PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 02-17-2024, 08:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Beautiful work on those fairings.

Don
Old 02-18-2024, 12:00 AM

Total Downloaded: 865.44 MB
I agree with Don. And your newbie work is awesome! We are all newbies and learning all the time.

Keep plugging (or cutting) away!

Dan
Old 02-18-2024, 06:31 AM

Total Downloaded: 360.04 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithdr View Post
I agree with Don. And your newbie work is awesome! We are all newbies and learning all the time.

Keep plugging (or cutting) away!

Dan
Thanks! I'm a bit bogged down at the moment with the undercarriage. Trying to learn how to roll tight paper tubes - rolling paper around wire, thin wood skewers etc etc. All good clean fun .

I gave up with the parts in the kit and am now making them out of plain white paper with the intention of painting them once I'm happy with them.

In the meantime I've started on the WAK MS 406 C1 as a bit of light relief!

Regards
Gary
Old 02-23-2024, 04:57 AM

Total Downloaded: 720.98 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by gazweller View Post
Thanks! I'm a bit bogged down at the moment with the undercarriage. Trying to learn how to roll tight paper tubes - rolling paper around wire, thin wood skewers etc etc. All good clean fun .

I gave up with the parts in the kit and am now making them out of plain white paper with the intention of painting them once I'm happy with them.

In the meantime I've started on the WAK MS 406 C1 as a bit of light relief!

Regards
Gary
Hi Gary,
Doing a great job there may I say. We are our own greatest critic when it comes to these things. It's a learning curve.
The main thing (for me anyhow) is to just complete the model. Luckily I haven't started anything very complex, but I do tend to get bored and move on to new models long before finishing the current one.
So - at the last count - there are 7 uncompleted models lying around my boxroom!
That said, I'm gonna finish my Boeing 314 today or tomorrow hopefully.
Keep going, you're doing very well indeed, I look forward to following along here and see the completed article!
Regards,
Alan
Old 02-23-2024, 05:33 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
Very impressive start! I wish my newbie builds had the same quality as yours...

Erik
Google Adsense
Old 02-23-2024, 08:01 AM

Total Downloaded: 164.38 MB
Looking great. Keep up with the posts, I am looking forward to them.
Old 02-23-2024, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positive_Rate View Post
Hi Gary,
Doing a great job there may I say. We are our own greatest critic when it comes to these things. It's a learning curve.
The main thing (for me anyhow) is to just complete the model. Luckily I haven't started anything very complex, but I do tend to get bored and move on to new models long before finishing the current one.
So - at the last count - there are 7 uncompleted models lying around my boxroom!
That said, I'm gonna finish my Boeing 314 today or tomorrow hopefully.
Keep going, you're doing very well indeed, I look forward to following along here and see the completed article!
Regards,
Alan
Thanks for the encouragement!

I must admit that I'm having a bit of a motivation problem is getting the D560 finished. I keep looking at it and thinking that I could have done this and that better - you know how it is I think. Still I will try and get it done, even if I see it simply as practice for further models.

In the meantime here are a few photos of the MS406 C1. It's going together quite well and I've definitely learnt a lot building the other model. Most importantly I've learned to use far less glue and am now applying it with a sharp tipped tool rather than a brush. That way I seem to have more control over where it goes! What I'm actually using now to apply glue is a tool that is designed for removing wristbands on watches! It has a sharp point at one end and a small flat screwdriver type tool on the other - see photo. I've also moved away from using Swann-Morton scaples to Olfa blades which seem better to me.

Regards
Gary
Attached Thumbnails
Beginners attempt at WAK Dewoitine D560 1/33 scale-20240223_170847_dxo.jpg   Beginners attempt at WAK Dewoitine D560 1/33 scale-20240223_170912_dxo.jpg   Beginners attempt at WAK Dewoitine D560 1/33 scale-20240223_170939_dxo.jpg   Beginners attempt at WAK Dewoitine D560 1/33 scale-20240223_184806_dxo.jpg  
Old 02-23-2024, 11:56 AM

Thanks everyone! All the encouragement you guys are giving it most kind!
Old 02-23-2024, 12:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 164.38 MB
Gary,

We tend to be our own worst critiques. No one else may see our mistakes but we know they are there. I recently started using the Olfa blades as well, they definitely seem of a better quality, more durable and reasonable price compared to other brands.

Stephen
Old 02-23-2024, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spgifford View Post
Gary,

We tend to be our own worst critiques. No one else may see our mistakes but we know they are there. I recently started using the Olfa blades as well, they definitely seem of a better quality, more durable and reasonable price compared to other brands.

Stephen
I've been buying packs of 100 non-sterile Swann Morton blades and although these are very sharp in the beginning they seem to loose their edge quite quickly. OK for balsa modelling etc, but not so good for cutting card. The Olfa blades are more expensive but in my experience last longer. I also like the shape of the smaller graphic designer knife blades for intricate cutting tasks. I've also got some Fiska blades and these seem also pretty good.
Google Adsense