PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 07-19-2010, 05:43 AM

Total Downloaded: 6.54 MB
If I may, Ron, there should be a bungee from the top of the tailskid to either side of the fuselage, about midway between the front and back legs of the v. A thin strip of card would suffice.

It's a fine-looking model so far.
Old 07-19-2010, 06:37 AM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
Such precision. This model is coming along beautifully.
Old 07-19-2010, 07:15 AM

Total Downloaded: 19.54 MB
Looks fantastic Ron. I always enjoy following your builds.

~Dougla
Old 07-19-2010, 08:24 AM

Total Downloaded: 54.96 MB
Eric's bungee note; like this:
Answer 1:33 Morane Saulnier L-skid-bungee.jpg
Old 07-19-2010, 04:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Hi guys Thanks once again for the encouragement. If it wasn't for that, the paper modeler's 'fist of death' would surely come down hard on this thing! My CA glue has given up the ghost and getting the tension to stay on the small bits of rigging causes the bonds to come undone. You two don't miss a bit do you? There were actually what looked like 2 bungees coming from the rear portion of the skid and attached on both sides of the fuselage edges. At any rate they're in place. As soon as I dig up my soldering iron I'll tighten them up a bit. Leif, what originally made me take a second glance at this aircraft *was* the almost 'deco' look to it. It's deceiving though as at first and second glance it's also a simple looking aircraft. Now that I'm up to my arse in it, it's anything but simple! I think I should apply some weathering as I go along as it's looking too clean I think....what do you guys think? Here are a couple pics of the completed skid assembly
(less weathering)

Talk soon!
Ron
Attached Thumbnails
Answer 1:33 Morane Saulnier L-msl21.jpg   Answer 1:33 Morane Saulnier L-msl22.jpg  
Old 07-19-2010, 04:55 PM

The bungie looks good to me as does the rest of the aircraft. I don't know what Leif meant by "art-deco". Possibly he is referring to the shape of the tail stabilizers combined with the size of the tail skid. His statement is not clear to me however, a quick search of the internet shows several variations of the skid and one with a tail wheel. I also found three different tail stabilizer configurations. Aside from all that, I think it would be a shame to weather up such a clean build.

Last edited by B-Manic; 07-19-2010 at 05:09 PM.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron0909 View Post
It's deceiving though as at first and second glance it's also a simple looking aircraft. Now that I'm up to my arse in it, it's anything but simple!
You said it, brother!

I've built several Morane-Saulniers over the years and can attest to that deceptive "simplicity" of design. For me, a few of the trickier bits from a design-and-scratchbuilding perspective are the forward deck, the articulation of the rudder and elevator and that pesky lower pylon with the holes in it for the warp control wires to pass through. These machines were sophisticated for their time. It's not suprising that they served for as long as they did or that the basic design only evolved through a series of subtle changes without ever abandoning the essential plan. One remarkable and telling fact: the MoS AR / MS.35 (developed from the Type LA, an improved Type L) was first built in 1915 but saw far more use after the war, throughout the 1920's and beyond as a military trainer and civil aircraft. This wasn't just thrifty utilization of war surplus equipment, either - these machines were new production!
Old 07-19-2010, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron0909 View Post
Here are a couple pics of the completed skid assembly
Please don't take this as nitpicking (although it probably is), but the bungee should be considerably thicker than the control and bracing wires. On the real thing, it would have been approximately the same diameter as the bungee cords we're all familiar with, somewhere around 3/8" to 1/2" or about 1/64" in 1/33 scale.

I'm really NOT trying to give you a hard time, Ron. You're doing a great job with the model and I'm enjoying watching it come together. Unfortunately for you, though, you picked a subject that I have an entirely unhealthy relationship with . . . . . :o
Old 07-19-2010, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Manic View Post
I don't know what Leif meant by "art-deco". Possibly he is referring to the shape of the tail stabilizers combined with the size of the tail skid. His statement is not clear to me however,
I think Leif is commenting on the style of Ron's models, the way he executes and finishes a kit. There is a simplicity and a cleanliness to his build, owing not least to his skill at edge-coloring and finishing seams. This is shaping up to be a fine representation of the subject without being or trying to be a reproduction. The detail is sufficient but doesn't clutter, the form is clear and immediately identifiable but the model makes an impression of its own, independent of the subject. I see in Ron's work an emphasis on the aesthetic of the model over devotion to "realism" which I both admire and aspire to, and I think that's the Art Deco vibe Leif is picking up on.
Old 07-19-2010, 08:31 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
I see in Ron's work an emphasis on the aesthetic of the model over devotion to "realism" which I both admire and aspire to
That makes two of us.
Google Adsense