PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 09-22-2022, 07:23 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
The canopy looks just perfect, Erik I often have problems with Halinski canopies (and other publishers, too...) because the inner frames seem to have been drawn for thinner transparencies. Sometimes, I find it necessary to cut the inner frame parts and trim them at some places. Apart from that particular problem, Halinski canopies almost invariably fit very, very well.
Yes, it seems a better option to leave the canopy open. I intend to do the same
Old 09-25-2022, 09:57 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.83 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petestein View Post
Very few people, I'm sure, have your talent and patience to make such a model.
Amen!

Gene K
Old 09-26-2022, 09:23 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
Canopy finished

Hello PMs, thank you again for your kind comment and compliments. Well appreciated .
@Petestein: This site is packed with very gifted and patient people .
@ Ricardo: Fully agree with you and indeed, inner frames seldom completely fit, even for Halinski. I always cut them in halves but in this case there was just a fraction of correction required, and not even that for every frame. The designer really already corrected for the thickness of the cockpit glazing.

Well, managed to finalize the front screen, with aiming device running through it. The magnetic compass is in the roof of the wind screen. A tiny and fragile part.

Also other details are in place: The wind deflectors at the gunners end and I added rails that guided the canopy sections when sliding open or closed.

Fitting the windscreen on the fuselage was a bit of a tough job, and in fact I already had a hard time before to sculp the fuselage skin (part no. 38) properly around the cockpit cocoon. The top part gently shapes towards the rounded covers of each of the machine guns and for this reason the skin needs to be pre-shaped very carefully.
By simply gluing the windscreen in stages, starting at the rear end, allowing the glue to completely dry before gluing the front side to the fuselage, the job was done. Make sure that you dry- fit aiming device part no. 73 through the hole in the windscreen before attaching the screen to the fuselage. Some correction was required to level the part properly, so it sits a bit higher in the guiding shoe on the glare shield.

I used a somewhat lighter blue color for touching up around the windscreen but I'm not fully satisfied and I may use slightly darker color yet. Experimented a bit with another shade of blue but that's just too dark.

Took a few close-up pictures last night with the desk lamp close to the model, not with its flash. Any small irregularity is visible.... but all in all, with the cockpit glazing fully installed, the appearance of the model is so much different now I find... it starts to look like a Dauntless !

Next will be the 9-cylinder engine and cowling. Finally!

Erik
Attached Thumbnails
SBD-3 Dauntless 1:33 scale-img_3731.jpg   SBD-3 Dauntless 1:33 scale-img_3732.jpg   SBD-3 Dauntless 1:33 scale-img_3733.jpg   SBD-3 Dauntless 1:33 scale-img_3735.jpg   SBD-3 Dauntless 1:33 scale-img_3736.jpg  

SBD-3 Dauntless 1:33 scale-img_3737.jpg   SBD-3 Dauntless 1:33 scale-img_3738.jpg   SBD-3 Dauntless 1:33 scale-img_3739.jpg   SBD-3 Dauntless 1:33 scale-img_3740.jpg   SBD-3 Dauntless 1:33 scale-img_3741.jpg  

SBD-3 Dauntless 1:33 scale-img_3742.jpg  
Old 09-26-2022, 10:41 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.68 GB
awesooooooooooooooooooooome build
Old 09-26-2022, 12:32 PM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Highly detailed. Outstanding work.
Google Adsense
Old 09-26-2022, 01:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.63 MB
looking good with the canopy on Erik.

Old 09-26-2022, 07:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.91 MB
You must have a great camera The pictures are great, noticed some black discolorations along the fuselage where the segments come together is it the glue that made black lines?
Old 09-27-2022, 07:51 AM

Total Downloaded: 204.72 MB
Simply amazing.

Doug
Old 09-27-2022, 09:46 AM

Total Downloaded: 21.24 MB
You have done such a beautiful job on this model, matter fact I enjoy all your model builds. So it pains me to mention a common mistake made when installing the canopy. The very rear portion of the canopy, when it slides all the way forward and nests into the center section, the back is then tilted up and locks into place so the rear gunner won’t hit his head on the exposed edge.
Old 09-29-2022, 08:16 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
It looks like the real plane, not “just” a Dauntless model I understand the shaping problem around the guns. When a cross-section has concave curves, it is always problematic to get the shape right, as you did. My first impression when dry fitting the skin parts (they are not glued, yet) was that they were too large for the formers. Something strange on a Halinski... It is not the case, of course.
Regarding the engine, be careful not to do anything that makes the cylinders longer than they should be. They fit very, very tightly inside the cowling!
Google Adsense

Tags
1:33, dauntless, halinski, sbd-3