PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Closed Thread

Old 12-17-2023, 05:30 AM

Total Downloaded: 136.69 MB
This would be better presented in its proper historical context, which is how Nazi Germany used gliders to covertly train pilots and conduct aeronautical research, and how they reinforced their murderous totalitarian rule by indoctrinating the young of their country.

You must also surely be aware there are several countries in which any depiction of Nazi symbolism is strictly prohibited and carries legal consequences.

Reynolds, I don't think it's worth trying to educate this guy; as you say he has reproduced literal Nazi propaganda and if he can't see the moral issue with that he's not going to be open to consider his actions in any context. One of the 'nobody's gonna tell me nothing' types who act just how they damn well please and then throw a tantrum when they get kicked out.
Old 12-17-2023, 06:38 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.57 GB
Thanks Siwi especially for the context. To make explicit how distributing the propaganda today without context is dangerous: Someone not so well-informed or a child will run across this plan and think, "This design is smart and cool and fun. I'm gonna build it! Huh, what are those markings? Nazi symbols? I've heard bad things about Nazis, but maybe there are some good things about them." And there's another notch in the ratchet toward Nazi sympathizing and eventually support. Or someone who already has an affinity toward Nazism will see it and take it as tacit agreement and encouragement.

Another aspect is that the public display of Nazi propaganda or iconography without proper context (or prominently regardless of context) communicates an open threat to kill Jews, non-white people, etc. It's not "just speech," it's an endorsement of bigoted mass murder, intended or not. I think most Americans are socialized to understand that someone flying an R/C Me 262 among other planes is not endorsement of Nazism, while the non-nefarious reasons for someone having a good old time flying a Hitler Youth glider are pretty hard to come by. Moreover, one sees a thread here brazenly titled "WWII Hitler Youth Glider," and it's an instant reminder of a threat of mass murder that strikes fear into people's hearts, without any redeeming value.

Last edited by ReynoldsSlumber; 12-17-2023 at 07:02 AM.
Old 12-17-2023, 07:33 AM
ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 1.79 GB
I have closed this thread. I will respond to the concerned individuals privately.

Respect the Paper, RESPECT IT!
GET OFF MY LAWN!
Closed Thread

Tags
germany, glider, nazi, nsfk, wwii