PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 03-14-2023, 07:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
You have every right to feel good again after crafting that magnificent engine. I can smell the oil.

Don
Old 03-14-2023, 07:17 PM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
This has a good look to it, with all the engine detail showing out in front.
Old 03-15-2023, 09:55 AM

Total Downloaded: 517.40 MB
Thank you fellow modelers, your support has come to good use. ;-) Today's agenda was struts and tubes for all sorts of purposes. Started with the wing struts. Glued first the metal wires on one half of the strut. When glue had dried I pre-formed the paper part by running my finger over it. Same thing on the other side and just some corrective apply of glue to the seams. And painting the edges after that. I guessed this was the way to do it, at least it worked.

Because there was a lot of waiting the glue and the paints to dry I simultaneously took a look at the armament - a 7.62 mm ShKAS machine gun and six FAB 50sv (50kg) general purpose bombs (FAB='fugasnaya aviatsionnaya bomba'). The gun will end up in the model but I'm not sure of the bombs yet. Attaching them to the racks is quite finicky but we will see.

With this work I started edge colouring with water colours and it was fine. But soon I got bored having to start every time by mixing the right color and shade. Because I didn't have the patience to do so I went and bought the colours from my hobby shop. Vallejo offers just the right medicine for this headache. If you are modeling WW2 Russian planes these are your choice. No affiliation of any kind to any parties. :D

All the necessary preparations are almost done and then the exciting phase is in order - the assembly. I have to prepare a detailed plan for that before I start so there might not be an update for a while.

Tappi
Attached Thumbnails
Shvetsov M-11 radial engine-28-wing-struts.jpg   Shvetsov M-11 radial engine-29-wires-glued-inside.jpg   Shvetsov M-11 radial engine-30-forming.jpg   Shvetsov M-11 radial engine-33-sense-scale.jpg   Shvetsov M-11 radial engine-31-colors.jpg  

Old 03-16-2023, 02:10 AM

Just that promised no updates then there is an update. I just couldn't resist the temptation because this just looks so nice - all in order for the assembly. Now all I need is a good plan and working order.

Tappi
Attached Thumbnails
Shvetsov M-11 radial engine-34-puzzle.jpg  
Old 03-16-2023, 09:34 AM

It does look nice! I enjoyed seeing all the parts laid out in preparation for assembly.

This is museum quality work!

Don
Google Adsense
Old 03-17-2023, 02:50 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
Excellent work Tappi, very impressive!!

Erik
Old 03-18-2023, 03:46 AM

Thanks Don and Erik. As you both know an inventory of parts before assembly leads to phase called CAA - corrections, alterations and additions. But it's good, while doing those tasks I work to sum up a good plan of assembling the thing. I'll get back shortly with photos.

Tappi
Old 03-18-2023, 11:30 AM

Corrections, alterations and additions. That's what I promised. I started doing a makeover with the wheels. The way they are done is to stack some laser cut disks and glue a skin on both sides that portray both the rim and the tire side. Problem is that it's very hard to get the tire colour to match the printed side so I cut the rim disks out, sanded the tires and painted them with my chosen colour and then glued the rims back. I also added an axle hub on the outside, it was missing from the kit. Much better now.

The other thing that needed a remake was the machine gun. I can't figure out how I noticed this so late though I had Chris Coyles build to study and my own references too. The one that's in the kit looks like a mixed breed between Lewis and Degtryajov, not the ShKAS it is supposed to be. No pan because ShKAS was belt fed. Now corrected and decorated with some wooden parts.

Bomb racks needed some detailing too. Quite finicky parts but they look nice.

Wing roots needed attention too. Wing surface is protected with battens on the root and there are few steps too. Those are printed on the wing skin. Kit offers black strips and 3D steps to enhance the appearance. I used the steps but made my own battens from a thicker card board because those battens are quite prominent on real things.

Finally I got the plane on its feet. Landing gear was a nightmare to assemble but I got it made. And the wheels turn too. ;-)

Enough excitement for me today, I'll continue tomorrow.

Tappi
Attached Thumbnails
Shvetsov M-11 radial engine-35-some-makeovers.jpg   Shvetsov M-11 radial engine-36-new-wheels.jpg   Shvetsov M-11 radial engine-37-correct-machine-gun.jpg   Shvetsov M-11 radial engine-38-bomb-rack-details.jpg   Shvetsov M-11 radial engine-39-wing-root-details.jpg  

Shvetsov M-11 radial engine-40-wing-root-battens.jpg   Shvetsov M-11 radial engine-41-foot.jpg   Shvetsov M-11 radial engine-42.jpg  
Old 03-18-2023, 07:49 PM

Truly superb work. A feast for the eyes.

Don
Old 03-18-2023, 11:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.90 MB
very good job, very good.

YOAV
Google Adsense