PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 08-04-2021, 07:54 AM

Total Downloaded: 679.43 MB
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOAVHOZMI View Post
Hello Isaac.
I think your canopy is a bit backwards and that's why you do not have an optimal match between the two white markers.

YOAV

Yoav

I think if I matched the two white lines on the sides first, it would have lined up better.

per your build
A-4 Skyhawk- Yoav in 1/30 scale-yoav-canopy-4.jpg

I may need to build another Skyhawk ( with the avionic hump ).

Thank you

Isaac
Old 08-04-2021, 08:53 AM

Exclamation Slats

I used paper clip as small pins for the wing leading edge slats
A-4 Skyhawk- Yoav in 1/30 scale-img_4933.jpg

here it is on.
A-4 Skyhawk- Yoav in 1/30 scale-img_4934.jpgA-4 Skyhawk- Yoav in 1/30 scale-img_4935.jpgA-4 Skyhawk- Yoav in 1/30 scale-img_4936.jpg

Isaac
Old 08-04-2021, 08:59 AM

Cool Turbulators / vortex generators

It was common in the 1950's / 1960's to add lots of small vertical foils on top of the wings to control the airflow for the purpose of increased lift. The Skyhawk had many of them on the wing slats and outer sections. The use of these devices today is more common in smaller planes.

here is the model wing with all those tiny parts.
A-4 Skyhawk- Yoav in 1/30 scale-img_4941.jpgA-4 Skyhawk- Yoav in 1/30 scale-img_4942.jpgA-4 Skyhawk- Yoav in 1/30 scale-img_4943.jpg

Depending on your dedication or frustration level, you may want to omit those. However, it does add to the realism.

Isaac
Old 08-04-2021, 09:06 AM

Cool details

I attached the straight refueling probe simply by inserting it into its aft fairing. I chose not to glue it in case it is damaged later on.
A-4 Skyhawk- Yoav in 1/30 scale-img_4937.jpgA-4 Skyhawk- Yoav in 1/30 scale-img_4938.jpgA-4 Skyhawk- Yoav in 1/30 scale-img_4940.jpg

Notice that the early Skyhawks had the straight probes, while later on N /M versions and others modified, had the angled version which allowed for better visuals of the mating with the fueling planes basket.

Here is the wing root gun.
A-4 Skyhawk- Yoav in 1/30 scale-img_4944.jpg

other small details were omitted because they were super small and also, I would have damaged then later on while handling the model.

Isaac
Old 08-04-2021, 09:29 AM

Exclamation Impression

Summery of model build:

This is a model of moderate complexity that is superbly rendered. Other than technique in building it, it should be a pleasant build in a flying configuration.

Also, the choice of glues in some locations will render the results better or worse. I am told to use UHU glue. However, for me, this glue has slow initial bond and I rarely get to have a good mating on larger parts and tend to use it on small flat surfaces. I tend to use Aleen's glue which is white and water based, but I should reduce the amount in some areas.

A bit of complex work is needed upfront in modifying it for on ground configuration for the wing leading edge slats and landing gear. I modified my wings on the fly. However, there are better was of addressing it with upfront planning . Yoav suggested a cardboard structural box mated to the wing spars should be used.
A-4 Skyhawk- Yoav in 1/30 scale-wing-box.jpg
However, it should also be placed properly to enclose the wing landing gear bay and not interfere with other structures or features.

I will try it on one of his other designs like the Gloster Meteor.

Other than the external loadout, the model is done.

Isaac
Google Adsense
Old 08-05-2021, 02:52 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
Good looking result Isaac!. It's really a plus that you added those small details to the wings, these extras make the model so much more appealing to the eye Basically it is already, but I guess you know what I mean to say.

Regarding the use of glue: UHU or similar is excellent for the use of larger, flat surfaces. The paper doesn't deform. For all other applications my preference is always to use white glue. Because it contains water, it makes the paper somewhat moldable, which is very handy if it comes to smoothen joints. But for both types of glue goes: Never apply too much. If applied in the right quantity, no issues with quick drying. A small hair dryer held at a certain distance will always be helpful to speed up the process . Standard part of the toolkit, am using it already for almost 30 years....

Cheers,
Erik
Old 08-05-2021, 03:32 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.34 GB
It is, and I apoligise if folk are offended, bloody marvelous. Nicely done, Sir.
Old 08-05-2021, 04:42 AM

Total Downloaded: 935.52 MB
Isaac,

It's a great looking model. Your modifications (and surgeries) definitely add a lot of very nice detailing to the kit.

I've tried UHU glue with limited success. Aleene's has always been my goto for glue.

Gary

Design Group Alpha
https://ecardmodels.com/vendors/design-group-alpha
Old 08-05-2021, 12:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.27 GB
Beautiful work.Thanks for the build report.
Old 08-05-2021, 01:56 PM

Thumbs up not over yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmks2000 View Post
Beautiful work. Thanks for the build report.
There is more to come. External load coming up and more Pictures

Isaac
Google Adsense