PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 04-08-2022, 01:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.27 GB
I'm just amazed at how smooth the cuts are on the parts.
Old 04-08-2022, 07:08 PM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
You really have some nice work going with that interior.
Old 04-09-2022, 06:56 AM

Total Downloaded: 346.95 MB
May I ask what you are using for your edge coloring?
Old 04-14-2022, 03:44 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
More side panels

Thank you very much, Chris, Ab, Tom, rmks2000, Michael and SmashedGlass !

@ SmashedGlass: I'm using different shades of grey for edge coloring, felt tip markers make Tombow. Good quality markers and the ink does not flow. It's always a bit of a struggle to find the right color as the ink tends to dry up darker than expected. The one I have been using most of the time gives a bit of a bluish shine in the pictures, whereas in reality the effect is far less pronounced. Also I use Tamiya cockpit green applied via the sharp tip of a tooth pick, which is easier to apply at edges than by using a small brush.

The individual side panel assemblies are very labor-intensive, but working on all these great details provides a lot of pleasure. The right side panel is ready. As you can see I have added stiffeners in those locations where they remain more or less visible. They're made of 0.5mm dia plastic rod painted with cockpit green. I am still considering to add a few more details in the gunner's compartment (cabling) but will really limit myself as not much will remain visible.

Continued with the left side panel, which starts with a lot of handles. The biggest one must be the throttle quadrant and the other one I'm not so sure of. The round knobs of the handles are created by drops of glue and then painted.
They may look big but are in fact very small, just tiny strips of paper. In the last picture you can see how it will look like eventually, but this is still a dry-fit. Yes, the cockpit is full, but yet another detail will have to be installed here.

To be continued....

Erik
Attached Thumbnails
SBD-3 Dauntless 1:33 scale-img_e9440.jpg   SBD-3 Dauntless 1:33 scale-img_e9433.jpg   SBD-3 Dauntless 1:33 scale-img_e9445.jpg   SBD-3 Dauntless 1:33 scale-img_e9444.jpg  
Old 04-14-2022, 11:37 AM

Total Downloaded: 316.45 MB
Love seeing your work.

I keep trying to reach this level

But it's a bit of a struggle

Tim
Google Adsense
Old 04-14-2022, 11:38 AM

Total Downloaded: 316.45 MB
Love seeing your work.

I keep trying to reach this level

But it's a bit of a struggle

Tim

Last edited by Tim Crowe; 04-14-2022 at 11:46 AM. Reason: duplicate
Old 04-14-2022, 01:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 679.43 MB
Erik

Nicely detailed cockpit. Keep the canopies slid open so we can see it all.

Isaac
Old 04-17-2022, 06:56 PM

Total Downloaded: 770.5 KB
Before my fascination with card models started, I was into plastic for few years. Your cockpit is right up there with the best of them - but even more impressive!
Old 04-18-2022, 03:02 AM

Total Downloaded: 751.01 MB
Oh so not my kind of detail. Too "lazy" and impatient for that.
Although I'm also extremely impressed by the quality.
Prachtig werk, Erik
(yes, I do speak Dutch, but won't write more, because this is an English-speaking website )
Old 04-25-2022, 06:50 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
Side panels and other details almost finished

Thank you scissorsandplanes, Dion Dunn, Isaac and Tim. Yes, the cockpit will remain open, with all windows slid in the open position.

Didn't have too much time to spend on modeling in the last two weeks but I gradually worked my way through the left side panel and all its details. Where it remains more or less visible I added stiffeners to the inside skin. Also I googled a copy of the Pilot Operating Manual, with numerous very interesting pictures that explain the function of each instrument. I will come back to that later as it's interesting to highlight.

I'm now in the process of final paint touchups to the panels and will apply a thin coat of matt varnish, before gluing them on the cockpit sides.

In the cockpit area the final details were added: foot rests for the gunner (part of the model), an inter-linking mechanism to the back-up carburetor pump handles at the left side of both pilot and gunner, a handgrip to the gunner's control stick, knobs on certain handles, and on either side in the gunner's compartment hydraulic lines at the flooring that were part of the flap opening system. These are all own additions based on the many available pictures on the internet.

If you wish you can still add other details, such as small instrument lead lines but much will be hidden once the cockpit area is closed. So, enough is enough .

Next will be closing of the cockpit after the last patches of white plastic rods have been painted and a bit of varnish applied. The moment of truth...

Cheers,
Erik
Attached Thumbnails
SBD-3 Dauntless 1:33 scale-img_e9681.jpg   SBD-3 Dauntless 1:33 scale-img_e9682.jpg   SBD-3 Dauntless 1:33 scale-img_e9683.jpg   SBD-3 Dauntless 1:33 scale-img_e9684.jpg   SBD-3 Dauntless 1:33 scale-img_e9685.jpg  

Google Adsense

Tags
1:33, dauntless, halinski, sbd-3