PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 05-22-2024, 03:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 679.43 MB
Cool Suchoi 22 M4 Fitter K Polish AF versions

It has been a long time since my last build. It was in January 2024 that I completed all of my Israeli AF Mirages and Kfirs ( Link to Mirages and ).

I had some major life events in the past two years and when things got settled, I was repairing, restoring radio controlled model airplanes and boats. In addition, I am in the process of writing my second book as well as presenting at out local History club.

I finally got the courage to build in paper after looking over my pre printed kits. I finally decided to build two identical models of the Suchoi Su-22. One in camouflage and the other in grey colors of the Polish Air Force.

Originally my friend from Poland got one version, but in the confusion got two with sets of laser cut frames and canopies. I said, do not return them and kept both.

The kit is from a company called Angraf and is in 1/33 scale. Both are large format print booklet ( bigger than A4 ). Details later

I will build the camo version first in a simplified form ( no separate control surfaces nor deployed flaps and airbrakes. The second one to follow will have all the details. I decided on that because I have not built a model in close to 5 months.

Here are the covers to both kits

Suchoi 22 M4 Fitter K Polish AF versions-img_9299.jpg

Suchoi 22 M4 Fitter K Polish AF versions-img_e9287.jpg

Isaac
Google Adsense
Old 05-22-2024, 05:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 322.93 MB
Second book? What was the first one? I'm a sucker for a good book.

I tried building first edition of Maly Su-22 from 1990 but size,weight and hands of a child put the end to it. I think that was one of the larger planes I ever build.

Good luck and I'm looking forward to your build
Old 05-22-2024, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butelczynski View Post
Second book? What was the first one? I'm a sucker for a good book.

I tried building first edition of Maly Su-22 from 1990 but size,weight and hands of a child put the end to it. I think that was one of the larger planes I ever build.

Good luck and I'm looking forward to your build
not a second book. A second booklet of the kit. Each kit comes in a booklet form that you remove the pages.

As far as the Maly model, it is garbage. Wrong nose section and it does not look the part. Don't build it. This kit is much better.

Isaac
Old 05-23-2024, 04:34 AM

Total Downloaded: 935.52 MB
Isaac,

I'm looking forward to another of your detailed build threads. I'm going through withdrawal.

It will be interesting to see how the fit is with the laser cut frames. It will definitely save your fingers.

Good luck, and hopefully the life events have ended on a positive note.

Gary

Design Group Alpha
https://ecardmodels.com/vendors/design-group-alpha
Old 05-24-2024, 02:44 PM

Actual planes

In my many travels, I did manage a visit to the Polish Air Force museum in Deblin back in 2018.

here are some pics of the Suchoi 22 ( a different scheme of color, but the same type.

Suchoi 22 M4 Fitter K Polish AF versions-img_3730.jpg

Suchoi 22 M4 Fitter K Polish AF versions-dsc_0671.jpg

Suchoi 22 M4 Fitter K Polish AF versions-dsc_0674.jpg

Suchoi 22 M4 Fitter K Polish AF versions-dsc_0677.jpg

Suchoi 22 M4 Fitter K Polish AF versions-dsc_0679.jpg
Isaac
Google Adsense
Old 05-24-2024, 08:46 PM

Cool A bit of a background

The Suchoi 22 as well as the Su-17 which were externally similar if not identical were a further development of the Su-20 which in turn was the further development of the 1950'd vintage Suchoi 7. The main aerodynamic difference is that the Su-20, 17 and 22 all had a variable swing outer wings similar to what the Mig-23/27 family did and also in the west, similar to the F-14, some Mirages, British Typhoon etc.... the craze was on to have an aircraft with highly swept wings for cruise and sprinting, but swing it forward for better takeoff and landing performance.

However, the entire line of Su-7 thru Su22 remained attack aircraft rather than an air to air combat fighter.

In the past, I have built a few Su-7's as well as a two seater Su-22

Suchoi 22 M4 Fitter K Polish AF versions-img_2049.jpg

Suchoi 22 M4 Fitter K Polish AF versions-img_1381.jpg

Suchoi 22 M4 Fitter K Polish AF versions-4.jpg

Isaac
Old 05-24-2024, 08:59 PM

A link to those other SU-7's
Suchoi-7BKL Polish AF. Hobby Model 1/33 scale

Suchoi Su-7 Egyptian Air Force Model-Kom kit in 1/33 scale

I don't have a link to the two seater SU-22 here.

Also, my opinion : Do not build the Maly Modelarz version of the Su-22. The nose section is wrong and makes the entire model look bad.

Isaac
Old 05-24-2024, 09:06 PM

Exclamation The model

This is a new design from Angraf. It is accurate and contains many details should you decide to build it. There are two repaints of the same parts. One in camouflage and the other in grey. Both are in Polish AF colors.

Here are a few pics of the parts
Suchoi 22 M4 Fitter K Polish AF versions-img_9320.jpgSuchoi 22 M4 Fitter K Polish AF versions-img_9321.jpg

Suchoi 22 M4 Fitter K Polish AF versions-img_9323.jpgSuchoi 22 M4 Fitter K Polish AF versions-img_9324.jpg

Suchoi 22 M4 Fitter K Polish AF versions-img_9325.jpgSuchoi 22 M4 Fitter K Polish AF versions-img_9326.jpg
Suchoi 22 M4 Fitter K Polish AF versions-img_9327.jpgSuchoi 22 M4 Fitter K Polish AF versions-img_9328.jpg

and available frames
Suchoi 22 M4 Fitter K Polish AF versions-img_9329.jpgSuchoi 22 M4 Fitter K Polish AF versions-img_9330.jpg

There are also canopies available ( that has been a saga and a half ) as well as resin wheels.

Isaac
Old 05-25-2024, 06:54 AM

Total Downloaded: 935.52 MB
Thank you for all of the information. Very interesting. The hyperlinks to your build threads are helpful.

My favourite would be the Suchoi-7BKL by Hobby Model. I've seen you build at one of the model shows. It is quite a large model and the details are amazing.

Which version of the Su-22 will you build 1st?

Gary

Design Group Alpha
https://ecardmodels.com/vendors/design-group-alpha
Old 05-25-2024, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacSongLi View Post
Thank you for all of the information. Very interesting. The hyperlinks to your build threads are helpful.

My favourite would be the Suchoi-7BKL by Hobby Model. I've seen you build at one of the model shows. It is quite a large model and the details are amazing.

Which version of the Su-22 will you build 1st?

Gary
Gary

yes, I built those two Su-7's in Canada. Both are great.

As to the Su-22 here, I am building the colored camo version first in its simplest form. Then later on, I will build the grey one with all of the details and separate control surfaces.

Isaac
Google Adsense

Tags
isaac, polish af, su-22, suchoi