E - Gray #4 1 1.54%
F - Gray #5 1 1.54%
G - Gray #6 0 0%
H - Gray #7 0 0%
I - Gray #8 3 4.62%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-01-2010, 08:30 AM

Total Downloaded: 76.03 MB
hehe, the monitor difference is very apparent here at work. I have an LG at home, and that made B look way too light. Here, I'm on an Acer, and B looks nearly perfect. I'll see if I can meet with our curator here and get the color code for the SR-71. Wish me luck!
Old 07-01-2010, 01:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
From what I can see, D with a fair amount of lateral wispy streaking (using H) is the best match.

Terry
Old 07-01-2010, 02:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 29.49 MB
With an Epson Photo Stylus 1400.

I vote for B.

Thanks for asking,
Swampfox
Old 07-01-2010, 05:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.09 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer525 View Post
Gentlemen: I might point out that I did mention somewhere (in the other thread, I think) that ALL monitors and printers vary in their output. Therefore, you should PRINT out the card, and make your selection from that printed copy.
That's because the monitor isn't calibrated and the printer isn't' profiled. If you have the correct hardware you can adjust the color and match the monitor and printer, for example:

Datacolor - Global Leader in Color Management Solutions

But that's is an expensive option for our hobby, in this case If everyone chooses according to the color on your printer you'll get a color that looks right for the majority. It good enough I think.
Old 07-02-2010, 09:26 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
To all,

First, thank you to all who took the time to participate in this survey. Also, thanks to Lancer525 for posting the poll.

Based on the results of the poll so far, it appears that "C" is the prefered shade of gray. So I quickly modified one page and sent it to Billy for his opinion. He told me that "C" looks better (using photoshop).

The poll also serves to prove that there is no perfect choice as there are so many variables:

Type of Paper
Brand of Printer/Ink
Software

So, the best we can hope for is to choose a shade that works for the majority of builders. Everyone else should be able to modify their individual print settings to get the desired results. Not too bad.

We'll go with "C".

Ken
Google Adsense
Old 07-02-2010, 11:32 AM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
I mistakenly chose the wrong grey. After printing several models from white to total black, the best is a very dark grey in my opinion.

The real problem is how the PDF convert this grey. My present printer does grey by mixing ink colors thru RGB conversion from the PDF file. When printing grey it ends up actually as a hue of green/grey.

So, the darker the grey, the more it looks like grey/black instead of green/grey.

Sorry, to realize this fact after the voting, should have paid better attention to the actual post text and color examples!

Best regards,
Mike Bauer
Old 07-02-2010, 06:02 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 112.72 MB
Repeat from the SR-71 build (I'll take a look at the one at Eglin tomorrow).

Some interesting bits on various web sites re: SR-71 paint jobs. Apparently, the operational paint goes on a deep indigo-blue then "cures" inflight at high temp to a dull black (saved the cost of building a whopping big autoclave). Final color was a result of the paint's composition. Blackbirds on display are seldom in their original paint because you can't touch up the original and match the tone - so they repaint the whole thing with a black aviation or marine paint.
So say-eth the net anyway; might be fact ...
Yogi