PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 05-11-2010, 10:08 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Oh, and I forgot to mention: since Billy sent the SR-71 link this morning, I really do want to design a starter cart for the Blackbird! I think maybe the Air Force Museum has one.... if not, I'll be asking for some help gathering good pictures.

The intriquing aspect of the started carts is this: They used Buick and Chevy Big Block engines to power them! I want to design the cart so that you can lift up the access doors on the side and see the powerplant!!!

Ken
Old 05-11-2010, 10:48 AM

Total Downloaded: 697.0 KB
I just ran across this thread. Looks exciting.

Garland
Old 05-11-2010, 03:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 313.47 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to murphyaa Send a message via Skype™ to murphyaa
Specifically, they used 2 Buick Wildcat engines (according to Dad) with anything and everything removed that had any possibility of taking any horsepower away (You could hear one running from anywhere on Beale AFB)

Pima has their start cart out in the open with nothing separating it from the public. Next time I get down there, I'll see if I can talk somebody into opening it up and let me see what's inside.

oh, and here's a link I found with some pretty good info on the start cart:
AG330 SR-71 Start Cart

Also, I found a pic of Pima's Blackbird with the startcart for scale reference:

And the XF-107 also if anybody's interested.

And if we wanna talk about interesting effects of heat at high speed: Last year at a symposium on the Blackbird at Pima, one of the pilots mentioned that at full speed, the Blackbird airframe actually bowed upwards about 7 inches due to the metal expansion.

So if anybody building the model happens to notice that effect (I'll probably get it) due to their skill level, just leave the gear up and claim it's at mach 3.

Last edited by murphyaa; 05-11-2010 at 04:28 PM.
Old 05-11-2010, 04:17 PM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
That start cart sounds pretty cool!

@rick and robert - Maybe a time or two but the cops didnt like my use of m-80s heh heh
Old 05-11-2010, 04:54 PM

Murphyaa,

That would be great! I haven't been this excited in a long time! With the weather getting nice, I needed a mental boost to keep a high level of focus on modeling; and I think I just got it!

Thanks! Ken
Google Adsense
Old 05-11-2010, 05:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 313.47 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to murphyaa Send a message via Skype™ to murphyaa
I'm quite passionate about the Blackbird, being my absolute favorite airplane and all, not to mention the personal connections to it.

I don't know when I'll be able to get down there as of right now. Work's getting rather hectic, and it might not be until June, but I'll try for sooner.

If you want stories, I'm related to somebody who knows every Blackbird personally, having worked on them for 10 years, including the only white Blackbird ever (it's an inside joke).

For instance, he saw the one at Pima, and said the tail number is fake, because he remembers every one of them, and the tail number wasn't from that plane, and was out of sequence for the Blackbirds. I did some research, and found out it had originally been a NASA bird that was transferred back to the Air Force when they were reactivated in the 90's, and they just made up a number.

Last edited by murphyaa; 05-11-2010 at 05:12 PM.
Old 05-11-2010, 07:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 171.54 MB
Perhaps a little late to mention, but wanted to given the subject of the thread I just noticed that a show is on right now (8PM Central) on the Military Channel called "Skunkworks".
Old 05-11-2010, 07:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 76.03 MB
Another Blackbird fun fact sponsored by American Metalurgists. Each time the SR-71 flew over mach 3, the titanium alloy in the frame was re-tempured. Basically, the airframe would have lasted forever, only getting stronger each time it flew.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenlwest View Post
Regarding the corrugations for heat expansion.... I will probably study a few dozen pictures to determine the level of "noticeability". If these elements are significant, (in other words, would not look right without them), then I will probably find a way to represent them. If you recall, the X-15A-2 employed a similar pattern of undulating surfaces that looked like your mom's baking pan. I didn't even try to attempt to model these shapes; instead, I created (through trial and error) some graphics that fool the eye - using various shades of gray and black.

Ken
I should have known, Ken... Do forgive me for appearing to intimate that you hadn't thought about that, it certainly was not my intention to suggest such a thing. I was just thinking about how the beast would look, which got my evil little mind thinking about how you would design the thing, and then...

My wife is now, for the first time, excited about paper modeling, because the SR-71 is her favorite aircraft. We saw one at Huntsville, years ago, and she was totally enamoured of the thing. I know your model will be way beyond the level of someone who has never built a paper model, but she's actually hinted that it might be a project we could do together...

Thanks!
Old 05-12-2010, 04:07 AM

Lancer,

You know we are making good progress when our wives start becoming interested in our projects. I think you should let her build it, and send us the pictures. Fantastic!

Ken
Google Adsense