PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 08-09-2021, 06:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.46 GB
This is amazing, congatulations.. Ill buy it !!!
Old 08-10-2021, 04:07 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac View Post
Are you building the beta version or the final version of the KLM model?

looking at photos of the actual plane it appears to have a white upper coloring and the lower portions are shiny bare metal

Is there a way to improve the metallic look on the bottom? Currently it looks grey color.

I don't want this comment to go where it is not intended. I merely offer some improvement suggestion.
Isaac,

Thanks for your response. Don't worry - all remarks, comment and queries are welcome.

I'm not sure what you mean by beta version. From a designer's point of view, the model is ready. Designer Cor has made his own build, during the design, to at least check the fit, proper alignment of the skin print details and to prepare building instructions.
I got a set of the parts sheets and the building instructions with the request to build accordingly and to give independent feedback. A number of small corrections have already been incorporated already, of which you won't see much in the building thread but certainly in the end product. It's a journey with side roads and trial and error but that's the charm of it. In the end all of this will result in a fantastic model. Along the way I pick up a lot of knowledge of the real thing, which is a nice bonus.

KLM operated C54's converted to passenger planes and "real" DC4s. The difference between them is hardly noticeable but the ones with large cargo doors are C54s whereas the DC4 only had a passenger door. As explained by scon10, the paint schemes differed quite a bit. Apparently, KLM was not that concise in those days. It seems like that no machine in that period looked the same.

In any case, the PH-TAR pictured in the model is correct as you can see from attached pictures. The C54 you showed is the PH-TCE, Edam (yes, the cheese town....), with a white top. Gradually KLM changed the livery with the predominantly metal look in the later forties to versions with white tops. Only somewhere in the late seventies/early eighties the white was replaced by blue.

Regarding a more metal look - overall no weathering or other visual effects are included to bring out the fine skin details. As far as I know, Cor hasn't designed his models with this up so far. Perhaps a next time...

Erik
Old 08-10-2021, 05:57 AM

Oops, got distracted and forgot to include these pictures how the real PH-TAR looked like. These are stills from an originally black and white movie, which has been colorized recently. Colors are therefore not necessarily 100% correct.

Erik
Attached Thumbnails
KLM DC-4/C-54 (Papertrade 1:50)-img_e6025.jpg   KLM DC-4/C-54 (Papertrade 1:50)-img_e6104.jpg  
Old 08-10-2021, 11:10 AM

Total Downloaded: 679.43 MB
Erik

My suggestion to the designer is to have a more metallic looking finish rather than light grey.

In any case, the model looks great.

Isaac
Old 08-14-2021, 06:37 AM

Cockpit section-2

Thank you Don, Isaac, scon10 and yankeekilo. Your remarks and comment are much appreciated! Don, I'm pretty sure that an aircraft like this must bring back a lot of good memories. Back in 1987 I visited the National Air and Space Museum in Washington D.C. and I remember this front section of a DC-7C. You could walk through it and I was amazed by the beauty of this aircraft, impressed by the cockpit and the few first class rows. I regret having missed this great era in the fifties....

Well, finished the nose section without much problems. Because of the model's size, parts like these come together easily.

A few remarks related to the previous post: In the first picture is an overview of the various subsections I prepared before assembling the entire cockpit section. There are more roads leading to Rome as they say, but this line-up worked well for me.
Also, a picture of the wheel well internal lining. I had assembled it first as per the model's design, in one piece, using the joining strips and printed on 160 grams paper. However, difficult to install, so I printed the part on 80 grams paper instead and with each "flap" cut loose (see the arrows in the picture) and installed separately. With a bit of trimming at the edges, all fitted well.

Then glued the internals into the nose and used the upper part of superfluous former 4NG (likely not present anymore in the final model sheets as it has no use) to correct for the slightly too small former 105-S1 (this former is required when building the model with landing gear). Finally former 3 (required regardless of any option) and internal reinforcement of the skin (by doubling with 160 grams paper), similar to the central fuselage.

Finally, mating the cockpit and central fuselage and adding the optional details: Windscreen wipers and small vent openings/discharges - in total 4 pieces. Especially the wipers are excellent to practice one's cutting skills....

Up so far the build is not complicated, despite installing the optional details and the fit is good. I'm happy with it.

The close-up pictures show no mercy: Every little glue spill or decoloring due to the use of pencils, paint or marker is p(l)ainly visible. Luckily in reality, the human eye is more forgiving and simply consider it as weathering. When the model is finished I will varnish it, which will soften any irregularity.

Next will be the empennage section.

