PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 07-26-2022, 01:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.92 MB
Scratch Built Supermarine Spitfire MK.V

WELCOME!!!!

This is my second model that I will have the privilege to share the build progress with you all here on the forum. For Tonight's special I'll be bringing you the first 20ish hours of work that I've got done.

But first, I would like to share with you my plans for this model.

For this model my focus is extreme detail and accuracy to the actual MK.V Spitfire. This model will have an engine without cowling. I will build it to show the engine and all associated components. I have yet to decide if I will somehow build a removable cowl to fit around it to close it all up. Moving aft, the cockpit will be as accurate to the actual plane as possible with all gauges, controls, and structure/substructures. The wing will be built as if it were being built in the manufacturing shop. By building a removable panel over the top of one side of the wing, it will feature exposed spars, ribs, and stringers. It will also feature the guns, landing gear assembly, and associated internal wing components. On top of all of this, the model will also feature controllable/functional ailerons, flaps, elevator, rudder, retractable main landing gear, open/close cockpit canopy, and cockpit door

The model will sit approximately ~20cm(8'') tall, ~67cm(26'') long, with a wingspan of ~85cm(33''). Huh... now that I do the math, that is pretty damn big. I must have messed up my scaling somehow.. It was supposed to be ~60cm wingspan and ~45cm length.. Oh well. I guess I'll just have a really big model. I now have no idea where I will put this once it is done. My wife is going to love me.. Maybe I'll build into it sections that sperate..

Onto the photos, I didn't take a whole lot of pics during the build process. between the 3rd and 4th photos is a rebuild of almost the entire engine due to my lovely dog, she ate it... damn dog. The engine still has a lot of work to do on it. I expect the next update will show some significant progress on it.

I'm excited to bring you another model using my unique build style. I hope you all enjoy the updates as they come; I look forward to keeping them coming.

I expect that I will have this model, super unfinished, at the 2022 IPMC. There I will be working on it for those interested in seeing me scratch build live.
Attached Thumbnails
Scratch Built Supermarine Spitfire MK.V-20220726_123720.jpg   Scratch Built Supermarine Spitfire MK.V-20220726_123122.jpg   Scratch Built Supermarine Spitfire MK.V-20220716_101335.jpg   Scratch Built Supermarine Spitfire MK.V-20220726_122954.jpg   Scratch Built Supermarine Spitfire MK.V-20220726_123013.jpg  

Scratch Built Supermarine Spitfire MK.V-20220726_123021.jpg   Scratch Built Supermarine Spitfire MK.V-20220726_123028.jpg   Scratch Built Supermarine Spitfire MK.V-20220726_123036.jpg   Scratch Built Supermarine Spitfire MK.V-20220713_103658.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 07-26-2022, 01:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.68 GB
cant wait to see more of your build looking great
Old 07-26-2022, 04:39 PM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
what an awesome project!
Old 07-26-2022, 06:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 912.66 MB
Very nice work. It will be a great project.

Your helper wasn't much help to you.

Gary

Design Group Alpha
https://ecardmodels.com/vendors/design-group-alpha
Old 07-27-2022, 08:32 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
Oh, wow, that's a very ambitious project! In any case you're off to a great start and apart from the very detailed engine, the fire wall bulkhead looks fantastic too. What's the scale of your model? By the sizing you mentioned (the one with the 60cm wingspan), that should be around 1:16, in other words, twice the size of a 1:33 Halinski type of Spitfire. Very cool. You have my full attention and I wish you a lot of success with the build.

Cheers,
Erik
Google Adsense
Old 07-27-2022, 02:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 134.16 MB
This is going to be amazing. What paint and squadron markings are you thinking of - I see the blueprints are of Douglas Bader's famous machine?
Old 07-28-2022, 08:05 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.92 MB
Rifleman, Airdave, MacSongLi, thank you for the comments. I appreciate the support.

Erik Zwaan, I did the math and its roughly 1:13 - 1:14. The size will be a bit of a factor down the line, maybe an excuse to get a bigger desk.. One benefit it offers is that I will have lots of space for internal details and functioning components. I'm excited as this will be the largest model I've ever made. I was right about my wife not being too excited about the size haha.

Siwi, I'm not sure what paint scheme I'm going to shoot for. I've always kinda liked the look of the tan/brown scheme or the green/grey one too. I'm up for input though. If there was a spitfire pilot of significance, perhaps I'll use that scheme.
Old 07-28-2022, 12:09 PM

Well, Bader's Mk.V D-B already exists in paper in several scales. There's WGCDR Robert Stanford-Tuck's Mk.Vb RS-T in which he reached his final total of thirty victories before being shot down and captured in 1942. Paddy Finucane (28 victories) flew ZD-F. Both of the latter had the grey/green camo scheme - the tan and brown was mostly used for units in NAT which tended to be tropicalised versions with the nose filter.
Old 07-30-2022, 11:06 AM

Don't know if you've seen it already, but I found a very extensive walkaround video of a Spit at Duxford which also explains many of the features in depth: Spitfire Mk5B LF Walk-Around With Pilot David Petters | IWM RAF Duxford - YouTube

This playlist is also an excellent in-depth resource, featuring the same aircraft (G-MKVB) as above: Spitfire Mk V – An Overview - YouTube
Old 08-01-2022, 10:41 AM

Total Downloaded: 62.27 MB
T haf, you have started an amazing modeling of one of the greatest aircraft. Waiting to see more of it.

Shalom Mor
Google Adsense