PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 06-20-2011, 10:48 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
just stumbled onto this tread.... LOVE IT! Good luck with this one, let me know if you need any help building a shed in your back yard to store it when you are done.
Old 06-20-2011, 05:40 PM
Forum Helper

Total Downloaded: 168.03 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencermitchellmusic View Post
just stumbled onto this tread.... LOVE IT! Good luck with this one, let me know if you need any help building a shed in your back yard to store it when you are done.
Hey... there's a lot to stumble on here, the guys have and are still being very patient with me - through thick and thin, rain or shine, skin problem, camera problem - they never let me down. I WONT let any of you down either. Thanks for dropping in, stay on board.... this is still onwards and forwards with some special bits along the way. Shed....? YES PLEASE, when can you start Got the camera apart and think i will be able to fix it More up-date very soon guys.
Old 06-22-2011, 12:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 45.66 MB
Peter, I just found this thread and read the whole thing to see where you are at.

I have a suggestion that will help to improve the overall look of the finished model. This is a technique that I developed to ensure precise alignment of seams and obviate the need for joining strips which distort the outline of the finished model. My technique also eliminates the cupping and bulging of the paper. I have used this technique to good effect on a number of large and small models. Here's the link: CSS Hunley

The side benefit is that you have something solid against which you can glue the paper.

Regarding the wings: having refueled more B-52's in the air than I can count, I can tell you that the shape of the wings inflight is quite distinctive and dependent on how much fuel is carried.

If the tip tanks are full and the wing is fully fueled, the wing takes on the shape of a parabola with the last 30 feet of the wing flared rather sharply up! In turbulent skies, the wings flap, rather disturbingly, like those of a bird! Boeing designed the wings to flex 21 feet downward and 12 feet up! With your model, I would suggest a less pronounced flair or the model will wind up looking goofy (that's a technical term!).

I have the original GPM kit, too, and have studied it quite carefully. As it extends from the fuselage, the inflight wing look should be virtually perpendicular to the fuselage for about the first foot on the model. From there, a gentle curve upwards, possibly 2" max, should give the required look. It's one of those things you will want to mock up first to see if it "looks" right.

With this large of a model, I highly recommend that you substitute the center spar with modeling plywood cut to the proper shape. BTW, I am also including the center spar that extends from the fuselage. You will NEVER have to concern yourself with those wings sagging over time. If you fill the space with foam as my Hunley thread suggests, your wing and fuselage will outlive you!

If you decide to flex your wing upwards, remember that you will have to trim the upper wing panels and extend the lowers to fit the curve of the wing.

Finally, there is something wrong with the profile of the lower nose section on the model. I think that it is too sharply tapered. I never flew the B-52, but I have enough time in and around them starting in my childhood, to tell you that it "don't look right"

Oh, the B-52 is fun on the ground, too! If the tip tanks are empty, a person can lift the wing a couple of feet unaided. It's a hoot!
Old 06-22-2011, 05:44 PM
Forum Helper

Thanks for all that CD, very much appreciated and i will most certainly keep these things in mind along the way. I often view the photographs you sent to me - all of which are extremely useful. Thanks again CD.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:47 AM
Forum Helper

Ok... Sort of fixed the camera - at least now it actually takes FULL frame pictures and in colour... downside, can't get the HI-RES working. Managed to get three shots before it was back to half frames {The board has dry joints, i am using a pin sized tip to solder... very tricky, and VERY time consuming} I will work on it again.
The Nacelles, now complete. The extra measures taken here are:
Home made filler for smoothing out the front profile. I needed this to be light weight filler, this bird will be heavy enough without adding any extra weight. I save all my triangular cuts from joiners and soak them in warm water. When they start to pulp, i mix a small amount of pva {white} glue to the mix. I then mix all this to a fine paste like substance. The filler is applied with a small knife and shaped as i go along. When dry, this is a VERY light weight filler.
I colour matched the painting of these units with the rest of the model.
All nacelles have the improved turbines attached. The Pylons are all 100% straight, and should hang from there locations at the correct angle that is required. I had to be sure about this, any slight problem now, would be magnified greatly when finished. So, after all that, i hope the wait was worth it for you. I am happy with the project thus far. Onwards and forwards. My hands are ok apart for a small area which flared during this stage, but the gel has worked on that, and things are looking good. More updates asap guys.
Attached Thumbnails
The Stratofortress 1:33 Scale-p6280006.jpg   The Stratofortress 1:33 Scale-p6280008.jpg   The Stratofortress 1:33 Scale-p6280009.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 06-28-2011, 12:07 PM
Eternal Member

Location: Curently live in High Desert country, Redmond, Oregon to be specific.
Send a message via AIM to Ashrunner
Looking good, Pete 8v)
Old 06-28-2011, 06:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 627.66 MB
Thumbs up A hardy well done

Ahoy grandson Peter
Now your cooking you are doing a great job those engine nacelles look like a millian bucks they look sharp judgeing the color schedule of the nacelles looks like your buff is vietnam era back in my days. I cant waite to see this when its done just take it easy with your hands the hard part is over now you can cruise on the down hill slide to the big stuff. A hardy Well done Grandson.

Granddad Boats
Old 06-28-2011, 07:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 248.80 MB
Glad to hear your hand are better......BUFF looking fantastic!!.........Rich
Old 06-29-2011, 02:34 AM

Total Downloaded: 4.44 MB
Send a message via AIM to Cybermac Send a message via MSN to Cybermac
Hi Peter!
They look fantastic!
Old 06-29-2011, 09:15 AM

oh yeah oh thulsa doom. Greetings!