Regards,
Erik
Attached Thumbnails
KLM DC-4/C-54 (Papertrade 1:50)-img_e7111.jpg   KLM DC-4/C-54 (Papertrade 1:50)-img_e7164.jpg   KLM DC-4/C-54 (Papertrade 1:50)-img_e7165.jpg   KLM DC-4/C-54 (Papertrade 1:50)-img_e7166.jpg   KLM DC-4/C-54 (Papertrade 1:50)-img_e7167.jpg  

KLM DC-4/C-54 (Papertrade 1:50)-img_e7168.jpg   KLM DC-4/C-54 (Papertrade 1:50)-img_e7169.jpg   KLM DC-4/C-54 (Papertrade 1:50)-img_e7174.jpg   KLM DC-4/C-54 (Papertrade 1:50)-img_e7175.jpg   KLM DC-4/C-54 (Papertrade 1:50)-img_e7176.jpg  

KLM DC-4/C-54 (Papertrade 1:50)-img_e7178.jpg   KLM DC-4/C-54 (Papertrade 1:50)-img_e7185.jpg   KLM DC-4/C-54 (Papertrade 1:50)-img_e7186.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 08-14-2021, 06:55 AM

Location: I live in Leiderdorp, a little village near Leiden, The Netherlands
Total Downloaded: 2.38 GB
Erik,

Well done. (Goed gedaan jochie). You must have the patience of an angel. Its a pitty that paper modeler is not a profession. You would be most wanted.

By the way, remember we talked about the Ford Tri-Motor with interior. You can download this plane from this site and choose from quite a number of versions.

Kind regards Hans.
Old 08-17-2021, 05:44 AM

Total Downloaded: 164.37 MB
Paul Paymans is working on the Spirit of Freedom, the Berlin Airlift version. Today's pictures show how really big the 1:50 model is going to be!
Attached Thumbnails
KLM DC-4/C-54 (Papertrade 1:50)-spirit-3.jpg   KLM DC-4/C-54 (Papertrade 1:50)-spirit-4.jpg  
Old 08-20-2021, 03:28 AM

Empennage Part 1

Thanks Hans, I'll do my best.... If I could earn the same salary when doing paper modeling for a living, the choice would be very easy I guess . No more stress, only fun.

Continued with the empennage, which also consists of the aft fuselage section. The tail section is a challenge as the round shape of the fuselage changes into the hollow part at the horizontal and vertical stabilizers. The design of the model is ingenious and requires accurate work at the builder's end.

It starts with the former of the last fuselage section, part number 13, on which the empennage internal structure needs to be attached. The building process is shown in the subsequent pictures. The fit of the individual parts is very good, requiring only marginal trimming or sandpapering. I tapered the aft part of the longitudinal former to have a better mating of both skin shells.

I doubled the wedge-shaped top cover, where the vertical stabilizer will be placed later on on 0.8mm thick cardboard, to ease its installation and to get a more stable platform for the stabilizer itself.

Also the very last and small part (ventilation outlet ducting) is doubled on 0.8mm cardboard. In fact the last former of the entire fuselage assembly. The kit offers two options here but it is not clear which one to be used. According to the designer he noticed two different outlets on actual pictures but concluded that the part I used here is in fact the most common one. Up to the builder to decide.

The position of the horizontal stabilizers is exactly horizontal and I drew a cross on a piece of paper to help in the alignment once the stabilizers need to be attached.

A slight misfit at the front side, (or an inaccuracy on my part), which should be easy to correct at a later stage.

Only the bumper still needs to be installed at the bottom side and then next will be the horizontal and vertical stabilizers.

Erik
Attached Thumbnails
KLM DC-4/C-54 (Papertrade 1:50)-img_e7187.jpg   KLM DC-4/C-54 (Papertrade 1:50)-img_e7188.jpg   KLM DC-4/C-54 (Papertrade 1:50)-img_e7189.jpg   KLM DC-4/C-54 (Papertrade 1:50)-img_e7211.jpg   KLM DC-4/C-54 (Papertrade 1:50)-img_e7212.jpg  

KLM DC-4/C-54 (Papertrade 1:50)-img_e7224.jpg   KLM DC-4/C-54 (Papertrade 1:50)-img_e7225.jpg   KLM DC-4/C-54 (Papertrade 1:50)-img_e7227.jpg   KLM DC-4/C-54 (Papertrade 1:50)-img_e7228.jpg   KLM DC-4/C-54 (Papertrade 1:50)-img_e7229.jpg  

KLM DC-4/C-54 (Papertrade 1:50)-img_e7230.jpg   KLM DC-4/C-54 (Papertrade 1:50)-img_e7231.jpg   KLM DC-4/C-54 (Papertrade 1:50)-img_e7233.jpg   KLM DC-4/C-54 (Papertrade 1:50)-img_e7234.jpg   KLM DC-4/C-54 (Papertrade 1:50)-img_e7235.jpg  

KLM DC-4/C-54 (Papertrade 1:50)-img_e7236.jpg   KLM DC-4/C-54 (Papertrade 1:50)-img_e7237.jpg   KLM DC-4/C-54 (Papertrade 1:50)-img_e7238.jpg   KLM DC-4/C-54 (Papertrade 1:50)-img_e7239.jpg   KLM DC-4/C-54 (Papertrade 1:50)-img_e7240.jpg  

Old 08-20-2021, 08:36 AM

Total Downloaded: 331.88 MB
Awesome work Erik
Old 08-20-2021, 10:56 AM

Total Downloaded: 912.66 MB
Very nice work Erik. Your build skills are impeccable. Cor has done a great job of capturing the various curves and transitions.

Gary

Design Group Alpha
https://ecardmodels.com/vendors/design-group-alpha
Google Adsense

Tags
dc-4, klm, papertrade