PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 11-09-2007, 05:35 PM
Aviation Moderator

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to dansls1
Roland C.II 'Walfisch' Beta

Getter1 at cm.net started a design thread about this plane over a year ago here. He recently got 'inspired' to finish it to a beta stage, and I volunteered to help out.
He sent me the kit as 3 jpg's. I decided to print them at the largest scale that allowed me to get each sheet onto one 8.5 x 11 card sheet - which according to Getter1's calculations puts the scale I'm building at approximately 1/38th.
The construction is a wrapped former construction, with no joining strips or tabs included for attaching fuselage sections to each other. I will be adding joining strips of regular copy paper.
I'll post a pic of the cockpit area first:
Attached Thumbnails
Roland C.II 'Walfisch' Beta-rolland-c2-2.jpg  
Old 11-09-2007, 05:38 PM
Aviation Moderator

The first thing I noticed is that there isn't an easy way with the current design to color the inside of the cockpit. I decided to see what I could do to come up with a way. I first cut out the outside fuselage bit for the pilot area. I traced it onto another piece of cardstock and then set to trimming it to fit into the frame area.
As I got into it, I realized that I could also add an instrument panel, and I think this structure will let me get away with cutting the front former before assembly (I'm leary about cutting into model bits after assembly if I can avoid it). I traced the pieces onto a sheet of paper before gluing in case Getter1 wishes to try and incorporate the idea.
I'm also adding a picture of the outside fuselage piece for this section. For a final build this method allows you to sandwich a piece of clear plastic for the windows, which I won't do for this beta.
Attached Thumbnails
Roland C.II 'Walfisch' Beta-rolland-c2-3.jpg   Roland C.II 'Walfisch' Beta-rolland-c2-4.jpg  
Old 11-10-2007, 07:48 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
This is a very interesting and useful project, Dan. As usual, I expect to learn a lot from you as you work through the construction challenges. It's a really neat and rather unusual airplane.

Reading your thread brought back long-forgotten memories of the first time I ever heard of the Roland Wahlfish. It was in a Walter Musciano article in Air Trails and I can remember reading the article and pouring over the plans. I just did a Google search and darned if I wasn't able to identify the exact issue of Air Trails (September 1949): http://www.antiqbook.com/boox/cap/20527.shtml

I wonder if any Forum partipants happen to own that issue?

Thanks for the memory, Dan, and for your willingness to work the beta build and share your experience.

Don B.
Old 11-10-2007, 09:16 AM
Aviation Moderator

It is definitely an odd little plane. I hadn't heard of it until I read the thread looking for a beta builder. I did some searching online, and it appears that this is one of the first planes flown by the Red Baron (according to this site). There also seems to be a lot of potential for interesting color options.
Old 11-13-2007, 02:24 PM

Total Downloaded: 31.99 MB
Good to see a model of the Walfisch coming. I am suprised one of the big publishing houses has not done. As noted, many interesting schemes for this plane.