PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 01-22-2008, 04:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
This is a really beautiful and flawlessly-crafted model, Ron. Bravo!

Don
Old 01-22-2008, 04:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Well color me impressed!
This is really shaping up into a nice model. Thanks for all the details of the build and the large photos. It makes the thread that much more enjoyable.
Old 01-22-2008, 07:42 PM

Siemens got legs!! The left wing fairing was good news, bad news. Good news was that I got the wing edge of the fairing parallel to the wing rib on top. Bad news was that I got it a little too wet and it tore at the leading edge. The patch is barely visible and can be passed off as repaired battle damage (even though there is no documentation indicating that this particular aircraft actually saw combat.) Landing gear was pretty straightforward - Aileen's Silver to hold it in place then hit the joints with CA. Based on photographs, I think the wheels should have used the ring-disk-ring construction like the MM Fokker E.V. Marek uses only disks which results in no inset of the weheel covers. Maybe on the next one.

I discovered that this aircraft is a late D.III; the earlier D.IIIs had a full cowl, slightly greater wing span and different ailerons and rudder. That might be an intersting "kit bash" for some future date.

On to the machine guns (really!) next and then the upper wing. It's possible my January '08 completions will exceed all of 2007!
Old 02-07-2008, 12:41 PM

Wow! I didn't realize I hadn't posted any progress reports in a while. Here is a bad photo with the model in a mostly-rigged state but still missing the machine guns. Hopefully I can wrap this one up in the next couple days (if I just work on one model at a time...)

Old 02-07-2008, 09:42 PM

Love that plane! That's one colorful paint scheme! I could never imagine doing something like that in plastic. Really makes me appreciate paper models! Great job!
Google Adsense
Old 02-07-2008, 10:56 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 223.07 MB
Wow............... Wires................where a bear when you need one

Looks pretty dang good to me.............is that stretched copper?

john

My Drawings
Old 02-07-2008, 11:13 PM

It's some .010 brass I had left from my model railroad days. I'll have to paint it steel one of these days...

Nothing to do with wires, but the front of the cowling with the four openings I griped about earlier is actually not part of the cowling but rather the front engine mount. It is supposed to be inside the frontmost cowling ring so at least I got the location right - still not sure what caused the fit problem though.

Last edited by member_3; 02-07-2008 at 11:17 PM.
Old 02-08-2008, 05:46 AM

It looks great, Ron. I find brass model railroad wire to be exceptionally useful stuff -- just the right degree of bendability and it stretches well. I go through a lot of #76 (~0.5mm). Don
Old 02-24-2010, 03:39 PM

Well, I finally finished this one. Got the machine guns mounted - do NOT wait until the wings are on to do that! I gave the brass wire a coat of Testor's Model Master Steel enamel. There were some uncolored edges and the red looked kind of "washed out" so I tried an experiment and over-painted all the red with Tamiya Acrylic Matte Red. The single coat I gave it brightened the red and had the benefit of being translucent so I didn't need to redo the panel lines. I finished up with a light coat of Testor's Model Master gloss spray which should have sealed things and did intensify the colors a bit. I'm just glad to have finally finished SOMETHING and hopefully broken the hold of the builder's block and depression that has had me in the dumps.

Siemens-Schuckert Werke D.III - Marek - 1:33-ssw-d3-pic-1.jpg Siemens-Schuckert Werke D.III - Marek - 1:33-ssw-d3-pic-2.jpg Siemens-Schuckert Werke D.III - Marek - 1:33-ssw-d3-pic-3.jpg

Chris, if you have any use for them, go ahead and grab the photos. I still owe you a Fokker D.VI build and photos...maybe in the near future.
Old 02-24-2010, 04:12 PM

I'd have a hard time being depressed if I was able to produce a model that looked as good as that, Ron.

Please do get on with that Fokker D.VI!

Don
Google Adsense