PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 08-01-2022, 11:34 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Great to see that you have another project underway, Tyler. I look forward to watching your progress here and seeing the actual model in Sterling in October.

Don
Old 08-02-2022, 01:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.92 MB
In the first update to the Scratch Built SpitFire, I've got for ya the engine mounting assembly, some progress on the engine, and a bit of the fuselage.

To start off, the engine has been an absolute joy to work on. I'm loving how it's coming along. The colors, the details, the shape of it all. The only thing I'm not too thrilled about is that when put into the mount, it seems a bit small. I thought my scaling was accurate, but it seems that I was a tad off on my reference photo. To fix that large gap behind the engine I plan on rebuilding and enlarging all of the components on the bulkhead. That will help get rid of some of the dead space. I will also rebuild the carburetor, make it extend a bit further back and give it some more detail as well. My hope is, that once all the wires, lines, and parts are build that a whole bunch of that dead space will be used up. I still need to add and build components for the engine, I had to build the mount so that I knew how much space I had to work with. So far, I've only had to rip one thing off. I'll adjust it and remount it so that it fits.
The engine is approximately 95% paper. The only things not paper are the wire pushrods on the back, soldering wire along the spark plug lines, fishing line for the super thin wires, and a few toothpick dowels along the reducer gear in the front. I've recently started using receipt paper for small dowels instead of wood as the diameter can be adjusted, I can also get very small details such as the bolts along the heads and mounting points built into components for the wires to lead into, that allows for ease of gluing. This engine would not have been possible with the amount of detail in it if it were not for the hole punch I've got. Many of the bolts and rivets are 1mm punched circles.

The engine mount assembly is made of 1/8" dowels mounted to the bulkhead. Nothing too special about it. I will however note that due to the length required from spinner to bulkhead scaled up on my reference drawing is the reason there is so much dead space behind the engine. I need 13.5cm for all to remain to scale.

The fuselage parts I've got built so far will house the landing gear control mechanism, just aft of the bulkhead in the empty space you see down there. The gauges will be on the furthest aft rib, and the rudder assembly will be in in front of it. I still need to build a few ribs for that area for support mounting.

As I continue building the fuselage I have to keep in mind that I have no clue how I'm going to build the flaps and aileron controls into the fuselage so I have to keep space in mind for that step once it comes.

All in all I'm happy with how its coming along and look forward to seeing the nose of the plane done. I'm excited to work on the cockpit the most as that is always my favorite part of any build.

God, this plane is going to be big...
Attached Thumbnails
Scratch Built Supermarine Spitfire MK.V-20220802_124634.jpg   Scratch Built Supermarine Spitfire MK.V-20220802_124649.jpg   Scratch Built Supermarine Spitfire MK.V-20220802_124708.jpg   Scratch Built Supermarine Spitfire MK.V-20220802_124732.jpg   Scratch Built Supermarine Spitfire MK.V-20220802_124716.jpg  

Old 08-02-2022, 06:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 770.5 KB
Looking forward to seeing this one grow! I understand the big plane thing. For the past 15 years I’ve been building 1/4 scale RC airplanes until I realized I was out of room……then I went to 1:72 plastic, now I stick with 1:33 or larger mainly due to eye strain!
Old 08-02-2022, 10:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.90 MB
An excellent and special idea... absolutely impressive work.

YOAV
Old 08-03-2022, 02:41 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.68 GB
amazing build love the power plant looks awesome
Google Adsense
Old 08-03-2022, 03:20 AM

Total Downloaded: 667.32 MB
Did you hear it? My jaw drop into dust when I saw this. One guy on the net did 1/5 very precise replica but he used metal and balsa frame construktion. This will be paper unique!
Old 08-03-2022, 06:17 AM

Total Downloaded: 770.5 KB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepo View Post
Did you hear it? My jaw drop into dust when I saw this. One guy on the net did 1/5 very precise replica but he used metal and balsa frame construktion. This will be paper unique!
Are you talking about David Glen? His airplanes are more accurate than the real thing!

Warbirds in my Workshop | David Glen: scratch build model maker
Old 08-03-2022, 09:42 AM

Total Downloaded: 134.16 MB
Looks pretty good to me. There will be a coolant (?) tank wrapped around the front shaft and an oil tank underneath, plus the exhaust stubs, which will fill out some of the space at least at the front.
Old 08-03-2022, 01:24 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.92 MB
mor54, the more I learn about this aircraft the more I'm impressed with the design, beauty, and effectiveness of this plane.

Don Boose, it was a challenge to find a new project worth investing a lot of time in. To be honest I started the spit as a simple quick project, but alas its turned into muuuuch more.

Dion Dunn, this plane is growing quick.. I've got the main spar done, next step in the list is to get more framework done. I'm starting to enjoy larger sizes. It is quite easier to design the frame.

YOAVHOZMI, thank you for the comment. I look forward to posting more updates.

rifleman, still lots of work on the engine.. lots...

Pebo, Thank you for the exceptional compliment. I really do appreciate it.

Siwi, yep, I've got some parts to finish. On the engine itself I will build the coolant tank over the reducer gear, coolant lines, the oil tank below the engine, oil lines, electrical circuit boxes mounted to the frame, the exhaust ports, and the carb.
Old 08-05-2022, 11:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 51.66 MB
Awesome job!

ˇImpresionante trabajo!
Google Adsense