PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 05-28-2023, 02:01 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.34 GB
Looking great.
Old 05-29-2023, 06:39 PM

Total Downloaded: 865.44 MB
Thanks Bob, Wyvern, WiWo and Mike!

And now I've started adding the stabilizer. It's been...interesting. I think I'll get it but here is my jig. It seems pretty dang complicated but it should get things lined up pretty well.

I'm reminded of the line from Austin Powers (just the first few seconds of this linked clip).

Austin Powers - Dr. Evil assumes it all went to plan - YouTube

Hoping for the best...Dan
Attached Thumbnails
Lohner T.I 1/33rd from Orlik-p1030085.jpg  
Old 05-29-2023, 08:39 PM

It worked! Pretty well. Some touch up but it's straight and strong. I think I'll leave the elevators and rudder/fin off for now and concentrate on the engine mount/center section next. That seems like the next hurdle to overcome.

Nice...Dan
Attached Thumbnails
Lohner T.I 1/33rd from Orlik-2.jpg   Lohner T.I 1/33rd from Orlik-3.jpg   Lohner T.I 1/33rd from Orlik-4.jpg  
Old 05-29-2023, 08:57 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Ingenious.

Don
Old 06-09-2023, 10:31 PM

First...thanks Don!

And now: This looks like ridiculously little work but let me tell you! Each engine bearer was 7 pieces and were lots of fun to cut out. So skinny on the edges. Then...I needed to learn how to solder. Turns out it's fun but fraught with danger. I got this tiny part done and it looks nice but it took multiple tries. There will be a bit more soldering from here out, but hopefully I've learned a few things?

Anyway, little progress but important progress too.

Dan
Attached Thumbnails
Lohner T.I 1/33rd from Orlik-p1030089.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 06-10-2023, 02:58 PM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
First time looking in, and I'm blown away. A beautiful bird with flawless construction. Well done!
Old 06-11-2023, 12:06 AM

Thank you, Don! It's a really nice kit and I can't wait to get it all done and rigged. It'll look super cool.

Another simple jig was in order to start the trapeze. It was exciting and it's still a little delicate, but with careful soldering and additions...it should be good! I got the main supports located correctly by cutting and putting a piece of paper over the mount area, poked the holes in-line with the the fuselage decking holes located in the kit and you end up with a near perfect line-up. The forward and aft "A-frame" is also dead vertical so it's at right angles to the top of the fuselage deck so that geometry is easy.

Anyway...the state of things. I hope to strengthen it tomorrow and start the engine soon!

Stay tuned...Dan
Attached Thumbnails
Lohner T.I 1/33rd from Orlik-p1030093.jpg   Lohner T.I 1/33rd from Orlik-p1030094.jpg  
Old 06-11-2023, 02:21 AM

Total Downloaded: 136.69 MB
I'm guessing that making the jigs is as simple as using a 3-view that comes with the model kit? Or has it been more complicated than that?
Old 06-11-2023, 06:28 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.27 GB
I may have missed this in past builds but great use of modelling clay. Something I've never thought to use to hold things in place.
Old 06-11-2023, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siwi View Post
I'm guessing that making the jigs is as simple as using a 3-view that comes with the model kit? Or has it been more complicated than that?

Hi Siwi...

Actually, I only checked a 3-view from my Windsock Datafile to make sure the A-braces were not swept back or forward. The wire bending diagrams in the kit were used and I trusted that they were correct so I pushed the braces down into the balsa up to the little bend they showed. The other ends went into the engine bearers in the same way. Fit nice. This gave me the correct height from the top of the fuselage and then I just tweaked until everything was square, not leaning and straight. Finally, glue was applied and I put in a couple of cross braces to stabilize things. More of that today before painting and rigging. Not for the faint of heart, but it seems to have worked!

Thanks, Bob! We'll see how far I get for our next meeting...

Dan
Google Adsense