PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 07-04-2021, 08:32 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
KLM DC-4/C-54 (Papertrade 1:50)

Hello Paper modelers,

The design of the Papertrade 1:50 DC-4/C-54 is almost ready, designer Cor is checking the last parts for fit and feasibility and is working on the instructions. In the mean time publisher Diderick has requested me to do an independent test-build for the KLM version, and to provide any useful feedback. Well, I'm more than happy to do so and this is the reason why the Ju-88 build is temporarily put on hold....

Here's the link to the design thread: Douglas DC-4 / C-54 for Paper Trade: Berlin Airlift.

The model can be built in various degrees of detail (and hence difficulty): With or without movable surfaces, engine details and landing gear. Also other options are possible, such as additional details to the fuselage and the choice between the "regular" nose design and the much dreaded (or beloved) petal version .
In any case, there's something in it for every builder's level of experience and wishes.

The model will (at least?) be available in the Berlin Airlift version and the KLM livery of the late forties.

The portrayed KLM-machine is the PH-TAR, named "Rotterdam" (hence the "R" in the call sign), which was the first post-war KLM aircraft that flew to New York in 1946. There is a most interesting movie on YouTube of this flight, fully restored in 4K resolution and colorized which provides a wealth of details, both internally and externally. And for those who watch carefully: The movie also contains images of the PH-TAS "Schiedam", the neighboring town west of Rotterdam.
The comment is in typical staccato Dutch of the day. Well, at least it's impeccable compared to today's fast, and unarticulated speak you hear on the tv and radio most of the time, the captain smokes a pipe in the cockpit and after so many hours the passengers finally get a cup of tea (Wow! Exciting!). Oh my, those were the days.

If you're interested: 4K|Colorized Unique First Flight between Amsterdam and New York (1946) - YouTube

The model is scale 1:50 and pretty big. Wingtip to wingtip the span measures about 70cm (27.5 inches). The building instructions are roughly divided into building the central fuselage and wings section, the nose and the tail section.

The build starts with the central fuselage segments and then the internal wing structure, which is quite elaborate. If you select the simple version with no separate ailerons and flaps the rear ends of the wing profile formers do not need to be cut off. I intend to build the separate surfaces but made a mock-up of the simple version, which is also shown in the pictures below.

Note that at this moment the wings have not been attached to the fuselage and not all ribs of the right wing are ready yet (still need to be shortened at the rear).

I doubled the fuselage skin on the inside to provide more strength, a trick I usually apply. The model design also provides a central reinforcement tube, which I still need to install.

The initial dislocation of the "Flying Dutchman" wording across the fuselage has been solved, as you may notice differences in the location of the wording in the different pictures.

Well, that's it for now. Radio silence for a few weeks after this due to summer vacation. Hope you will enjoy this one and until later this month.

Cheers,
Erik
Attached Thumbnails
KLM DC-4/C-54 (Papertrade 1:50)-img_e6099.jpg   KLM DC-4/C-54 (Papertrade 1:50)-img_e6100.jpg   KLM DC-4/C-54 (Papertrade 1:50)-img_e6102.jpg   KLM DC-4/C-54 (Papertrade 1:50)-img_e6122.jpg   KLM DC-4/C-54 (Papertrade 1:50)-img_e6123.jpg  

KLM DC-4/C-54 (Papertrade 1:50)-img_e6135.jpg   KLM DC-4/C-54 (Papertrade 1:50)-img_e6137.jpg   KLM DC-4/C-54 (Papertrade 1:50)-img_e6141.jpg   KLM DC-4/C-54 (Papertrade 1:50)-img_e6142.jpg   KLM DC-4/C-54 (Papertrade 1:50)-img_e6143.jpg  

KLM DC-4/C-54 (Papertrade 1:50)-img_e6145.jpg   KLM DC-4/C-54 (Papertrade 1:50)-img_e6158.jpg   KLM DC-4/C-54 (Papertrade 1:50)-img_e6161.jpg   KLM DC-4/C-54 (Papertrade 1:50)-img_e6162.jpg  

Last edited by rickstef; 08-12-2021 at 06:32 AM.
Google Adsense
Old 07-04-2021, 09:02 AM

Total Downloaded: 331.88 MB
Fantastic start Erik !! This bird is huge !! We will be watching, have a nice vacation!
Old 07-04-2021, 01:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 264.09 MB
Wow, is all I can say. Have a good holiday and many yellow countries on your path.
Old 07-04-2021, 02:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.68 GB
wow thats going to be big looking good so far cant wait to see more
Old 07-04-2021, 02:08 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Great - the trio (Erik, Cor and Diderick) at work again!

Erik — the DC-4 is a favourite of mine, so I look forward to the build with anticipation!
Old 07-15-2021, 06:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.46 GB
this is just brilliant!!
Old 07-30-2021, 06:54 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
Wing structure continued

Hello PM's, thank you for your shown interest! We spent our vacation in a country that turned from yellow to red on the European Covid-map in a very short time, and the area where we stayed was affected for a few days by affluent rains, causing flooding of the valleys and requiring people to evacuate from their homes. Luckily not as devastating as in Belgium or Germany, but nevertheless a shock to many in that very southern and hilly tip of The Netherlands where we stayed. Apart from that it was a nice and sunny vacation, how contractionary this may sound.

Picked up the build in the mean time and finished the wing structure. Before continuing with the wing section herewith a few pictures to give you an idea of the elaborate structure and size. I cut away the trailing edges to allow installation of the separate ailerons and flaps. The wings have not been attached to the central fuselage yet, they will need careful alignment before actually gluing them.

I put the wings aside for a while and have continued with the cockpit section - more about this will follow soon.

Regards,
Erik
Attached Thumbnails
KLM DC-4/C-54 (Papertrade 1:50)-img_e7100.jpg   KLM DC-4/C-54 (Papertrade 1:50)-img_e7101.jpg  
Old 07-30-2021, 02:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 264.09 MB
Looks great.
A little funfact regardeing the DC series. The wing up to the outer wing section containig the ailerons had 3 spars, as opposed to the normal practice of using two spars. From a fatigue design point of view, that is very efficient, it is a major reason why Douglas aircraft had a much longer technical life than most other 1950's airliners. Just a side remark. By now, the low availibity of Avgas, the fuel for the PW engines, has put most of them in museums.
Old 07-30-2021, 03:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 679.43 MB
Erik

Looking forward to the completed model and your insight/ comments/suggestions.

Isaac
Old 08-01-2021, 11:19 AM

Total Downloaded: 331.88 MB
Solid structure from what can be seen from here. What we do to the planet causes these disasters, floods in Europe and here in South America the drought due to lack of rain is beginning to cause damage.
Google Adsense

Tags
dc-4, klm, papertrade