PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 12-16-2023, 05:13 AM

Total Downloaded: 136.69 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor View Post
I totally agree with Petestein, because the works that we have seen lately from Erick Zwaan, Riclete, Ferrarifan and some others that I don't have in mind at the moment, really take paper modeling to a supreme level, obviously they start from magnificently designed models, but the quality of the manual assembly work they perform is off the charts; which in my opinion predicts an increasingly promising future for this beautiful hobby of which I never cease to marvel that starting from a flat and relatively humble medium such as paper or cardboard, such fantastic results can be achieved.

Is it a coincidence that we have a lively hobby forum here that provides motivation, help and advice to everyone? And that the internet has also made it much easier to distribute the kits and find resources on the subject? Imagine doing this back in the 1990s; no Ecards, no way to easily find out what printed kits are available, not much digital design and modern printing, no Polish translations, no DIY recolours, far less access to research materials, and unless you can get hold of a book on paper modelling, no way to learn things that are now common knowledge like painting edges. Plus pictures on grainy film cameras rather than sharp digital phone cameras. So the modelling skills have gone up together with the general provision for the hobby.
Old 12-16-2023, 02:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Great subject and beautiful build!
Old 12-16-2023, 04:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.63 MB
Good work on the intakes Erick.

Old 12-17-2023, 10:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 865.44 MB
That's beautiful, Erik!

Dan
Old 12-19-2023, 01:13 PM

Total Downloaded: 517.40 MB
Impressive work Erik!

Tappi
Google Adsense
Old 12-19-2023, 02:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 112.04 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siwi View Post
Is it a coincidence that we have a lively hobby forum here that provides motivation, help and advice to everyone? And that the internet has also made it much easier to distribute the kits and find resources on the subject? Imagine doing this back in the 1990s; no Ecards, no way to easily find out what printed kits are available, not much digital design and modern printing, no Polish translations, no DIY recolours, far less access to research materials, and unless you can get hold of a book on paper modelling, no way to learn things that are now common knowledge like painting edges. Plus pictures on grainy film cameras rather than sharp digital phone cameras. So the modelling skills have gone up together with the general provision for the hobby.
U agree with you on almost everything you say EXCEPT about film vs. digital photography. There's nothing like a beautiful film picture, specially black and white. digital can never reach the brightness, contrast, depth and beauty of a well shot and developed film photo. No wonder film is coming back and several peoiple are now realising the advantages of analogue photos. Similar to vinyl records vs. streaming or cds,. Best wishes and Merry Christmas.
Old 12-22-2023, 09:37 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
Further engine/tail boom stories

Thank you all for your reactions and compliments, and what can I say? Maintaining a building log on this site is fun and certainly a big motivator to keep on building. I learned a lot ever since becoming a member in 2012, and many of us will likely admit, frequently visiting the site and reading about other builders' experiences is doing a lot of good to your own skills. For me creating something 3D out of a small stack of 2D paper printed full with parts is just amazing. Indeed, what one can make out of such humble and everyday material!

Going back to the Lightning, the air and oil (inter)cooler inlets for versions up to and including H had double inlets and outlets, and with a flap at the bottom side to regulate the air flow and hence the cooling itself.
Properly shaping the outlet ducts was a real challenge. The paper is in fact too thick and the internal formers are in fact not required. It took effort to properly shape the parts but once connected the resulting assembly is such dimensionally stable that internal formers aren't required. It would certainly help easing up the rest of the engine/cowling assembly.

Started off with the left cowling. I already built the internal structure for each of the engine/cowling/main landing gear bays but found it impossible to use them in one piece and cut them apart. Otherwise things get way too complicated.
The formers need to be sanded considerably and as long as the landing gear bay hasn't been fitted you simply don't know where to exactly glue the structure inside the cowling. That doesn't become clear from the instruction drawings.

Similar to the nose gear I assumed the front bulkhead of the landing gear bay would have to be flush with the mating skin so I glued the forward part of the internal structure as such. When dry-fitting parts further down the road it appeared that the bulkhead should have been glued further inside the cowling. Well, how to correct this properly is still the question so I left it there and continued with the right cowling assembly instead.
Anyways, that will be subject for next time. Happier ending though.....

By the way, the third and second last pictures are of the right cowling so at that stage both cowlings still ran in parallel .

Erik
Attached Thumbnails
P-38H Lightning, Halinski 1:33-img_9370.jpg   P-38H Lightning, Halinski 1:33-img_9371.jpg   P-38H Lightning, Halinski 1:33-img_9374.jpg   P-38H Lightning, Halinski 1:33-img_9375.jpg   P-38H Lightning, Halinski 1:33-img_9376.jpg  

P-38H Lightning, Halinski 1:33-img_9377.jpg   P-38H Lightning, Halinski 1:33-img_9378.jpg   P-38H Lightning, Halinski 1:33-img_9379.jpg   P-38H Lightning, Halinski 1:33-img_9380.jpg   P-38H Lightning, Halinski 1:33-img_9381.jpg  

P-38H Lightning, Halinski 1:33-img_9382.jpg  
Old 12-22-2023, 10:33 AM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Zwaan View Post
Thank you all for your reactions and compliments, and what can I say? Maintaining a building log on this site is fun and certainly a big motivator to keep on building. I learned a lot ever since becoming a member in 2012, and many of us will likely admit, frequently visiting the site and reading about other builders' experiences is doing a lot of good to your own skills. For me creating something 3D out of a small stack of 2D paper printed full with parts is just amazing. Indeed, what one can make out of such humble and everyday material!
Erik

My thoughts exactly Eric. You summarized the benefits most of us get here very nicely. It is motivating, and building with such simple materials is magical.

Impressive work with this P38H . . . you make it look seamless.

Mike
Old 12-22-2023, 11:38 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.57 GB
That's some sorcery there with the outlet duct wall's double-dip shape. Curious whether you had to moisten the paper at all or whether you did that dry, whew.
Old 12-22-2023, 12:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.27 GB
Really impressed with your ability on shaping some of the more difficult parts. Awaiting your solution to the landing gear bulkhead issue.
Google Adsense

Tags
1:33, halinski, lightning, lockheed, p-38h