PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 06-30-2010, 11:02 AM
POTW Editor

Total Downloaded: 76.82 MB
Bit blurry because of the low shutterspeed, but I made the vents black with a marker, looks better IMHO
Attached Thumbnails
1:32  SR-71 Blackbird  -  Design & Build-dsc_0002.jpg  
Old 06-30-2010, 01:51 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Billy,

I just bought a new Epson 610. I love it! But when I print out the parts on this printer, my black turns out as dark as your black marker. I think the color you have is the PERFECT shade I am looking for - looks very realistic.

I am afraid that if I lighten up the panels, they might be too light for your printer.

Ken
Old 06-30-2010, 01:53 PM

Let's try this.... I will create a color chart with about 5 different shades of gray (including pure black). I can post it in the download section and ask people to print it out and tell us the prefered color (a vote). Perhaps people could take a picture and post it for discussion purposes...

Any thoughts??

Ken
Old 06-30-2010, 02:36 PM

Total Downloaded: 313.47 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to murphyaa Send a message via Skype™ to murphyaa
I like that idea. Somebody close to an SR-71 could even hold the chart up to it and tell you the one that matches the closest.
Old 06-30-2010, 02:41 PM

Total Downloaded: 436.97 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to SJPONeill
I agree with Lancer...go with a dark grey or maybe a blue-black for the overall aircraft and solid black for vents etc...I'd most likely look at printing this ona laser than an inkjet as I'm not confident that an inkjet will give the saturated dark colours needed for a Blackbird...
Google Adsense
Old 06-30-2010, 04:31 PM
POTW Editor

Total Downloaded: 76.82 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenlwest View Post
Billy,

I just bought a new Epson 610. I love it! But when I print out the parts on this printer, my black turns out as dark as your black marker. I think the color you have is the PERFECT shade I am looking for - looks very realistic.

I am afraid that if I lighten up the panels, they might be too light for your printer.

Ken
Hmmm,
I just made a testprint on my old HP printer, and that one came out much darker then the one's from my Canon printer, so it was just an coincidence that it turned out that way, and compared with the digital X15 the Blackbird looks much more brownish..
Old 06-30-2010, 04:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 29.49 MB
I'm not sure there is a single good answer to what color the X-15 is. I spent about a week in the Dayton area not too long ago and most of that was at the Museum of the USAF. I sat and stared at the X-15, took dozens of pictures and came away with the impression that it is some combination of every color of black that you could imagine.

Some areas were almost worn through the black finish and had a distinct silvery metallic appearance. Other areas were clearly a reddish black to a blueish black coloration. There were a couple of panels that were a flat neutral black. There were even a couple of areas that it appeared a greenish-yellow.

I'm guessing that the only time it ever looked a dead black was right after it had been re-coated prior to a next flight.

I would think that any reasonable color scheme you choose is going to be correct for some period in it's lifetime.

I know this doesn't constitute a vote for a particular color but it might help to remind that there is not always one correct answer.

I'll be interested to see what the "popular" vote ends up being.

I just realized I posted this to the wrong thread, but, the SR-71 and the X-15 are both 'Blackbirds' of sorts and I think the same argument applies. How's that for an attempt at a save;-)

Swampfox
Old 06-30-2010, 05:03 PM

Nice save Swampfox - but you are correct - the color/shade issue applied to both birds.

In the few years I have been working this paper modeling gig, I've learned that just about every printer "interprets" the colors differently. Even CorelDraw has a function that helps attempt to match the screen color to the printer color. You would think that black would be the easiest to decide, but as we are discussing, this is not the case. I will post a color-test pattern sheet later on tonight...

Ken
Old 06-30-2010, 05:28 PM

Ken:

Great idea with the printable color card. Be sure to set up a poll so that people can vote!!

May I recommend that you try to get ahold of a Pantone Color fan book at a local printer? Once you find out the ones you'll need, let me know and I can send you the RGB color conversions for those Pantone codes. All I'll need is the 3 or 4 digit code for UNcoated stock.
Old 06-30-2010, 05:44 PM

OK, the color test card has been loaded up in the DOWNLOAD section under "Self-Help Library". Once an administrator approves it, please download it and provide your opinion.

Please be sure to print the card and evaluate the actual sheet - it will be different than what you see on the screen.

Lancer, a poll is a great idea... unfortunately, I don't know how to set one up. If someone wants to do it, or explain it to me in lame man's terms, I can try it...\

Thanks,

Ken
Google Adsense