PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 07-11-2022, 10:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.90 MB
you are doing a great job with this model.

YOAV
Old 07-17-2022, 02:25 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.92 MB
I'm curious, how much do you credit the cleanliness and quality fit of the model to your skill building vs design of the model. I recently built a kit and I felt like there were printed details that just wouldn't line up.

Regardless, your attention to detail and skill along curves is extremely impressive. It's awesome to see a master at work.
Old 07-20-2022, 05:44 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
Wings - Part 1

Hello Dan, Yoav and T haf, thanks for your kind words!

@T haf: Interesting question.... As far as I know Halinski is considered the absolute top in terms of design precision. This is the third Halinski I'm building (only one finished up so far, the Spitfire Mk 1a) and the fit of the parts is indeed very, very good and the models are very, very detailed. The good fit makes them not necessarily difficult to build but I do realize that because of the good fit and the many details, there is little room for error. You may not have to be very experienced but you do have to be very precise, and patient. For instance, the way the fuselage skin has to be installed is very risky: Any small misalignment during gluing has impact on the rest of the skin parts. I may be an experienced builder if you like, but I had difficulty to align the skin sections properly, all because of the central skin section perhaps not being 100% properly aligned. On the pictures that's hardly noticeable, and one can correct with all kinds of tricks and ultimately a coat of varnish that will hide any (small or bigger) glue spills but it feels a bit like sour spot.
The elaborate internal structure of the fuselage and empennage is such that when installing skin sections, it's very hard to smooth out the seam, as you cannot press it from the inside. As I find it a "sport" to smooth out seams as much as possible (to make them virtually invisible) this is somehow a bit annoying (....) and I'm only very jealous of builders who can. One of the references I'm using is a Dauntless build by a Polish guy, which in my eyes is just absolutely perfect. Still a lot to be learned, luckily!

Anyway, going back to the build, herewith the internal structures of both wings. They have some kind of slat structure at the outer wings to aid in the lift at low speeds. Probably handy when having to land on aircraft carriers.

I applied stretches of paper to the inside wing skin to reinforce it to avoid accidental denting when pressing the skin to the spars and wing profiles during gluing. Quite a bit of work, but worth the effort.
The skin folds flawlessly over the internal structure, although a bit of sanding is recommendable, otherwise you have to pull hard to get the right fit at the rear spar edges.
The left wing leads the way (note the landing lights) and is in its place, together with the fender around the wing root/wing joint. Dive flaps and aileron will follow at a later stage during the build.

On to the next wing....

Erik
Attached Thumbnails
SBD-3 Dauntless 1:33 scale-img_e1600.jpg   SBD-3 Dauntless 1:33 scale-img_e1601.jpg   SBD-3 Dauntless 1:33 scale-img_e1602.jpg   SBD-3 Dauntless 1:33 scale-img_e1603.jpg   SBD-3 Dauntless 1:33 scale-img_e1604.jpg  

SBD-3 Dauntless 1:33 scale-img_e1684.jpg   SBD-3 Dauntless 1:33 scale-img_e1685.jpg   SBD-3 Dauntless 1:33 scale-img_e1686.jpg   SBD-3 Dauntless 1:33 scale-img_e1687.jpg   SBD-3 Dauntless 1:33 scale-img_e1688.jpg  

SBD-3 Dauntless 1:33 scale-img_e1689.jpg   SBD-3 Dauntless 1:33 scale-img_e1702.jpg   SBD-3 Dauntless 1:33 scale-img_e1706.jpg  
Old 07-20-2022, 07:11 AM

Total Downloaded: 204.72 MB
That is a beauty of a model Erik, your patience is certainly paying off.

Doug
Old 07-20-2022, 09:56 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Zwaan View Post
As I find it a "sport" to smooth out seams as much as possible (to make them virtually invisible) this is somehow a bit annoying (....) and I'm only very jealous of builders who can.

You're not alone -- I get equally annoyed and jealous.
Google Adsense
Old 07-20-2022, 03:36 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.91 MB
Hi Erik your model is looking great, keep doing great work. Have you started punching holes in flaps yet :P
Old 07-20-2022, 04:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 391.86 MB
What t-haf said: very clean work!
Old 07-22-2022, 01:59 PM

Total Downloaded: 865.44 MB
LOVELY work, Erik. Loving this...Dan
Old 07-23-2022, 04:01 AM

Total Downloaded: 52.85 MB
What a great work you are doing with this model. I wish I could do the same with my models.
Old 07-23-2022, 08:10 AM

Total Downloaded: 51.66 MB
¡Hermoso trabajo!
Beautiful job!
Google Adsense

Tags
1:33, dauntless, halinski, sbd-3