PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 07-15-2022, 08:54 AM

Total Downloaded: 15.79 MB
Mirage 2000 C Scissors and Planes 1/100 - Looking for advice

This is my first attempt at a Scissors and Planes 1/100 aircraft model.
Here's a partial build (details and landing gears missing).

My impressions:
- SnP models don't have instructions and it was a bit hard at the beginning to figure what all these pieces were, especially the small ones.
- 1/100 is quite small and I wonder how people manage to deal with some of the tiny pieces that are only 1 mm long.
- I don't think I managed to get a good result. Assemblies are not fitting great. Too much glue used at some places. Not perfectly symmetrical.

I will probably redo it, but I'm coming here first for some feedback on how to improve, based on the mistakes you can see in my pictures.
I have also a side question. Would enlarging the model to 1/72 or 1/48 make the build easier, and would my mistake be even more visible?
Attached Thumbnails
Mirage 2000 C Scissors and Planes 1/100 - Looking for advice-img_0710.jpg   Mirage 2000 C Scissors and Planes 1/100 - Looking for advice-img_0709.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 07-15-2022, 10:38 AM

Total Downloaded: 322.93 MB
Here is an idea- try building the same model 3-4 times each time learning how to make it better. By model nr 3 assembly will become easy as pie.

Lack of instructions is a problem but once you look up pictures and cross section drawings of subject assembly will be much simplified. One of beauties of Bruno models is that he uses the same method of assembly for pretty much all models so lessons learned on one will bear fruit on other models as well.

I always enlarge my models. Mainly because I can't see and grasp small parts. My models usually end up bit larger than 1:72 and assembly is far easier to do. some models I did in around 1:50 and they still looked very presentable but then I run into problems with finding card of proper thickness. Keep in mind that every time you make model larger you have to use thicker card.

Is it possible to build them "as is" the way they were intended? Absolutely yes, as many pictures posted here show. Look up papermate works-he scales Bruno models down to some crazy small sizes. Everything is possible once you find your technique.
Old 07-15-2022, 12:10 PM

Location: Tultepec,Estado de México; about 30 Km to downtown Mexico, City
Total Downloaded: 1.36 GB
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Sure is a long way 'til one come to more or less assembly a S&P model in a descent way. But once you managed them they are really fun to build. Another aspect is that you'll need tools for assembly them specially tweezers. Another aspect it's space storage: No large area for store them. Regards Tigertony100.
Old 07-15-2022, 04:52 PM

Total Downloaded: 871.99 MB
Karol and Tony have pretty well covered it.
Modelling is like most things: keep doing it and you'll learn by past mistakes and get better at it.
The golden rule is if someone else can get a decent result with a particular kit (case in point see above post) then at some point so will you.
Best of luck!
Old 07-15-2022, 05:59 PM

Quote:
''Oh, stop whining! Can't you just print off another one?''
This is possibly the most important tip/quote to remember when building any printed paper model. It gives us huge advantage over any other model making method I can think of.
Google Adsense
Old 07-15-2022, 11:05 PM

Thanks to all for your advice!
I have some additional questions:
- I use standard 90 g / sq.m paper. Is it thick enough for 1/100? Looks like it warps easily with the glue.
- how do you perfectly fit the tubular sections of the plane fuselage? is better to glue all sections separately and then assemble them or to create one section and then roll and glue the adjacent sections on top of the previous one?
- how do you ensure you get a symmetrical shape when it's not just a round section, for example the Mirage 2000 intake section?
Old 07-16-2022, 01:11 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.59 GB
Card modeling — S&P offerings included — is often trial and error. That’s part of the hobby. You’re learning new skills. There isn’t a one of us who hasn’t gone through a forest full of paper on models that the world will never see.

A few good tools also help. In looking at the OP’s build (which isn’t that bad given the scale, etc.) I would offer that a good burnishing tool and/or former would help with the curved parts. Perhaps something like this burnishing tool for dry transfers:
Attached Thumbnails
Mirage 2000 C Scissors and Planes 1/100 - Looking for advice-4031088e-6b3d-438d-8747-3c49accd2dfe.jpg  
Old 07-16-2022, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanners View Post
I would offer that a good burnishing tool and/or former would help with the curved parts.
Thanks for suggesting this! How are such tools used for card models? I mean I searched YouTube and found several video where these tools are used for scoring the paper and creating nice folds, but how are they use for curved parts?
Old 07-16-2022, 03:48 AM

90g paper sounds like what Bruno is recommending. I prefer next size up but I make a bit larger models.

Make separate sections and join them together. You have only two hands to hold parts.

There are few very different schools on making parts rigid enough to stay in desired shape. Bruno provides tabs that hold sections together. Glue used on them will hold them in shape. I prefer separate them and glue them inside sections but again,that is not quite that easy in 1:100 but very manageable in 1:72.

Glue is a whole other topic we have many threads on. Finding one that suits you will take a lot of trying.
Many of us have been doing it for decades and still try new glues. I use carpenter's/white glue mix due to low cost,easy cleaning and non existant smell.
Old 07-16-2022, 08:02 AM

Total Downloaded: 871.99 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butelczynski View Post
90g I use carpenter's/white glue mix due to low cost,easy cleaning and non existant smell.
Me too. It dries surprisingly quick on paper models. But spend a bit more and get the good hardware shop stuff. I've found those cheap PVA 'craft' glues aren't much good. I apply all glue with small various size modeller's paint brushes. Helps avoid getting glue where you don't want it.

I know other builders get good results with a certain Uhu glue. Pretty sure member scissors&planes (Bruno) uses it.