PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 01-07-2023, 03:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.02 GB
Smile Dornier Do-24 1/100 Draco Models WIP

Hello friends!

Starting the second model of 2023, this time we are going with another airboat from the Draco Models seaplane series, this time it is the very welcome Dornier Do-24 in the 1/100 scale.

An important note to say is that at first Alejandro will not offer the model in 1/100 scale, but in 1/72 and 1/33, but he accepts special orders, when the model is ready for sale, consult him.

Speaking about the plane, the lineage of the Dornier 24 goes back to the famous Dornier Wal (Whale), it was a development of the twin-engine Dornier Do-18 ordered by the Netherlands in the 1930s to replace the Wal airboats in the Dutch Navy operating in the then East Netherlands Indies (now Indonesia), initial production provided for the use of American engines (the same used by the Martin 139WH-2, WH-3 by ML-KNIL), after four prototypes built for the Dutch who were enthusiastic about the plane were ordered to Dornier 13 aircraft and a production license for Aviolanda to produce a further 90 airframes.

The Dutch used Do-24s in combat against the Japanese with some success, one of which sank the Japanese destroyer IJN Shinonome. After the Japanese invasion and the final defeat of Dutch colonial authority, the surviving Do-24s were escaped to Australia and used by the RAAF as transports in the Borneo campaign of 1943.

Initially, the Luftwaffe showed no interest in the Do-24, but submitted it for evaluation in competition with the less conventional BV-138, which in the end was chosen. But the invasion of Holland and the need for seaplanes for SAR and patrol because the war, made the German occupation authorities reactivate the Aviolanda line and build 50 more planes that were for the Dutch, initially equipped with American engines, soon they were refitted with Bramo engines also produced in the Netherlands. Holland occupied. In France, a second production line was activated at CAMS, producing more than 85 aircraft.

The Luftwaffe used the Do-24 in virtually every theater of operation it engaged from Russia to Greece, it was much appreciated by pilots, especially for its open sea performance making it an ideal aircraft for SAR, replacing the obsolete Heinkel He-59 biplane. Spain received some that were used for SAR during the war, rescuing pilots from both sides in the conflict, and they were used for many years after the war, only being retired in 1971. France also used many after the war in the 1950s for patrol and SAR, until they were replaced by helicopters.

It is worth noting that a Do-24 was restored, transforming it into the Do-24 ATT version with new wings and P&W turboprop engines, amphibious capacity and new systems, in a proposal to reactivate the production of this classic in the 21st century, precisely to serve as a commercial aircraft. for cargo and for SAR.

In the next post we will analyze the model.
Google Adsense
Old 01-08-2023, 02:11 PM

Well friends as promised a previous analysis of the model.

Like all previous Draco models, the Do-24 was hand-drawn and then vectorised. The textures are eye-catching, reproducing the Luftwaffe's maritime colors exactly (RLM 72 and 73). I asked Alejandro, especially that this model also had the possibility of having the parts that simulate glass have a blue option, because on my epson the textured color of the window was confused with the general colors of the texture (but this is a problem with the printer, not of model).

As with other Draco models the Do-24 has extensive use of formers, which is never a problem as long as they are fitted in the correct weight and alignment.

The construction will have two separate blocks: one with the fuselage and the other with the wings and engines. I hope to start this Monday. Until then!
Old 01-08-2023, 03:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 134.16 MB
Will be following with eager interest!
Old 01-08-2023, 04:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 871.99 MB
And me. The Do.24 was a nice looking 'boat.
Old 01-15-2023, 07:20 PM

Smile

Thanks my friends! Today I star the model, make laminations with cardboard and study the instructions.

Alejandro improves his presentation and designer quality from model to model. Having already built Modelcard's Dornier Do-18 at 1/100 scale, I can say that the building approach is very similar.

The 1/100 version is made for me

In addition to the textures that I mentioned earlier and that I really liked, I laminated it with cardboard using 3M spray glue, to cut it safely you need to wait 24 hours.

This week I start the fuselage that has a set of complex formers, like the Stranraer that I already demonstrated here.
Google Adsense
Old 01-16-2023, 06:01 AM

Total Downloaded: 134.16 MB
I'm doing the beta of the 1/72 version. The formers fit absolutely perfectly, as do the mounts for the turrets. It's a very nice kit to put together.
Old 01-16-2023, 02:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 264.09 MB
I noticed, that the fuselage segments are attached with tab lips being part of the segment itself. The assembly will then have ridges where a segment is postioned over the tabs. Why not use strip tabs at the inside of the segments, so that you obtain a flush fuselage?
Old 01-16-2023, 07:21 PM

Thanks my friends!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scon10 View Post
I noticed, that the fuselage segments are attached with tab lips being part of the segment itself. The assembly will then have ridges where a segment is postioned over the tabs. Why not use strip tabs at the inside of the segments, so that you obtain a flush fuselage?
I'll probably do this in general the tabs on 90% of my builds are removed and replaced with strips. But in this case, as it's a test to keep it as original as the designer thought, I'll try to keep it. I don't use cardboard for coating on small scales, but 120gsm offset paper, so sometimes the step is non-existent or imperceptible.
Old 01-16-2023, 07:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 158.97 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by scon10 View Post
I usually place the tabs as a help to the beginer-medium modeler. I tend to use a thin paper internally reinforced on strategic places, so the tabs aren't feld so much. Of course an expert modelist can remove tabs, include extra ones (I encourage it) replace the windows with acetate ones and many many more.
Old 01-23-2023, 09:50 PM

Smile

Well friends!

We started the construction of the Do-24, initially with the structures that make up the internal reinforcements of the fuselage/hull. By far the most complex I've caught so far testing Alejandro's models (I think it rivals maybe Stranraer). I used 3mm thick double laminated cardboard. All alignments were checked with a small 90 degree square. The collages were time consuming and sought to be as accurate as possible. Some adjustments needed to be made with sandpaper to make the parts uniform and without excesses.

Some parts to glue require the use of sewing and hair clips (made of tinplate, highly malleable and adaptable). Now it's time to wait 24 hours for everything to dry and start installing the coating.
Google Adsense