PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 06-11-2022, 07:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rata View Post
To my eye, the Do.24 was always an attractive 'boat. Same with the Kawanishi H6K 'Mavis'.
I've always loved the Do-24. When I was growing up it was like the 3rd serious model I built in plastic. I had the Swedish regalia version on my ceiling for years. The Mavis is a fine bird as well though I had my other favourite on the ceiling the Emily.
Old 06-14-2022, 02:25 PM

Total Downloaded: 158.97 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siwi View Post
One thought I did have when seeing your handpainted prototypes is that you could release a 'white' model for those modellers who want to add a paint scheme themselves. That way the model could either be depicted as a specific aircraft or just to create a certain effect. In the case of the London, I'm going over the entire model with a silver marker pen to create the aluminium.
Just a week days ago I send my Dc-9 'white texture' to a friend so he can release his own repaints. I'll be releasing some more in the future.
Old 06-16-2022, 07:14 AM

After another seven hours blackout, I'm advancing with the Do-24T.
I tried many formers configuration, but at last I decided to return to the Stranraer one. After all, they are flying boats, it's fitting to use ship formers.

So far great part of the work is mental: where to place the formers, how many skin parts, the level of detail, to place (or not) the ailerons and rudders as a separated part, etc.

I expect to print and assemble the hull formers tomorrow, and the wings and rudders this Saturday.
Attached Thumbnails
DO-24T: The forgotten planes-do-24t-3-.jpg  
Old 06-17-2022, 06:09 PM

The formers are done, now to assemble them.

The plane has a very interesting cross section, in fact, it the Dornier family will achieve to restart the production of the plane, it will fit perfectly today.

I'm using pictures from the Militaire Luchtvaart Museum in Soesterberg, The Netherlands, and from Cuatro Vientos Museum (Madrid, Spain)
Attached Thumbnails
DO-24T: The forgotten planes-do-24t-170622-1-.jpg   DO-24T: The forgotten planes-do-24t-170622-2-.jpg   DO-24T: The forgotten planes-dornier_do-24t-3_rnaf_x-24.jpg   DO-24T: The forgotten planes-do-24t-sar-0029218.jpg   DO-24T: The forgotten planes-xcover12b.jpg  

Last edited by Draco; 06-17-2022 at 06:47 PM.
Old 06-26-2022, 09:30 PM

Still working on the internal structure, and the wings are FAT!
I was slightly horrorized with the He-115 tickness, but this one is similar or worst. Of course, aerodynamically it's justified by the need to generate a great amount of lift at low velocity to allow takeoff from the sea, but we are talking about 17% of thickness!.
Google Adsense
Old 06-27-2022, 06:18 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.68 GB
cant wait to see more sir
Old 06-28-2022, 08:11 AM

Total Downloaded: 134.16 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco View Post
Still working on the internal structure, and the wings are FAT!
I was slightly horrorized with the He-115 tickness, but this one is similar or worst. Of course, aerodynamically it's justified by the need to generate a great amount of lift at low velocity to allow takeoff from the sea, but we are talking about 17% of thickness!.

Needless to say I could hardly believe the size of the London's upper wing - and its total wings area of 1,427 sq ft is actually greater than an Avro Lancaster.
Old 07-05-2022, 04:05 PM

Ok, retaking the Dornier after the considerable delays coming from beta-testing the other proyects I'm involved.

Designing the vertical stabilizer of the plane, I went to see the pictures of the plane and found a very important diference in the front upper side of the stabilizer. Some of the drawings show it's rounded, all the pictures I have and another set of drawings show them straight. The right shape is shown in blue.

There are two more paper models of the Do-24t, one has the right shape, the other one is wrong.

Well, mine is going to be right. So... designing the tail. And assembling the formers.

Another interesting thing that I found reserching is the history of the CM+RY. This plane was interned on Sweden, the national marks painted in black and later redesignated as F 2-90. So, why don't do a combo of this three versions of the plane in the same pack?
Attached Thumbnails
DO-24T: The forgotten planes-do-24t-050722.jpg   DO-24T: The forgotten planes-do-24t-85-3.jpg   DO-24T: The forgotten planes-dornier_do-24_walkaround_x24_dutch_air_force_2015_024_graememolineux.jpg  
Old 08-11-2022, 05:05 PM

Today I had a bit of time (no much!) to cut al the formers of the fuselage.

Now comes to glue them, and start to place the skin. The formers of the tail are already done, but not depicted.

And, if you look carefully, you'll see that the guns placements are designed to allow free movement.
Attached Thumbnails
DO-24T: The forgotten planes-dsc07992.jpg  
Old 08-11-2022, 06:54 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.74 GB
That's looking great!
Google Adsense