PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 08-01-2021, 03:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 683.22 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by scon10 View Post
Looks great.
A little funfact regardeing the DC series. The wing up to the outer wing section containig the ailerons had 3 spars, as opposed to the normal practice of using two spars. From a fatigue design point of view, that is very efficient, it is a major reason why Douglas aircraft had a much longer technical life than most other 1950's airliners.

When we flew on Eldorado Nuclear DC-4s from Edmonton to Uranium City, I used to marvel at how the wings would flex in turbulence. It was always a bumpy ride at low altitude - the loaders would regularly carry empty ice cream buckets to passengers. There would be pallets of tri-milk ahead of passengers on the trip north, and pails of yellow cake on the trip south.
Oh, those good old days.

John
Old 08-02-2021, 09:58 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
Thank you scon10, Isaac, Sergio and John.

"I used to marvel at how the wings would flex in turbulence", this one made me smile.... First time I ever flew was in a Transavia Sudaviation Caravelle to Alicante in Spain, back in 1971. I was shit scared when I saw the wings flexing up and down during the flight, extremely afraid they would break off. My father, who was an aeronautical engineer, tried to calm me down by explaining the principles of aeroelasticity. Of course that did little to ease the mind of the seven year old I was at the time.... but somehow he must have made a point as I can't remember being scared when flying home again one week later .

Erik
Old 08-02-2021, 12:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 912.66 MB
Erik,

You're off to an amazing start (as usual). That is a heck of a lot of formers to cut, especially for the wings. A lot of work, but a great looking models.

Gary

Design Group Alpha
https://ecardmodels.com/vendors/design-group-alpha
Old 08-03-2021, 02:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 264.09 MB
HTML Code:
at how the wings would flex in turbulence"
If you have flown a MD-11 or DC-10 in a little turbulence, now that's a sight. It is as if the wing wants to flap like a bird to get along.
I once witnessed a stall test in a B-747. The 747 wing can flex in a real S-shape. You can look between the (retracted) flaps and the rear spar. Fascinating.
Old 08-09-2021, 01:57 AM

Total Downloaded: 164.37 MB
In the meantime, work on other fronts is also continuing: Cor is doing the Santa Fé Skyway version, as an addition to our SF F-7 locomotives. he just sent me this screenshot.
Attached Thumbnails
KLM DC-4/C-54 (Papertrade 1:50)-dc4_santafe_screenshot_1.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 08-09-2021, 03:50 AM

Total Downloaded: 3.29 GB
Very nice!

Willem E.
(AKA Ponytail)
Old 08-09-2021, 07:07 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
Cockpit section-1

Before continuing with the wings I chose to start with the cockpit section. There are several options: With or without landing gear and a disc nose or a petal nose. Several smaller parts are optional too, and they relate to detailing of windscreen wipers, door hinges and small vent inlets.

As this is a test-build, the designs' options need to be explored so I decided to build the cockpit section with the petal nose and to eventually add the landing gear. For now this means: building in the nose wheel well but the landing gear itself is not a necessity within the test scope.

I started building the cockpit section by following the parts numbering but unfortunately found out (perhaps I should have known better....) that trying to shape the petal nose as the very last part simply doesn't work. My fingers aren't long enough. Also, all the formers that I duly cut out before starting the work aren't required, except for the largest one.

So I started anew, this time starting from the nose and finishing at the other end. For the first parts (no's 9 and 8) I used the parts for the landing gear up option (with closed doors). It's easier to get the right shape of the nose in this way. After adding the next segment (no 7) I cut out the doors.

The petals weren't difficult to join properly. Start by gently pressing the ends together and glue a small round piece of thin paper on the inside to keep the petal ends in position. Then join the remaining edges by gluing small strips of thin paper, again from the inside. After drying this results in a strong nose assembly. In my test copy, the KLM logo on the nose is positioned too high, which required correction. In the mean time the design has been updated, so no worries for the eventual model. Just to illustrate that building a test model is not a straight line.

