PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 01-16-2024, 08:44 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.02 GB
Very nice representation of classic heli.
Old 01-16-2024, 07:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Thanks to all of you for your kind words and warm welcome. I have been building various kinds of models for many years but just recently got into paper models.

It has taken a lot of trial and error to successively make some of the parts like the rolled tubes that are the landing gear struts.The fuselage alone took three attempts, but it has been worth the effort. Looking forward to posting more builds.
Old 01-17-2024, 08:32 AM

Total Downloaded: 136.69 MB
Tiny tubes are dificult for many of us. There are some tricks like covering a wire in paper or using thick paper that is folded and then cut close to the fold, or carving out of mounting board. Many commercially printed kits simply instruct you to use wire and paint it in fact.
Old 01-17-2024, 12:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
I can't resist mentioning that my first helicopter flight was in a U.S. Air Force H-19 (Sikorsky S-55) during Civil Air Patrol summer camp at Langley Air Force Base in 1957, so this model had a sentimental connection to me.

Tubes are indeed a challenge. You clearly bring model building experience to paper modeling, and I am verh interested to see more of your work.

Don
Old 01-17-2024, 02:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 627.45 MB
Great build, it is always nice to see a Scissors & Planes build.

Brent
Google Adsense
Old 01-17-2024, 08:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
In the early to mid 60's H-19s, H-34s, CH-37s, Beavers, and Caribous would often fly into the local airport within view of our house. I remember seeing that large tail of the Caribou going down the runway from our dining room window. There was an Army airbase about 30 miles away, I suppose they were training or meeting recency requirements. I never got to fly in any of them but they are a strong sentimental connection to me as well.
I made the small tubes by wrapping then twisting (or should I say rolling) them around 1/32" piano wire and while twisting pull the wire out and continue twisting as tight as it will go and while holding applying glue along the length of the edge. The tab should be on the leading edge of the rotation direction. It has helped me to moisten then dry my hands to get a grip on the paper. This is the only way I've been able to get these small tubes to roll, they are only 1/8" wide without the partial wraps that are for detail (I omitted these). Also these were made with printer paper. And thanks for the tips for alternative ways to make tube-like parts. And thanks to all of you for your interest
in this model. It's good to be among others with a common interest. I have a wonderful wife, and daughter, and cat, but they just don't understand. Maybe the cat does.
Maybe a little. I think...

Last edited by Martin35; 01-17-2024 at 09:01 PM.