PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 08-03-2007, 03:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Sorry folks but this one has been put on hold indefinitely due to continued problems trying to use the laser-cut parts (see a discussion earlier in this thread). I intend to order another one and continue sometime in the future but I will only use the laser-cut parts that are for unseen, unclolored areas of the model. I cannot really fault either Orlik nor Draf (the laser-cut parts people) but rather my failure not to think some assemblies through before gluing things up. For those of you who have both the kit and the laser-cut parts all I can say is dry fit, dry fit, dry fit and predetermine what the results of trimming the Orlik parts to fit the laser parts will be. The Orlik kit is outstanding in detail, print quality and color matching. The Draf laser-cut parts are also of excellent quality but there is enough size difference (especially in the larger components) to make a difference. I do not know if this is caused by manufacturing, material properties or environmental conditions. Sorry to have gotten everyone excited about this project and then leave it incomplete but I cannot salvage this one and do not want to leap right into the replacement right now...
Old 08-05-2007, 08:19 AM

Total Downloaded: 25.92 MB
Ron, I am very sorry the project turned out like that.
It was a really good looking progress you had there, regardless the gorilla finger, the edge color, the laser cut parts, and the fit.

Good luck, and in the meantime, why don't you start a new one?
Old 08-05-2007, 12:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Actually I am feeling a little less "down" than when I wrote that post. I have ordered another copy and will use it to replace the rear fuselage parts that I screwed up. I will do the laminating using 1mm card instead of the laser parts this time (at least for the rear fuselage) and will be selective about which laser-cut parts I use for the rest of the project. I am going to take a little "rest" from this one though - perhaps for a couple weeks to make sure I get a positive attitude back!
Old 08-05-2007, 02:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 18.27 MB
This is great news Ron Rest well, we'll be here waiting
Old 08-15-2007, 12:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.18 MB
Too bad about the setback Ron. This has happened to me more than once **cough** Orlik Kingfisher **cough** even without the laser cut frames. My experience with the Orlik kits that I have built is that you need to many, many fittings in order to make certain that things will come out all right in the end. I have this model sitting in my pile awaiting attention someday and I would like to see you wind up with a happy story to encourage me to get to it.

Carl
Google Adsense