PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 02-27-2023, 11:39 AM

Total Downloaded: 517.40 MB
Shvetsov M-11 radial engine

Probably one of the most produced aircraft engines when all the 19 variants are counted in. Used on 19 different airplanes and at least two propeller driven motor sleds. Soviet design by A.D. Shvetsov and produced between 1923-1953. Some estimates I could find say the total number being over 100.000 engines built and that is not hard to believe since Polikarpov Po-2 which was powered by M-11 reached over 50.000 units made.

I took the engine from the Kartonowa Kolekcja Polikarpov Po-2 LNB kit. I bought it when I years ago was thrilled by Leif Ohlsson's Po-2 threads, both building a 1/16 scale and research he made back then. You can visit his Po-2 thread here and get there reference he gathered from the downloads if you are interested. Fabulous stuff.

I built the engine because I stumbled upon those Leif's threads recently, remembered I have the kit and wanted to give it a try. At least the engine. ;-)

Built according to instructions, sole addition to the motor are the spark plug wires. Push rods for valve rockers are then cardboard strips, ignition wires solder wire and air intake tubes solder wire inside a shrink tube. And the prop spins too. :D

Regards,

Tappi
Attached Thumbnails
Shvetsov M-11 radial engine-1-engine-shvetsov-m-11.jpg   Shvetsov M-11 radial engine-2.jpg   Shvetsov M-11 radial engine-3-engine-prop.jpg   Shvetsov M-11 radial engine-4-backside.jpg   Shvetsov M-11 radial engine-5-scale-pic.jpg  

Shvetsov M-11 radial engine-6-kartonowa-kolekcja-kit.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 02-27-2023, 12:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 55.56 MB
Fabulous looking motor. That will show very nicely on the PO-2. Maybe it's time to follow up with the aircraft now?
Old 02-27-2023, 03:36 PM

Total Downloaded: 912.66 MB
Great work. Nicely detailed.

Gary

Design Group Alpha
https://ecardmodels.com/vendors/design-group-alpha
Old 02-27-2023, 03:56 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Magnificent engine, Tappi.

And I am always glad to see Leif's great works on aviation history and paper modeling revitalized in our Forum. Thanks for that.

Don
Old 02-27-2023, 06:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 871.99 MB
Nice work Tappi.
I have a real appreciation for large scale 'parts of aircraft' models like engines and cockpits. Both are often buried within a whole model and don't get the full respect they deserve.
Old 02-27-2023, 09:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 669.56 MB
It looks like it would run if you pulled the prop through a couple of times. Wonderful model.
Old 02-28-2023, 01:17 AM

Thank you fellows. There's so much content in this site so I occasionally spend quite some time digging into the vast history of threads just to refresh my memory and the fond moments I've had here so far. Some of that history should definately be revitalized like Don mentioned. I share Rata's notion about interesting parts being buried into models - if I could choose I'd build only engines and cockpits. :D

Luckily there are few engine alone kits. Rolls Royce Merlin from Spitfire, Walther HVK from Messerschmitt Me 163, Klimov VK-1 from Mig-15 and Daimler Benz 601 from Messerschmitt Bf 109. Can be found in our download section if someone wants to give them a try.

As usually one thing leads to another and I've started to build the cockpit too. :-)

Tappi
Old 02-28-2023, 04:41 AM

Total Downloaded: 134.16 MB
Great to see this - agree about engines being worthy of their own models, considering that they are often on display in museums.

I'm about to attempt a scratchbuilt Jumo 213 for a model but not sure it will reach this level of skill.
Old 02-28-2023, 11:03 AM

Thanks Siwi. Jumo 213 to with your Ju-88 G6? The only visible details you'll end up doing are the engine supports and cowling struts not much else to see behind those but a big block so no worries. Couple of pics attached to make my point.

Tappi
Attached Thumbnails
Shvetsov M-11 radial engine-1.jpg   Shvetsov M-11 radial engine-2.jpg  
Old 02-28-2023, 04:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 871.99 MB
.....or how about a P&W R-4360? 28 cylinders and the C-124 Globemaster had four of 'em.
I moan about changing six spark plugs on my car- imagine having to do 112 of them!