PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 03-06-2010, 11:58 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
I know this project seems to have been moved to the back burner in favor of the Connie at the moment, but when "Chinook fever" returns, remember this pilot and the capabilities of the machine:

British helicopter pilot shot between the eyes but keeps flying to save 20 soldiers | News.com.au

Mike
Old 03-06-2010, 06:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 8.01 MB
wow, thats a really cool story! Thanks for sharing it!
Old 06-02-2010, 11:22 PM

I was kinda scanning through the website as a newbie and found the blackbird thread that Ken is working on. As I read through it I saw that he was working on a Chinook once upon a time. So I did a little back research and found this thread. I had to sign up immediately so I could post this. I myself am a former Hooker (that is a loving name for us mechanics and pilots) I worked and flew (as a crew chief) on these wonderful birds for over 11 years. (I just ended my service with the army in Dec '09) Ken, I know you have a full plate and as I am a newbie, it is my understanding that your a great designer. However, Please don't give up on my wonderful 'Hook yet. If there is anyway I can be of service to you, so you can eventually resurect her once again, let me know. I can be your go-to person when it comes to information on this aircraft. If I don't know it I can find it.
Old 06-02-2010, 11:28 PM

Sorry for the back to back posts, but just thinking about it has me so excited. I am the primarily familiar with the D and F models as those are the ones that I worked/crewed on. There are several different versions of her, but for the most part she has remained the same for decades. They did have an Armored Version of them called ACH-47 nicknamed 'Guns-A-Go-Go'. There were 4 of them, but unfortunatelly, 3 of them were lost and the last remaining one is in Redstone Arsenal, Al. And the winged version '347' was a one off test bed. It had an extended fuselage, retractable landing gear, 4 blade rotor heads (usually only 3 blades per head) a taller aft pylon, a retractable gondola. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find many interior shots of her, but I took a bunch of exterior ones when I went to see her at Fort Rucker, Al (Mother Rucker!) I could help you out on those ones, but I will always have a special place in my heart for the good 'ol regular girls. Let me know and I will be more than willing to help you out on your research. LET THE CHINOOK LIVE!
Old 06-04-2010, 01:19 AM

Total Downloaded: 436.97 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to SJPONeill
I'm surprised that a ACH-47 conversion set hasn't been released for the Trumpeter 1/35 Chinook A so would definitely be a starter for a Guns-A-Go-Go by Ken...the '347' would be even cooler (in my eyes anyway) but as a one-off testbed the extra effort might not be worth it...then again, they only built two XB-70s and each of the those was different from the other...
Google Adsense
Old 06-04-2010, 02:52 AM

Italeri has a 1:48 version. I have it in my closet, but I am to scared to start working on it (was not a cheap model) I want my airbrush skills to get better before I work on it. The 347 would take alot of extra custom work and I don't think it would be in as much demand as your average Hook or an ACH. But if someone took the effort and designed one, I would surely add it to my collection and it wouldn't be discouraged. But I would like to see the other versions lead the pack first.
Old 07-21-2010, 04:52 PM

Chinook fans/designers should get a copy of the current issue of "Military Aircraft Monthly" - photos galore of the RAF Chinook HC.2 both inside and out. Tons of excellent detailing material there.