PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 07-31-2010, 07:55 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 0
B-17G Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmags View Post
When you do make this available, where will it be, and do you have an idea of the cost? I'm planning a research and repaint project - my wife's mother's husband (or more simply, one of my soon-to-be-born son's 3 grandfathers) has a picture of his father from WWII where he was a waist gunner in a B-17. All I have is a copy of the photo and the names of the crew. I'm sure it will take some digging but I'd like to find out the markings of this plane and build him a model of it, and currently my options are an FG model, scanning one of many printed kits, or this upcoming model. I'm hoping this upcoming model will be the one.
cmags,
The reason I declined is due to the statements you made about
scanning a printed model and doing a repaint project. Your stated
purpose on doing this for personal reasons is something I can not
abide by. I do not think it is Kosher for someone to do that without
without express permission of the designer or publisher. Maybe I'm
old fashioned but that is part of the problems of having downloaded
files that are of a designers livery and it does not seem to suit your
personal needs. If a designer agrees to repaints or changes
so be it but not at the personal whim of anybody who decides his
personal wants override that of everybody else.......Ron
Old 07-31-2010, 08:22 AM
cModerator

Total Downloaded: 37.66 MB
Send a message via AIM to cMags
Hi Ron, I had fully intended to, as a courtesy, request your permission before beginning a repaint of the model once available for sale, but as a beta build I wouldn't repaint it, as that doesn't help with the original kit as far as graphics alignment goes. I also would have planned to purchase the kit rather than using the provided kit for the repaint project as this would not have been the intended purpose of the "free kit".

Also, I offered to do the beta build and you declined my offer a week prior to that post. (Beta build offer via PM on 7/14, post about repaint project on 7/19).

Not to get off subject, but I do want to clarify about your statement about repaints. As far as a printed kit goes, do you see a problem in building the model, then applying acrylic paint via brush, and in the process, painting it differently than what is already on the graphics? I feel that the lack of *need* to paint a paper model is convenient for those of us who aren't skilled in this area (and one of many reasons to build in paper), but I don't think that just because a designer added a particular livery means you are not allowed to paint your model whatever color you like. And, here may be the difference between us, but I don't see a difference in taking that one step further and doing the paint job prior to printing, so that the graphics are cleaner. I would never sell off the original kit nor make the repaint available other than back to the original designer.

Back on subject, this is exactly what Moshe is doing with his IAF B-17 which was originally the GBM kit. You didn't seem to oppose his build, so I didn't realize you would oppose mine. I apologize for any presumptions made, and if you do not wish for me to repaint your kit, when available, I will respect that even if I do not agree. But, my 1:72 beta-build offer still stands, as it would be fun for me, possibly help you out, and return to camaraderie on the forum.
Put on hold build (someday I'll finish): F-35A Lightning II 1:72
Previous builds: cMags' Card Model Builds
Old 07-31-2010, 08:37 AM
Eternal Member

cmags.
If you want to argue this point go to the thread on this Forum
that discusses these issues. I stand by my convictions as noted
in my previous comments. I will have no more comments on this
build thread about this......Ron

As far as doing a 1:72nd scale build it's not going to happen on
this thread........Ron
Old 07-31-2010, 08:59 AM
cModerator

That's fine Ron, it's entirely your choice. I made my apologies for assumptions, but I just wanted to be clear about the fact that you declined my offer to beta-build this kit (for fun and to help you out), 5 days before I had even mentioned a repaint project. Your reasons are your own and don't need explanation, but don't tell me that you responded to a comment of mine days before I made it.
Old 07-31-2010, 09:30 AM
Eternal Member

cmags,
My decision had already been made as to who the two
Beta builders would be. I did not need another builder
at that time nor did I need a 1:72nd scale builder which
the model is not gong to be released at. I made my
decision on your recent offer of doing it. I still do not
need anyone to build in any more scales than is now
being Beta tested. Now is it clear? If not we are going
to have to get Dave's Boat out of Dry Dock...Ron
Google Adsense
Old 07-31-2010, 12:52 PM
cModerator

Perfectly clear. Let's avoid Dave's Boat at all costs. We'll already have Boats building here, that should be plenty of Boat for anyone.
Old 07-31-2010, 05:13 PM
Eternal Member

Kevin, Billy & Boats,
May we now continue this build thread. Boats I sent you an
answer to your PM about where to start. Ron
Old 07-31-2010, 08:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 678.6 KB
Small update...
After a busy day at six flags yeaterday..I managed to finish up part #2. Even though this section did not need it, because it won't be seen, I decided to add the interior skin anyway. I figured that the extra layer of paper would add a bit more stiffness to that section plus the practice of gluing up it inside wouldn't hurt eather...Now I'm getting ready to start part #3. It's all cut out, I'm just putting a bit of extra thought into window material. Hopefully tomorrow I have that section done as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Side-by-Side B-17G Beta Build-pict0361.jpg   Side-by-Side B-17G Beta Build-pict0359.jpg  
Old 07-31-2010, 08:25 PM
Eternal Member

Kevin,

Does the vac-u-formed belly turret fit int the cavity
correctly? Ron
Old 07-31-2010, 09:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 627.66 MB
Fuselodge and skin assembly

Ahoy fellas
Before I get started I would like to thank Keven Billy and Ron for lettimg me join in on this thread. between us three dynimos we can do justice to this new kit. Also work out the bugs and produce a wonderfull product, As to the kit a very impressive design there is a whole intire interier in this kit that is assembled inside the skins no need for paint here. At 1/33 scale it will make a great companion next to my Halifax and Lancaster the dynamic three. After ingesting the kit I mently constructed it in my mind.

Unlike how Keven started his build I started from part 13 the bombadiers compartment and proceed to work aft cutting out thuis part and part 13A the interier skin filled the bill for the beginning of the interier. The next skin and former part 12 12A and former part B in this installation proved a very strong and rigid assembly with the interier and exterier skins combined. makeing certain the Green faces forward.I omitted former partC to make room for the Navigaters desk and chair and the decking, I installed all of the bombadiers parts I made a seat and installed same. the lever that opperated the bomb bay has been inslled and all of the dials also. tommorow I will make the norton bomb sight and install same.Former D and skin 11 and 11 A I prepared for installation after dry fitting it a couple good time the skin part 11 was a hair over size I trimmed it al little and dry fitted it satisfied glued the assembly next to part 12. so farv this was the only fit problem I ran into being a nre kit this is the purpose for BETA build. Everything else fits great. The last assembly for the night I constructed the pilots compartment parts 10 and 9 and former E. Part 10 is the cockpit deck. Before you you assemble same you have to cut out thetop of skin NO.9 then you slip this unit and cement it againt part former E and former D. this is far as I got for today I have attachments of this build to show how much I done for today7 hours logged on to this kit . I may add this kit is not for the novis like that of Fly models you have to have a few card modsels under your belt before you tackle this kit. so far it is a joy to build this will be the first B-17 I built in 45 years so I will take my time on this and do it justice. Here are the attachments
Attached Thumbnails
Side-by-Side B-17G Beta Build-pict0001.jpg   Side-by-Side B-17G Beta Build-pict0002.jpg   Side-by-Side B-17G Beta Build-pict0004.jpg   Side-by-Side B-17G Beta Build-pict0005.jpg   Side-by-Side B-17G Beta Build-pict0006.jpg  

Side-by-Side B-17G Beta Build-pict0007.jpg