PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 01-04-2010, 11:05 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.70 MB
Shrike - before I cut this part I used the "cyjanopan-type" glue (I don't know how it's called in the word - super glue?) It's very fast glue especially for fingers When is dry the paper is hard and can carefully cut out this part.
Old 01-04-2010, 01:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Looks great to me, Mark! Just got back from a couple of days in DC to see the Terra Cotta Warriors and other events, and came back to find this. I will remember your hint on fuselage formers.

Master Yu. I do hope that you will fall prey to the temptation to build another airplane!

Don
Old 01-22-2010, 12:32 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Thank you all.
In no particular order:

Carl: I've made peace with butt-joints, although I have at least one bad one in here somewhere. In order to (try to) fix the odd twist I 'unstacked' the segments twice. Now there's one bad joint, but the rudder is at least vertical.

Maciej: cyjanopalce? (I hope that works - second language puns are risky) That would work, but I hate using cyano glues, as all I do is glue my fingers to things. I even sold my stock in the company.

Yu-san, Jim: Reverse Petal is the only way I can imagine this nose working. It's such a distictive feature of the P-6E (and O-39- Maciej? >hint<) One thing I have noticed is that they always seem to build bigger around the edges than they should. The same thing happened the only time I used it in one of my designs.

Glen: I'll hold you to that if anyone ever make a decent kit of a Roc or Skua

I'm finally starting to get through the builder's block, but I don't quite have my Model Mojo back yet.

The lower wings are open two-spar with ribs. Conventional method and easy to build. The joint on the wings for the reverse taper fit nicely and isn't quite as obvious in real life.
Fitting them to the fuselage required trimming about 0.5mm off one end to line up the centrelines without an overlap, but hey glued up nice and solid.
The upper wings are 'closed' two-spar with ribs - the other conventional method. The bottle cap is from Okocim Porter, probably the best I've ever had.

Hopefully the next update will be more timely
Attached Thumbnails
WAK Curtiss P-6E Hawk 1:33-img_4201.jpg   WAK Curtiss P-6E Hawk 1:33-img_4202.jpg   WAK Curtiss P-6E Hawk 1:33-img_4206.jpg   WAK Curtiss P-6E Hawk 1:33-img_4208.jpg   WAK Curtiss P-6E Hawk 1:33-img_4209.jpg  

Old 01-22-2010, 08:58 AM

Mark-san, when I see your previous post I overlooked there are no gluing tabs on all fuselage sections. Did you connect sections together not using gluing tab? If so, it's amazing that the fuselage has smooth seams.

By the way, Don-sama, in a couple of months I will build ship aeroplanes for Hiei. If it isn't so bad, I will take close up photo. If not good, I will take photo from faaaaarrrrr away.
Old 01-23-2010, 04:18 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.70 MB
It's funny - model and Okocim from Poland - builder and plane from US.
And for others - Shrike wrote "cyjanopalce" - "palce" means in polish "fingers" - very good pun Shrike! And the model too :D
Google Adsense
Old 01-24-2010, 03:25 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
This all looks like mighty fine work to me, Mark!

The P-6E is one of my all-time favorite airplanes. I sure wish I had finished that Cleveland P-6E I was building the 1950s.

And it sure would be nice to see an O-39 as well!

Don
Old 01-24-2010, 05:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 92.57 MB
Really looks nice Mark! How about a Curtis Kingbird?
Old 01-24-2010, 06:06 PM

You know watching you build this little beauty got me interested in trying a aircraft build after many, many years! Looking good as all your builds do.:DRick
Old 01-24-2010, 06:38 PM

Odd you should mention that Glen. I was moving bits of my library around and found an original Kingbird brochure.

I'll put it my neverending queue of future projects<G>
Old 03-29-2010, 12:03 AM

Well, after repainting and reflooring half the house, a short-notice trip visit from the father-in-law and the better part of a massive reorganization at work, I finally got in some building time.

First series shows the wheelpants. I have to say these are some of the nicest - painless - ones I've ever come across. I do believe however that the fairings between them and the gear legs are mismarked left to right. Something I didn't notice until it was too late to change, so thoe are a little awkward 9and not photographed in detail.

The tail surfaces are built up with a solid core, which is pretty foolproof (no matter how ingenious fools can be)

The bottom view shows the droppable external fuel tank, and the flare chute fairings. The flare tubes themselves are modeled in the kit, but prototypically would be flush, or nearly so. I compromised with a pair of thick card discs to represent them. Their fairings also help disguise a joint I'm not happy with.

Home stretch now. Struts, prop and exhaust pipes - and more exhaust pipes<G>
Attached Thumbnails
WAK Curtiss P-6E Hawk 1:33-img_4211.jpg   WAK Curtiss P-6E Hawk 1:33-img_4213.jpg   WAK Curtiss P-6E Hawk 1:33-img_4215.jpg   WAK Curtiss P-6E Hawk 1:33-img_4280.jpg   WAK Curtiss P-6E Hawk 1:33-img_4281.jpg  

WAK Curtiss P-6E Hawk 1:33-img_4285.jpg   WAK Curtiss P-6E Hawk 1:33-img_4291.jpg   WAK Curtiss P-6E Hawk 1:33-img_4297.jpg   WAK Curtiss P-6E Hawk 1:33-img_4292.jpg