PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Current Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Barry Gilder Memorial Group Build

Old 11-26-2011, 05:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 233.25 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to Inky
Quote:
Originally Posted by legion View Post
Eep, tiny truck is tiny! But it does look good!
Thank you legion. Yes at 1/400 it is very small.

I use to drive one of these yard trucks at a distribution center, they are so fun to drive.
Old 11-26-2011, 06:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 474.31 MB
Really way cool, Shaun! A very nicely done ... the tractor and chassis is great, as is the container stradler carrier.

Olli designed a container stradler as well, a while back, which is what Legion might have been thinking of...it can be found here, in the middle of the page, as a "van carrier":

Others/ Military and Zivil - Olli's Papermodels

Between the straddler carrier, your shipside crane and the tractor/chassis shuttle, you'll have most of the makings of a container port, once the ship is built!

Excellent work which I'm sure Barry would have loved as accessories for his container ship!

Cheers!
Jim

Last edited by Jason; 11-27-2011 at 10:35 PM. Reason: Edited by request.
Old 11-28-2011, 04:02 AM

Just a little update.

Finally got back home and printed out the designs I did while at my son's. Have I ever mentioned I had small??? Well these are small and were tedious to build. Hats off to all you guys that build micro models. Here are some pics for you to look at.

The tug is the Houma, I just looked at pics and threw this together. A few things on it missing but it is pretty close.

More progress tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails
Barry's Maersk Sealand Express-dsc_0096.jpg   Barry's Maersk Sealand Express-dsc_0097.jpg   Barry's Maersk Sealand Express-dsc_0098.jpg  
Old 11-28-2011, 04:08 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.53 MB
That looks similar to those JCG ships I built. They all look nice, for a 1/400 scale!
Old 11-28-2011, 08:10 AM

Awesome work, Shaun!

Love the way the straddler carrier came out as well as the chassis and tractor, but that tug is wicked cool! Where did you find the tug?

Excellent work! I would love to see the straddler carrier and trucker available, do you think it could be made available as a download?

Cheers!
Jim
Google Adsense
Old 11-28-2011, 08:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 136.8 KB
Did you make the Tug? I like them all! not that i would be able to make them though.
Old 11-28-2011, 11:39 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
I just bought this one as well, mainly because it seemed to be the only merchant vessel Barry designed. I have a cunning plan at the back of my mind for a 1:250 harbour diorama based round the Paper Shipwright models and set around the 1950's.

Time lines aside I did think about scaling this one and Inky's Maher crane to 250, but I think they might be a bit big and domineering in the diorama, so it might well end up as two separate scenes!

Brian
Old 11-28-2011, 12:08 PM

Oh, yeah, Brian...even at 1/400 scale this container ship is rather large compared with the earlier merchant ships...would be a nice side by side comparison, though, wouldn't it? And this isn't what is normally considered a very large container ship either, such as the EMMA MAERSK, which is huge!

With Inky's accessories this model just begs for a diorama treatment, doesn't it? I envision a nice sized dock area with container fields, handling equipment and the ship alongside with container cranes working her cargo...doable but a smaller scale would be needed to make this one manageable size wise, at least for me.

Cheers!
Jim
Old 11-28-2011, 12:27 PM

Inky, just a question on the container cranes, and sorry if you addressed this earlier, but at 1/400 scale the paper size I get from the files you provided are around 9 x 12.44 inches...is this correct, or should we adjust the paper size somehow to ensure we get the correct scale (I mention this because this is larger than US sized paper, which is what I thought you were basing the model sheets on). The first sheet is this size, but the subsequent sheets seem to be a smaller size, around 6.8 x 9.335 inches...seems to suggest you used different sheet sizes for the different parts.

Just want to be sure I have it all at the same relative size when I print them out....

Thanks!

Cheers!
Jim
Old 11-28-2011, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimkrauzlis View Post
Where did you find the tug?

do you think it could be made available as a download?
Jim, the tug is my own little design. It isn't finished yet in the picture I still have a few fiddly bits to put on it.

As for making all these for down load.......... I guess I could. As usual give me a day or so to work out the kinks in the designs and I will post them into the downloads section.

Thank every body for the kind words.
Google Adsense