PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 03-02-2010, 10:14 AM

Total Downloaded: 8.01 MB
MM Aircraft Contest~Mirage F1C circa. 1987

Alright, so, it just came in the mail today! This will be my first MM kit, so I had a question before I cut into this gem. Does anyone know how well the paper for this old model folds/rolls? It looks to be really old, and If I'm going to have to build from scans I don't want to cut into it first. Pictures soon....

Last edited by cmdr199212; 03-02-2010 at 10:28 AM.
Google Adsense
Old 03-02-2010, 10:17 AM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
take a look at this album of mine,

Picasa Web Albums - Rick Steffers - Maly Modelarz...

the issue is from 1976, and the paper was probably harder and tougher than what you have now.
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 03-02-2010, 10:26 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 0
I think most people use scans I know I do for any non download models like the models from ecardmodels make a mistake on the real stuff and your snookered. don't have to scan the instructions so that saves time and save at a high dpi not the normal setting of 72 go for 300 dpi at least.
Old 03-02-2010, 10:29 AM

it is an older issue.... I'll give it a shot. I'm not sure what I'm going to do differently on this model, I might just build it right out of the box, we'll see
Old 03-02-2010, 10:36 AM

true, but I would like to build it, as I think if I build from the originals it makes me more careful.
Google Adsense
Old 03-02-2010, 11:21 AM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
Good luck with this one cmdr. I tried to build a few vintage Maly's - only 1 successfully. Now I scan them, clean up the registration problems with Photoshop, and print them on quality paper instead of that old brittle eastern European communist block blotter/construction paper. Beware of all your score lines fracturing when you fold them, and your rounded edges/tubes crinkling as you try to roll the paper against the grain. I agree that you may be more careful working from the originals, but the paper may conspire against your best efforts. A successful build will be a real feather in your cap though, and I'll be watching your progress with interest.
Old 03-02-2010, 11:27 AM

Total Downloaded: 14.54 MB
I don't try to build these original older paper ones any more, either. The paper is a real issue, but my biggest problem is the yellowing/browning of the color. It's extra effort to get an original kit together, but when you're done it just doesn't look as nice as a scan.
Good luck, I'm sure you'll do great either way!
Chris
Old 03-02-2010, 12:03 PM

I've only built 1 vintage MM kit; and the paper was exactly like what you are showing. Almost like a thick newspaper. But I actually liked the way it rolled, and its fibrous consistency allowed it to hold its shape better after rolling. And tacky glue sticks the parts together quite well. The only complaint I had with the model was the bad registration between colors. The fit was actually pretty good. Old MM's are fun builds.

Ken
Old 03-02-2010, 03:33 PM

Whether or not you build from the original, it's always a good idea to make a scan for spare parts. I will be watching this build with great interest!
Old 03-02-2010, 06:11 PM

The old paper makes for a more interesting build. It will delaminate when you roll it, it will crinkle if you bend it across the grain. Accept these things and you will go far.

I've built a number of the old MM kits and I actually enjoy them. They become a little bit of a challenge to work within their limitations, but very rewarding if you get it right Much like muzzleloaders, old cars and women actually<G>