Old 04-11-2023, 09:48 AM

Total Downloaded: 224.83 MB
Nice collection and awesome work!
Old 04-11-2023, 12:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 679.43 MB
Exclamation Comparisons

Here is a visual comparison of these three Meteor versions:

Canopies
Meteor F1 - conventional WW2 framed canopy with clear stationary aft section Gloster Meteor mk 3- Fly models in 1/33 scale-img_8323.jpg

Meteor F3 - bubble canopy with clear stationary aft section ----------------------Gloster Meteor mk 3- Fly models in 1/33 scale-img_8324.jpg

Meteor F8 - full one piece bubble/modern canopy slides aft ----------------------Gloster Meteor mk 3- Fly models in 1/33 scale-img_8325.jpg

Nacelle
Meteor F1 - original short nacelle -------------------------------------------Gloster Meteor mk 3- Fly models in 1/33 scale-img_8326.jpg

Meteor F3 - slightly longer nacelle forward of the wing--------------------Gloster Meteor mk 3- Fly models in 1/33 scale-img_8327.jpg

Meteor F8 larger engine and long nacelles aft and forward of the wings--Gloster Meteor mk 3- Fly models in 1/33 scale-img_8328.jpg

Tail section :
Meteor F1 - rounded fins --------------------------------------------Gloster Meteor mk 3- Fly models in 1/33 scale-img_8329.jpg

Meteor F3 - essentially the same tail surfaces-----------------------------Gloster Meteor mk 3- Fly models in 1/33 scale-img_8330.jpg

Meteor F8 - completely different straight lines surfaces ( vertical and horizontal ) - Gloster Meteor mk 3- Fly models in 1/33 scale-img_8331.jpg

Wing shape :

Meteor F1- rounded tips - Gloster Meteor mk 3- Fly models in 1/33 scale-img_8332.jpg

Meteor F3 - similar to F1 ---------------Gloster Meteor mk 3- Fly models in 1/33 scale-img_8333.jpg

Meteor F8 - wider chord and squared off tips- Gloster Meteor mk 3- Fly models in 1/33 scale-img_8334.jpg

Those are the main visuals.

Isaac
Old 04-12-2023, 09:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
Hi Isaac, that's really a very interesting and original ending of this thread, to compare the different versions. Never realized that the F8 had shorter and wider wings. It wouldn't surprise me if the aircraft had relatively high take off and landing speeds to stay above stalling speed, similar to the F104.
The relative size of the engines compared to the fuselage of the F8 version is also remarkable.

Thanks for sharing this! Looking forward to the two-seater models you are planning to build.

Regards,
Erik
Old 04-13-2023, 06:52 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Zwaan View Post
Hi Isaac, that's really a very interesting and original ending of this thread, to compare the different versions. Never realized that the F8 had shorter and wider wings. It wouldn't surprise me if the aircraft had relatively high take off and landing speeds to stay above stalling speed, similar to the F104.
The relative size of the engines compared to the fuselage of the F8 version is also remarkable.

Thanks for sharing this! Looking forward to the two-seater models you are planning to build.

Regards,
Erik
Erik

As you noticed, all of my model builds are part of the technical background associated with the real ones. To me it is not just a model ( art form ), but also a representation of technology. So for me it is important to share that information. Then follow the model construction technique and any issues, lastly is my modeling skills ( which are modest by comparison to experts ).

As for the Meteor F8 version having short stubby wings, those are very wide chord and relatively thick, so they do generate lots of lift, but at relatively higher drag. The F-104 had razor thin wings designed to generate minimum lift and very low drag since it was optimized for Mach 2 operations. Did you know that there is bleed air from the engines over the flaps to generate extra lift on take off?

And for the two seater, I am waiting for a canopy design first and then do a mix and match and recolor for the trainer and night fighter.

Isaac
Old 04-13-2023, 07:26 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac View Post
Did you know that there is bleed air from the engines over the flaps to generate extra lift on take off?

Isaac
No, I didn't! A very alternative way to create extra lift, instead of using slats .
Google Adsense
Old 04-13-2023, 11:59 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Zwaan View Post
No, I didn't! A very alternative way to create extra lift, instead of using slats .
Here is a schematics of the F-104 blown flap system

Gloster Meteor mk 3- Fly models in 1/33 scale-flap-air-bleed.png

Gloster Meteor mk 3- Fly models in 1/33 scale-lockheed_f-104_starfighter_jet_flap.jpg

Isaac
Old 04-13-2023, 01:06 PM

Total Downloaded: 4.44 MB
Send a message via AIM to Cybermac Send a message via MSN to Cybermac
Isaac - that is a great job with this classic model of classic jet!
Old 04-19-2023, 08:26 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybermac View Post
Isaac - that is a great job with this classic model of classic jet!
There is something about old jet planes that I just love!

I am sure there will be more to come.

Thanks

Isaac