Total Downloaded: 0
nice work peter and yes space is the thing you find running out all the time
Old 09-17-2009, 05:01 AM
Forum Helper

Total Downloaded: 168.03 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenlwest View Post
YES!

The Stratofortress is on my "to-design" list (perhaps 1/48?). Maybe the Desert Storm version.??

Years ago, I saw a B52 take off from Wright Patterson AFB. I couldn't believe the noise and smoke coming from this beast. I was told these were the modern (cleaner) engines! Anyway, one of the longest running aircraft in service - a majestic flyer, and impressive up close. The landing gear alone is an engineering marvel to behold.

If you have any trouble with saggie wings, I would reinforce them with a balsa stick or coathanger wire.

Ken-
Ken you are another guy whom likes to TEASE ! I am in love with this aircraft and i can only DREAM to see what you have witnessed The cart like you say is amaizing, and the fact that she can land into a side wind with the gear still in-line with the runway is brilliant !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texman View Post
If you think one Buff taking off made alot of noise and smoke, try going way back, to the days of SAC, and aircraft on alert.
While at Carswell AFB, I can remember many "elephant walks" with KC-135s taking off, followed by 15 - 20 Buffs,
doing MITO (minimum interval take off), the sky black from engine smoke and water, the number 5 aircraft onward,
swaying to and fro, not so gracefully, from the turbulence of the preceding giants. It was quite a spectacle.
Well Kens a TEASER and you my friend are even an bigger one... The closest i will ever come to a spectacular sight like this is on good old YOU TUBE, the site and sound of these beautiful aircraft "GOING FOR IT" make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up :D I have the B-52G on flight sim 2002, she YAWS quite alot on the sim, is this how she would really handle ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by willygoat View Post
Can't wait to see what you do with her Peter! Your build skill on this rather simple model should prove amazing. And man, you really did scale her down
Thanks friend. I usually go UP-SCALE but the room here is getting less by the model !!! ummm minute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagolden01 View Post
Looks good, Peter. The scale-down is significant.
Looking forward to more!
Yes a very significant DOWN-SCALE, but i found the colours are very rich doing it this way - perhaps a tad too colourful, but see how she finishes and may decrease the colour if i'm not happy with the finish.
Old 09-17-2009, 05:03 AM
Forum Helper

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctormax View Post
nice work peter and yes space is the thing you find running out all the time
Cheers friend. I need to be living in a bigger place to make this aircraft at a size i really want
Old 09-17-2009, 05:14 AM

Total Downloaded: 86.88 MB
Hey peter...
i have afew FG models but the thing is that they dont use any formers
in their models ...thats why i havent build one yet.
do you reinforce the parts in some way ? or you build it as is?
Old 09-17-2009, 05:26 AM

I was late getting to the theater Peter, but I'm in my seat now enjoying the show.

The scale downed Buff looks great! Can I ask how you shrunk it? Did you manipulate the PDF or image files somehow, or is it all done with printer settings?

Mike

Last edited by Bomarc; 09-17-2009 at 05:39 AM.
Google Adsense
Old 09-17-2009, 05:51 AM

Working on the FG BUFF silverbody in 1/288 myself.
Lep
Old 09-17-2009, 05:56 AM
Forum Helper

Quote:
Originally Posted by solo67 View Post
Hey peter...
i have afew FG models but the thing is that they dont use any formers
in their models ...thats why i havent build one yet.
do you reinforce the parts in some way ? or you build it as is?
After down-scaling there wasn't really any need for formers because the card pretty much helps to keep the shape that i bend and roll into it... i pack areas with tissue paper to give overall sturdier feel and this also prevents crushing on the longer areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomarc View Post
I was late getting to the theater Peter, but I'm in my seat now enjoying the show.

The scale downed Buff looks great! Can I ask how you shrunk it? Did you manipulate the PDF or image files somehow, or is it all done with printer settings?

Mike
Ayup Mike nice to have you here watching in your comfy seat No special shrinks done here my friend, just printed at 40% of the original size - you are good with figures mate... can you work out the scale she is now at for me please - i forget the formula to do this Thanks in advance
Old 09-17-2009, 06:18 AM

Total Downloaded: 76.03 MB
Hey Moshe- I built the Mother Ship version of the B-52 in full size and it builds up nicely without formers. Be sure to use heavy (#110 lb/220gsm) stock for the fuselage, and lighter (65#/100 something gsm) for the wings and engines. As long as you have the heavy paper on the fuselage, it holds up nice.

Old 09-17-2009, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter taft View Post
..... you are good with figures mate... can you work out the scale she is now at for me please - i forget the formula to do this Thanks in advance
Well then my friend, you need this:

Scale Calculator Programme

It's the original (accept no substitutes!), and what I use.....haven't crunched numbers in my noggin in ages...

Mike

Last edited by Bomarc; 09-17-2009 at 06:48 AM.
Old 09-17-2009, 08:01 AM

Total Downloaded: 45.66 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenlwest View Post

If you have any trouble with saggie wings, I would reinforce them with a balsa stick or coathanger wire.

Ken-
It all depends on how Peter is displaying the aircraft. If it is gear down on the ground, those wings do sag in a slight parabolic curve depending on how much fuel is in the wingtip tank.

If he hangs it from the ceiling, the wings will curve upwards if the aircraft is loaded with fuel. It was a rather unnerving sensation to watch those wings flap like a bird when we were refueling them. The effect was especially pronounced in choppy weather. I have a book that shows the wings being tested through their full range, 21 feet up and 12 feet down.