PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 01-08-2023, 04:05 PM

Total Downloaded: 134.16 MB
S&P/Brent Ju-88G-6

Hello all,

Having finished the Seafire just before the new year, I decided to start on some Axis types for my Allied fighters to dual with. The first will be a Junkers Ju-88 G-6 nightfighter, a repaint by Brent.

The Ju-88 is amongst the fifteen most produced types in history and served in almost every imaginable role during WW2, although it was originally conceived as a fast medium bomber. The G- series were all nightfighter variants and had various kinds of interesting radar antenna on the nose, which was not glazed like the bombers. Equally notorious was the 'Schrage Musik' upwards-firing cannon which were deadly against Allied bombers that the radar sets had located. British types in particular had basically no ventral firing ability and would be unable to spot the Ju-88 and Bf-110 attacks from below.

Brent's repaint depicts a machine from 1944 in service with NJG-2, C9-AC, painted with a mottled grey/pine green scheme. Lots of nice little details such as fuel tank markings and weathering. It does have the Hakencross on the tail, so I removed the centre to retain the outline of the marking without actually having the symbol itself.

The first task was to scale the model up to 1/72 from 1/100. This involved working out how to print it at 129% as the template is on a single sheet. With some trial and error, I found I could select half the page of the pdf, save it as a new pdf and then print that at the increased scale rotated 90 degrees.

As the model does not include any formers (we'll talk about that later) and intends the wings to be attached only on the outside I cut holes and made a strong wing spar to set the dihedral. The tail surfaces also received strengthening formers. All control surfaces were cut off and reattached with a hairline gap; the cockpit, entry hatch and rear wheel well were opened and internal join strips were made. As with the Seafire, panel cuts and rivets were created with a pin, although this is largely educated guesswork as I could not find blueprints that showed them.

I had to ask the community what the fan-like structure on the mid fuselage was - turns out it's a direction-finding aerial, which was housed under a perspex cover. Some clear film was stuck over to suggest this.

Google Adsense
Old 01-08-2023, 04:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 871.99 MB
Gonna be a beauty!
Old 01-09-2023, 03:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 627.45 MB
I'll be watching. Looks good so far.

Brent
Old 01-09-2023, 04:52 PM

Total Downloaded: 158.97 MB
When researching a plane, I always write "plane name" walk around.
So I found this Junkers Ju 88 '-' Walk Around '-' NET'-'MAQUETTES
Old 01-09-2023, 07:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 322.93 MB
I also upsize Bruno models to about 1:72 or larger scale and I always make my own spars. Usually I make them round on a dowel,cut in the middle,set dihedral and glue strip of paper on top to keep dihedral as intended. With larger/thicker wings I make square or rectangular spars. Huge "thank you" to Aaron Murphy for teaching me this method while working on his models. I found his method the easiest to do on-the-fly.

What I'd like to know is how did you manage to glue wings on your 88? I tried building them twice and failed making them even close to yours. They came out warped and I'm sure I missed something.
Google Adsense
Old 01-09-2023, 07:30 PM

Total Downloaded: 871.99 MB
Karol, I had the wing to fuselage problem (and what I did to fix it) with the A-4 I built a while back.
Here's the link to the thread post. It runs over a couple of pages.

My 1/100 Repaints and OOB Builds
Old 01-09-2023, 07:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 322.93 MB
Thanks. Yes,we wrote about it before. I would try 88 again if I wasn't backed up with other models. I'm finishing Bombay now.
Old 01-10-2023, 05:10 PM

Well, to answer the question about the wing:

Firstly, the whole wing is a double layer of 160gsm, with a further layer to secure the scored panel lines once bent to the profile (although don't cut along the leading edge and then bend, I will need to rectify the trenches this has caused). The whole skin is pretty stiff. Secondly, the flaps and ailerons were removed, filled to form a wedge shape and re-installed with gaps along the hinges. This means I never use the supplied glue tabs to close up a wing, I glue edge to edge or use inset internal tabs, and sometimes sand to a thinner leading edge. I also don't glue the wingtips until last.

For attachment, I cut a forward and rear slot into the wing outline on the fuselage and made spars to push through, with a thicker front spar from a stack of mount board slices which is shaped to give the dehedral (it's not enough to match the blueprints but it's got a bit of upwards angle). The wings are pushed tight into the fuselage, glued to the spars, and then superglued where they meet the fuselage. Wing root fillets will be added from scratch which will hide any gaps.
Old 02-14-2023, 03:23 PM

Time to get back to this - I have been doing the 1/72 beta build of Draco's Do-24 flying boat (which you should all build) for the last month.
Returning to my parts tray, the logical thing to work on was the half-built port engine. Almost all 88's had Jumo inline engines, but with a round frontal radiator which makes them look like radials - a British ID training film actually states 'treat them as radials'. This is a godsend to the modeller as it means we can build a relatively simple tube shape cowl but not have to make individual cylinders. The exhausts are flame-damping tubes, which avoids having to make individual stubs as well!
The fromt plate was thickly reinforced and had some grooves scored with a knife to suggest the mesh of the radiator tubes. This was trimmed and inserted into the frontmost ring, with the cowl flaps cut as best as I could determine from photos. Toothpick pushed through the centre to mount the prop when that comes around.
For the gear fairing behind, I had already shaped the parts and cut out the hole for the L/G (the rear doors close back up once the strut is down) and cut the underside of the wing to make more space (not least to get tweezers in). Inside the gear bay, I put in a 'roof' and some simple detail on the inside, a few strips to suggest joins. This attached itself very neatly to the underside of the wing, the profile almost a perfect fit. Further forward, a simple tube was shaped and glued inside to suggest the engine, where it might be visible through the cowl flaps, then a firewall added where the front fo the gear bay will be. The whole assembly was then glued to the portion already on the wing. After several test fits, I realised there was a fit issue inboard with the parts that go around the leading edge of the wing, although the outboard is fine and the completed nacelle is lined up both on length and width axes, and with the outline drawn on the top and bottom of the wing. Not sure what has caused this but I may have seen it mentioned in other builds of this design. It will have to be rectified by making a new panel to fit over the gap.

I'm vaguely considering having the panels off on the other side and attempting a more detailed engine...thoughts? The Jumo 213 doesn't look a horribly complicated shape to design.

Old 02-14-2023, 05:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
I always enjoy learning about your building methodologies.

Don
Google Adsense

Tags
axis, ju-88, junkers, luftwaffe, nightfighter