PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 04-18-2010, 06:52 PM

Total Downloaded: 614.80 MB
Micromodel Autogyro C30

This is one of the three models in the helicopter packet AV IV. (The other two are the Bristol 173. and the Sikorsky /Westland S51.) Not clear to me why this was chosen as a subject. The other two were in the news in 1950-51, but the Autogyro was a prewar design - a number were surplussed from the RAF after WW2, and were reported in the aeronews of the time, but the choice still seems a little odd.

The model is difficult for two reasons. First, the complex shape of the fuselage is formed from a single piece of paper, at the usual small scale. I am using Red River silver paper, printed on the silver side, as this paper takes curves well, but it is still a challenge and the results are lumpy. Second, the motor - a 7 cylinder radial engine, formed from two pieces, front and back, with each cylinder thus being formed by a curved front and a curved back. This takes several tries, and I finally use regular Wausau 65 weight, and punch out little cylinder caps to cap them off.

The final model has several quirks that could be used to identify the pictures that the designer worked from: A specific aircraft is modeled, the geometry of the main landing gear is off, as it is angled too far forward, and the rudder is much narrower than it should be.
Cheers,
Attached Thumbnails
Micromodel Autogyro C30-dscn1133.jpg   Micromodel Autogyro C30-dscn1132.jpg   Micromodel Autogyro C30-dscn1258.jpg   Micromodel Autogyro C30-dscn1259.jpg   Micromodel Autogyro C30-dscn1261.jpg  

Micromodel Autogyro C30-dscn1266.jpg   Micromodel Autogyro C30-dscn1267.jpg  
Old 04-18-2010, 07:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 243.49 MB
That is amazing!
It always amazes me how folks can work at such a small scale and make it look better than a large scale model.
Sir, I tip my hat to you!
Old 04-18-2010, 08:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Another sterling masterpiece, Rob.

Don
Old 04-18-2010, 09:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Whoa, that's teeeny. I'll second Paperwarrior: how do you guys do it?
Old 04-19-2010, 08:33 AM

Total Downloaded: 499.03 MB
Great model, Rob!

Wyvern
Google Adsense
Old 04-19-2010, 08:50 AM

Total Downloaded: 179.03 MB
Great looking model. Is there an autogyro model of the autogyro that they used in the Rocketeer movie? Or one that could be retextured to look like it?

Thanks
Clif
Old 04-19-2010, 09:11 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Great model
Old 04-19-2010, 01:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.24 GB
Dear Rob:
Is the Prop in front carved from wood or made from paper?
eather way impressive
Miles Linnabery
Old 04-19-2010, 04:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 474.31 MB
Brilliantly done, Rob! Literally!:D

Seriously, quite a wonderful display of your substantial skills in working at such a small scale, but we've come to expect that of your builds. I love the way you used the metallic paper for the model, it really makes for quite a striking presentation. I don't see any signs of difficulty in working with the Red River paper, quite frankly, and the final product is quite spectacular! Having never worked with this paper before, did you have any problems in adhesion of the parts with glue?

Very wonderfully formed cylinders, notwithstanding the unique method of construction. I can't get over how straight the overhead blades came out, very, very nice!

As to his packaging this subject with the other two, maybe he just wanted to add one more to the helicopter theme of the packet and thought this one, of a very early design, would be a nice contrast to the other two. Whatever his reason, I'm very glad he did and especially glad you took on the project! A pure pleasure to behold!

Thanks for sharing photos of this build, they are quite wonderful!

Cheers!
Jim
Old 04-19-2010, 07:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 614.80 MB
Thank you all for your kind words, and encouragement. These things are small that they are more impressive in photos than in real life.

Re: RR silver paper. I have not had a problem with adhesion, using Aleene's Quick Dry Tacky glue (a PVA type), but do need to hold the pieces together by pinching or clamping for a little while. The big glue problem is stray dabs on the work board or fingers which will find their way unerringly onto the paper and then stick so hard that the surface is marred by my attempts to remove them

Re: Non paper bits. Many Micromodels call for a number of parts to be made from whittled wooden matches, and that is what this propeller is. I'm thinking maybe I should stain it. There is also call for brush bristles, that I am thinking might have been from shaving brushes - but my shaving brush gave out long ago. I did find a cheap little hair brush at the drug store with bristles that take paint well, so that is what I use - in this case the middle landing gear struts, the struts for the horizontal tail, and the tail wheel are all made with that.

thanks again all