The inside lining of the nose wheel well can best be printed on thin paper (80 grams) as it is easier to install. Furthermore I cut the original part into smaller sections, again this is easier to install and increases the accuracy. I didn't use the gluing tabs.

The internals of the nose wheel well come together without a problem, and include a heater and fan, to internally heat up the well to prevent freezing up during flight. Altogether 50 grams of weight need to be put in here to prevent the model from tail sitting once completed. The scale reads 60 grams, but the other parts already account for 10 grams.

As said before, the nose comes with the petal or conventional disc option. They can be compared in the last picture. Chose whatever you find is nicer or suits your level of skills best. I still prefer the petal version....

Well, that's it for now. Next will be gluing the wheel well internals into the nose section, to glue the only former and to join the entire cockpit assembly with the central fuselage. Hope to update you on this in the next few days.

Erik
Attached Thumbnails
KLM DC-4/C-54 (Papertrade 1:50)-img_e7038.jpg   KLM DC-4/C-54 (Papertrade 1:50)-img_e7063.jpg   KLM DC-4/C-54 (Papertrade 1:50)-img_e7064.jpg   KLM DC-4/C-54 (Papertrade 1:50)-img_e7097.jpg   KLM DC-4/C-54 (Papertrade 1:50)-img_e7098.jpg  

KLM DC-4/C-54 (Papertrade 1:50)-img_e7099.jpg   KLM DC-4/C-54 (Papertrade 1:50)-img_e7103.jpg   KLM DC-4/C-54 (Papertrade 1:50)-img_e7133.jpg   KLM DC-4/C-54 (Papertrade 1:50)-img_e7151.jpg   KLM DC-4/C-54 (Papertrade 1:50)-img_e7152.jpg  

KLM DC-4/C-54 (Papertrade 1:50)-img_e7153.jpg   KLM DC-4/C-54 (Papertrade 1:50)-img_e7156.jpg   KLM DC-4/C-54 (Papertrade 1:50)-img_e7138.jpg   KLM DC-4/C-54 (Papertrade 1:50)-img_e7139.jpg   KLM DC-4/C-54 (Papertrade 1:50)-img_e7140.jpg  

KLM DC-4/C-54 (Papertrade 1:50)-img_e7150.jpg   KLM DC-4/C-54 (Papertrade 1:50)-img_e7154.jpg   KLM DC-4/C-54 (Papertrade 1:50)-img_e7155.jpg  
Old 08-09-2021, 08:49 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Beautiful work, as always, Erik, and an excellent description of the kit, the potential variations, and what you have learned as your test build proceeds.

I had the pleasure of flying in Republic of Korea Air Force VC-54s O 72694 and O 72571 in the mid 80s. Never flew in a commercial DC-4, but my first airplane flight ever was a United Airlines DC-6 in 1952, and I flew several times in USAF C-118s, including a couple of very long flights across the Pacific in the early 60s.

Your build also reminds me of the Strombecker solid wood C-54 that my father and I built in the early 50s.

It is always a great pleasure to see your artisanship in action and this model is something special.

Don
Old 08-09-2021, 09:04 AM

Total Downloaded: 679.43 MB
Question

Erik

Are you building the beta version or the final version of the KLM model?

looking at photos of the actual plane it appears to have a white upper coloring and the lower portions are shiny bare metal.
KLM DC-4/C-54 (Papertrade 1:50)-klm.jpg

Is there a way to improve the metallic look on the bottom? Currently it looks grey color.

I don't want this comment to go where it is not intended. I merely offer some improvement suggestion.

Isaac
Old 08-09-2021, 02:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 264.09 MB
KLM colours varied widely with time. The first DC-4's were without white roof.
I love the accurate shape of the nose and the fantastic detail. It'll make a wonderfull gift for St Nicholas' birthday
Google Adsense

Tags
dc-4, klm, papertrade