  

KLM DC-4/C-54 (Papertrade 1:50)-img_e8495.jpg  
Old 02-07-2022, 09:29 AM

Total Downloaded: 164.37 MB
Another thumbs up! Looking great!
Google Adsense
Old 02-07-2022, 12:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.55 MB
There is no misfit any more with the fairing. All has been corrected before print.
Paul Paymans expierenced the same, I too. It was quite a struggle to correct it but I think it should be OK now it is in print. These are things where 3D practice has to deal with paper thickness, a weaker point in my designs. But I learned so much with these two master-builders and they corrected me to the finish.
Thanks again, boys!
Old 02-07-2022, 04:39 PM

Total Downloaded: 10.40 MB
Hey Erik,

I do admire your dedication to this project. You are still an amazing builder and I do think that you should be compensated for all the time, work and dedication you put into this beautiful machine.

Talk to you soon, I hope.

Tot snel Erik,

Groet Hans.
Old 02-10-2022, 04:38 AM

Third motor in place

Thank you Diderick, Cor and Hans. Remuneration is a free model and being part of the process , but I eagerly look forward to building again without potential issues. This is not negatively meant but with having limited time for the modeling hobby, it's just a practical thing.

A quick update - the third engine nacelle is also in place now without issues. Trimming of the opening at the wing where the nacelle needs to be placed is required to ensure that the fairings on either side will properly fit within the outlines on wing and nacelle. Hopefully the last engine will also be a trouble-free fit, and after that, the flaps and ailerons.

Erik
Attached Thumbnails
KLM DC-4/C-54 (Papertrade 1:50)-img_e8512.jpg   KLM DC-4/C-54 (Papertrade 1:50)-img_e8514.jpg   KLM DC-4/C-54 (Papertrade 1:50)-img_e8515.jpg  
Old 02-16-2022, 08:39 AM

All engines ready

And also the fourth and last engine nacelle is attached to the wing, without any noteworthy issue.

For the left wing I had already installed the exhaust pipes before but they stand out too much compared to original DC-4 pictures. So I shortened them in order to have the exhausts closer to the engine nacelles. In the pictures you can see the original situation and after correction. Looks more realistic now.

Next will be the ailerons and flaps to conclude the saga of the wings.

Cheers,
Erik
Attached Thumbnails
KLM DC-4/C-54 (Papertrade 1:50)-img_e8536.jpg   KLM DC-4/C-54 (Papertrade 1:50)-img_e8537.jpg   KLM DC-4/C-54 (Papertrade 1:50)-img_e8538.jpg   KLM DC-4/C-54 (Papertrade 1:50)-img_e8540.jpg   KLM DC-4/C-54 (Papertrade 1:50)-img_e8541.jpg  

Old 02-16-2022, 08:58 AM

Total Downloaded: 679.43 MB
Question

I see what you mean regarding the exhaust pipe.

here is a picture of the engine and exhaust. However, you need a top view to see how far it is from the nacelle.

A photo from the internet here:

KLM DC-4/C-54 (Papertrade 1:50)-douglas_dc-4_engine_detail_on_zs-aub.jpg

Isaac
Google Adsense

Tags
dc-4, klm, papertrade