PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 03-19-2023, 12:47 AM

Total Downloaded: 871.99 MB
Beautiful model taking shape Tappi.
Old 03-20-2023, 11:52 AM

Total Downloaded: 517.40 MB
Thanks Don, Yoav and Rata. Every once and a while things go smoothly and then*they suddenly don't. I've built my fair share of stringbacks back in my plastic modeling history so I knew what was ahead of me. But oh boy was this hard this time.

First I spent quite some time getting the lower wings attached firmly and with at least somewhat acceptable dihedral. It took some aeronautical acrobacy to get it done since there are no helping beams or locators, just two miniscule flat sides.

And on I went with the upper wing. I don't go into details I just say it was a regular nightmare which left quite some ugly battlescars to be retouched.

I had to detach the engine to be able to roll the plane in my hands more freely. In the middle of the struggle I noticed that the stabilizer was not level so off it went with the rudder. Ailerons got loose etc. Aargh!

After a good night's sleep things already looked better today. I got everything back in place and started working with the control cables. The actuators for the elevators at the center of the fuselage on both sides are a bit tricky. Those are glued on the sides with a 1 mm area and you probably can imagine how hard it is with that design to get the cables tight. I probably have to make an axle through the hull to hold them or change from cord to steel wire. We'll see.

Wing support cables I will make from 0,4 mm steel wire. It's a bit too shiny for the purpose but so much better to work with than any other medium I can think of. Last picture shows the current status affairs. Now that the engine is off I still have the option that the eventual outcome of all this is a decent model of an aircraft motor. ;-)

Tappi
Attached Thumbnails
Shvetsov M-11 radial engine-43-acrobatics.jpg   Shvetsov M-11 radial engine-44-upper-wing-next.jpg   Shvetsov M-11 radial engine-45-nightmare.jpg   Shvetsov M-11 radial engine-47-current-status.jpg  
Old 03-20-2023, 12:14 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
This looks like museum quality work. I see no evidence of the battle scars.

I could not possibly have done the work you did to attach that wing.

This is a beautiful model!

Don
Old 03-20-2023, 02:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 871.99 MB
Don's right- it IS truly a beautiful model.
Old 03-21-2023, 12:31 PM

Please don't think that I don't appreciate what I've accomplished here because that's not the case. Previous 'rant' was just to demonstrate the anxiety I build up when things don't go my way and that it usually is also followed by a series of mistakes. That's just how it is with me. I tone that down and assure you that I'm a resilient person and I'm not giving up on this. Having said that, I confess that I'm also my worst critic but I guess that something in common with all modelers. ;-)

So let me proudly present the phase I'm in now. Only a few bits and pieces are missing from the model so my next report will be the final pictures.

Tappi
Attached Thumbnails
Shvetsov M-11 radial engine-48.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 03-21-2023, 04:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 55.56 MB
That's a fine lookin build! I haven't produced and aircraft that came out that clean or good looking. Bravo!!
Old 03-22-2023, 10:46 AM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Real nice looking aircraft in that photo Tappi.
Despite the difficulties you describe, this has come along quickly.
Also . . . the gold/orange background of the photo accents the model nicely.

Last edited by Michael Mash; 03-22-2023 at 10:51 AM. Reason: Added comment
Old 03-22-2023, 11:47 AM

Today's task was to add all the small details to the plane. I don't have names for them but they are very small. During that detailing I decided to do one more major enhancement to the model - the control cables needed to be something else than black sewing thread.

I found suitable wire but had difficulties in straightening it. Then I came up with an idea that the wire might lose its memory if I heated it up. Down to the kitchen and up with our 'crème brûleé' torch and a heavy fork for weight. Trusted pliers did the holding. Worked like a dream. And the wire looks so much better than the previous 'shoestring' don't you think.

I have an aunt I take care of on a*weekly basis and she is a war veteran from*the Continuation War against the Soviet Union 1941-44. She was a member of Lotta Svärd organization, a paramilitary women core that took part in the war efforts also in the front line as nurses, in food supply and also air surveillance which was my aunt's duty. Located in some high places like root tops, hills, towers etc. they had their eyes and ears open for the enemy planes. Equipment was a pelorus, binoculars and a radio. Polikarpov Po-2s flew over Finland on the front so she may have even spotted one. If things go well she will be 100 years old coming September.

Just some minor retouching to do and then I take the final pictures but here's a sneak peak of the finished model for all you who have followed this exercise. Michael Mash pointed out above that this has been quite a fast build. Only four weeks since I started. Next time I must take things slower and easier.

Tappi
Attached Thumbnails
Shvetsov M-11 radial engine-49-final-parts.jpg   Shvetsov M-11 radial engine-50-wire-control-cables.jpg   Shvetsov M-11 radial engine-51-tools-trade.jpg   Shvetsov M-11 radial engine-52-first-cable-place.jpg   Shvetsov M-11 radial engine-53-sneak-peak.jpg  

Old 03-22-2023, 01:52 PM

Total Downloaded: 683.22 MB
A most incredible build. I have enjoyed following your journey.

Out of curiosity, I was wondering if any use carbon fibre rod for rigging and cables. Smallest size I had found in hobby shops was .3 mm but have not tried it on cardstock models (to tell the truth, I have avoided biplanes because of rigging and control cables).

Again, a lovely build.

Regards,
John
Old 03-22-2023, 04:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 679.43 MB
beautiful factory fresh PO 2.

Ready for the Night Witches!

Isaac
Google Adsense