PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 08-09-2010, 08:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to treadhead1952
Most excellent and very clean builds on your Missiles there Bomarc. I like the PVC pipe former idea you used.
Old 08-09-2010, 08:58 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 112.72 MB
Cable Run

I did a test build (65lb cover stock) mostly to check the "tabbed" assembly parts on the vertical tail and engine pylons - tabs are not very noticeable and make a much stronger connection. This one is headed to the Eglin Armament Museum I think, so no "testing to destruction" this time ...

The cable run on this one is per plans with a card shim (same 65lb stock at the model) between the tail and wing and no shim forward of the wing. The wing is stiffened with a single sheet of heavy card (Cheerios cereal box this time, I think). Using Titebond II, which tacks and sets very quickly, I installed the entire run in one glue up (after a half-day of dry fitting and staring, that is) and simply pressed the edges of the run down to meet the fuselage tube (using a 1/2 inch PVC pipe inside the model for a backer - I put in the internal disks to hold the shape afterward). The run followed the surface pretty well - you can see a slight hump where it crosses the wing reinforcement. I think the biggest difference is the thicker wing reinforcement you used - though it definitely gives you a stiffer wing.

Solution might be to include a cover piece to wrap the cable run. Provide a part that is wide enough to allow trimming over the wing while maintaining a tight fit to the tube. The existing part would then just serve as a core. Getting the edges of the cover piece glued down might still be a challenge. That's one of the major reasons I tried to design a flat-bottomed part for the model - more glue surface.

Bomarc Builds a Black BOMARC-bomarcb-05.jpg

Bomarc Builds a Black BOMARC-bomarcb-07.jpg

Thoughts?

Yogi

Last edited by Retired_for_now; 08-09-2010 at 09:11 PM.
Old 08-10-2010, 05:14 AM

Looks great Yogi, a lot cleaner build than mine. The laser printer didn't give me as nice a print for the gray version as it did in the black. When I do flight certified versions, I'm with going coated inkjet prints.

The problem with your original raceway is that the flat bottom needs a bit of curve to sit flush on the curved fuselage sections as it transitions off the flat wing, giving you the hump in the middle. The cover piece may be the ticket, but it does add some complexity. I'll give it some more thought....

Mike
Old 08-10-2010, 06:29 AM

Have someone make the Wilhelmshavener Bomarc with Launching Base?
Old 08-10-2010, 06:47 AM

I want to see one built up too! Rick thinks Pete Heesch built one. If he did, I'll see if I can entice him to bring it to IPMC this year. I'll take lots of pics if he does.

Mike
Old 08-10-2010, 06:56 AM
Eternal Member

Mike,
How would this model compare in size to the
Wilhelmshavener 1:50th scale....Ron
Old 08-10-2010, 07:09 AM

I believe Yogi's are in 1/40th scale Ron, so that would make them a bit bigger than the Wilhelmshavener kit.

Mike
Old 08-10-2010, 05:51 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 112.72 MB
Raceway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomarc View Post
The problem with your original raceway is that the flat bottom needs a bit of curve to sit flush on the curved fuselage sections as it transitions off the flat wing, giving you the hump in the middle. The cover piece may be the ticket, but it does add some complexity. I'll give it some more thought....
Mike
An outstanding analysis - that's the root of the problem. When I glued the raceway down I used the internal PVC tube as a backer and pressed the edges down tightly.

I wonder if building the piece as the current half-tube, then pressing in the center of the flat bottom (burnish with a coathanger wire sized, smooth rod) won't accomplish the same effect? That would preserve the "self-jigging" function of the current design while both reflexing the bottom out of the way and making the edges stand proud to contact the fuselage cylinder. It will still need some shimming between the wing and tail as well as in front if you build a very thick wing.

Ron - 1:40 scale required to fit the size of the 1/2 inch PVC stomp rocket launch tube. Builds to just under 14 inches (with variations depending on whether/which replaceable nosecone you use).

Yogi (wondering where the smell of burning brain cells is coming from ...)
Old 08-10-2010, 08:18 PM
Eternal Member

With these launcher-shelter drawings, I see some COOL potential for a 1:48 diorama.......:D

Jim
Old 08-15-2010, 02:25 PM

Guys,

My intention is not to criticize; it is, rather, to understand if I'm missing something.

On this black Bomarc, as well as on a lot of other paper models I've seen on this and other forums, the U.S. National Aircraft Insignia, otherwise known as the "Star and Bars" is definitely waaaaay out of proportion! The bars are too wide vertically. It seems like if you were to slice the roundel with the star in it in thirds horizontally the white/red/white bars would fit on either side of the middle third.

Rick Shivik
SSgt, USAF, Veteran 1976 to 1989
F-106s/F-4s/F-15s
Jet Engine Maintenance
Longtime modeler in Plastic
Recently started in Paper
Google Adsense