PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 03-01-2010, 04:06 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Neat. I'll enjoy watching you build this little airplane.
My blog: www.ww2fighters.blogspot.com
Old 03-01-2010, 10:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 614.80 MB
It seems that there were actually several configurations for the intake of the 707B, and Heighway's is closest to the shape seen at the 1950 Farnborough air show.
Here: Untitled Normal Page

However, my solution is the configuration a little later, with the air fences etc. I add one extra piece that forms the scoop and the fences. Also have added a stub spar to help keep the wings aligned.

There is a little cannister at the base of the tail (Drogue chute?). The exacto knife points to it on the three view drawing. The models provides two little boat shaped pieces, one for each side that do not form up to this shape at all. I make my own shapes, closing it with a cone at the rear..

The undercarriage is peculiar - not clear that Heighway ever saw one in the flesh - no strut, just a big bulky wall shape, and a huge black cut out on the bottom wing. Bet he was working from a photo with unclear detail, like this one: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/49/Avro_707_Farnborough_1951.jpg

I patch the black area to be more correct (after all the practice patching the lawn at Hampton Court Palace, this came naturally. and add toothpick struts.
Attached Thumbnails
Rara avis:  Micromodel Avro 707B-dscn0975.jpg   Rara avis:  Micromodel Avro 707B-dscn0976.jpg   Rara avis:  Micromodel Avro 707B-dscn0979.jpg   Rara avis:  Micromodel Avro 707B-dscn0978.jpg   Rara avis:  Micromodel Avro 707B-dscn0983.jpg  

Old 03-01-2010, 10:13 PM

Total Downloaded: 614.80 MB
And a couple of clipped pins for aerial and pitot tube, and it is done. I can see the family resemblance to the Vulcan. Finished wingspan is 9.4 cm vs original of 10.4 meters, meaning a scale of about 1:110.

Sure wish I had a better solution to the petal shaping problem. The other model in the packet is the Canberra bomber, which is made with just three petals at each end - that would require enormous "shaping".... Then the jet engines are built separately from the wing, and slide onto the wing into their places. Gads.

Well, as they say here in Atlanta, Fiddle dee dee, tomorrow is another day. Cheers,
Attached Thumbnails
Rara avis:  Micromodel Avro 707B-dscn0988.jpg   Rara avis:  Micromodel Avro 707B-dscn0986.jpg   Rara avis:  Micromodel Avro 707B-dscn0985.jpg  
Old 03-02-2010, 07:43 AM

Total Downloaded: 29.98 MB
Sweet little bird! Congratulations, and thank you for sharing.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:08 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.27 GB
Looks great!
Google Adsense
Old 03-02-2010, 08:56 AM

Total Downloaded: 164.37 MB
Micromodels

Visitors tothis thread may like to know that I offer reproductions for sale at very reasonable prices. I have made in-depth enquiries into the question of copyright, and have not been able to find anyone who can claim it. So until further notice I have repro's of all Micromodels. For more information visit my website, www.zesitbouwplaten.nl, and go to page Various / Micromodels.
regards,
Diderick A. den Bakker, Holland
Old 03-02-2010, 11:16 AM

Total Downloaded: 890.46 MB
Great looking little jet ! I have built a few Micromodels, and they are little jewels, but very tricky to assemble. My PBY Catalina is one of my favorite models. Micromodels are tiny and very difficult, but very rewarding, too. Your build is wonderful. -AndrewO, in San Jose, California