PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 07-03-2022, 04:23 PM

Total Downloaded: 460.83 MB
Mystery Fiddler's Green scales

I recently decided to build the Fiddler's Green B-24, B36, and B-10. I generally build in a smaller scale(1:100) and can't figure out what scale they are, and the versions I have don't have their WASM percentage that their newer stuff has. can I get some help figuring this out so I can print them at my preferred scale?
Old 07-03-2022, 05:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 871.99 MB
According to the FG website, the B-36 model has a 40'' wingspan which would make it 1/69 scale.
My PC opens PDF's with Adobe Acrobat and by adjusting the page viewing size to match an A4 sheet held over the screen, I can get a pretty close approximation of the model's scale by measuring one of the wing panels (or the sum total if multi piece), adding a bit for half of the fuselage width and then doubling that figure. Easy enough to find out the full size wingspan and then do the math.
Otherwise print off one the wings (can be at 50% to save ink) and do the math again.
Not foolproof or 100% accurate methods but the first one has worked for me on a number of occasions when I was stumped.
OR...., put a request up on here for anyone who has built the models in question and get them to measure the wingspan for you.
Old 07-03-2022, 11:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.90 GB
looking through the files..... the Martin B-10 is "Large size" is 1:32 scale and wasm of 54%. the "Regular size" is 1:48 scale and wasm of 80%.

The B-36 is wasm of 120%....does not show a scale but you should be able to calculate it from the wasm #

I can not find a scale or wsam for the B-24. But I remember reading somewhere on FG that unless otherwise noted all models were at wsam or 1:60 scale.
Old 07-04-2022, 10:51 AM

Total Downloaded: 263.00 MB
I have built John Dell's Gramper (which is a real crowd pleaser) and I think it is 1/48. it was too large to be 1/60.
Old 07-04-2022, 01:51 PM

Total Downloaded: 313.47 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to murphyaa Send a message via Skype™ to murphyaa
As someone who has worked for Fiddlersgreen (I designed the B-10. Can't remember the scale though), my bit of advice is not to use the wingspan to calculate the scale.

Chip was more of an artist than an engineer, so if the to scale wing left a gap on the page that he didn't like, it would get stretched to fill that gap.
Google Adsense
Old 07-04-2022, 03:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 158.97 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by murphyaa View Post
As someone who has worked for Fiddlersgreen (I designed the B-10. Can't remember the scale though), my bit of advice is not to use the wingspan to calculate the scale.

Chip was more of an artist than an engineer, so if the to scale wing left a gap on the page that he didn't like, it would get stretched to fill that gap.
Oh. I'm a rivet counter, so that's a big no to me then :-(
Old 07-04-2022, 06:05 PM

Total Downloaded: 460.83 MB
I apreaciate the help, I will post pics of them whin i finish them
Old 07-04-2022, 09:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.02 GB
Really the scales of Fiddlers Green models can be mysterious but we have here in the Downloads area an Excel macro that you insert the WSAM number and it identifies the scales, still performing conversions to the most used scales. WSAM at 100% equals 1/60. In the case of the B-10, contrary to what is said of other models of the Chip, it is very well made, its problem is the canopys, wrong in shape, proportion and height. There is a small problem on the underside of the wings but it is easily corrected as it is the shape at the tip of the wings that makes the rope, the cut that makes the concavity needs to be a little larger than indicated. I leave some photos of the model I am currently building, a Martim 139WC repainted by Garry 1966, this model is exactly 1/100 scale from its original scales, the regular is 1/48 and the large 1/32. There are models of the FG line that are spectacular, generally not designed by Chip, B-36/29/24 and Boeing 299 are good examples. Brewster Bucanner, Hunter, Beaver, Ju-52, S38/39, Ho-229, Me-323 and many others are excellent models and for the purpose that FG models seek, which mix quality, simplicity, education, friendly assembly are perfect .

I corrected the canopy, it was closer to the real one although still with some small errors.
Old 10-14-2022, 11:01 AM

Total Downloaded: 81.64 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by ennder View Post
looking through the files..... the Martin B-10 is "Large size" is 1:32 scale and wasm of 54%. the "Regular size" is 1:48 scale and wasm of 80%.

The B-36 is wasm of 120%....does not show a scale but you should be able to calculate it from the wasm #

I can not find a scale or wsam for the B-24. But I remember reading somewhere on FG that unless otherwise noted all models were at wsam or 1:60 scale.
for some reason i found two of these b-24, one has smaller, less detailed vertical stabilizers, the other one had them bigger and made of two pieces. still can't find any info about their wsam/scale anywhere. i would compare their wingspans but for some reason i can't find any info about them online...
Old 10-14-2022, 12:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 158.97 MB
I'm a bit practical about scales. I print the sheet where the wings are, and use a ruler. Then I divide the real plane size within the model size. It gives me the scale.

I lose a sheet of paper but I'm sure everything is fine.
Google Adsense