PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Current Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Barry Gilder Memorial Group Build

Old 11-28-2011, 12:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 233.25 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to Inky
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimkrauzlis View Post
Inky, just a question on the container cranes, and sorry if you addressed this earlier, but at 1/400 scale the paper size I get from the files you provided are around 9 x 12.44 inches...is this correct, or should we adjust the paper size somehow to ensure we get the correct scale (I mention this because this is larger than US sized paper, which is what I thought you were basing the model sheets on). The first sheet is this size, but the subsequent sheets seem to be a smaller size, around 6.8 x 9.335 inches...seems to suggest you used different sheet sizes for the different parts.

Just want to be sure I have it all at the same relative size when I print them out....

Thanks!

Cheers!
Jim
Don't get me to lying to you, I had the paper size set at standard letter but I do all my designs on MS paint and if you ever use MS Paint you know it tends to do what it wants. I am glad you noticed that and brought it to my attention because I never noticed it. I guess do what you have to, I am stupid when it comes to scaling and printing sizes. To get every thing to scale on paper I have been using one of the 40 foot containers as my guide and measuring every thing off of that, so every thing is of right scale amongst it self but as for printing I just print it all out using the, "NONE" scaling and have my settings for, "LETTER". It seems to be right on.
Old 11-28-2011, 01:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 474.31 MB
Thanks, Inky:

That makes a whole lot of sense...so what I have done is opened the files in MS Paint, then printed them out using a PDF file creator virtual printer software application, and they provide me with PDF file versions of the original templates, and lo and behold, each one is at 8.5 x 11 inches! So, they are uniform size now and I will now print them out at the desired scale reduction (aiming for 1/600 to fit my ship builds) and will let you know how it works out, but I am fairly confident this is the correct solution to avoid the problem I experienced the first time around.

Thanks again! Can't wait to build the crane!

Cheers!
Jim
Old 11-28-2011, 01:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
As one who hopes someday to develop enough skill to build a few of these cranes, I wonder if it would be a good idea to either post this information in the download section or to make the files available as pdfs with the information that the paper size should be set to 11.5x8 inches.

Please disregard if this is irrelevant or a bad idea. I know less about all this than you allege about yourself, Inky (but I certainly could never design the cranes, tug, yacht, and container shifters that you have done).

Incidentally, there seems to be a real flurry of models and discussion related to merchant shipping taking place in the Forum coincidental with my personal interest in pursuing such models and with the decision that the theme of the 2012 International Paper Modelers' Convention will be merchant ships and civilian watercraft. I sure wish that Barry was here to participate!

Don

Don
Old 11-28-2011, 01:46 PM

Don, I am sorry but I will not disregard this information, it is not irrelevant or a bad idea, it is actually the right idea. I will transfer these to PDF once I remember the program I use to use to do that with. I put a new hard drive in my main computer and forgot to write down that program so now I need to look it up again.

Thank you for your information and thoughts.
Old 11-28-2011, 01:59 PM

Hi, Don!

I can send the pdf files to Inky for his disposal to do as he sees fit...if he wants to put them in the download section, that's fine, but since these are his designs I would not presume to post them myself. I only did the pdf conversion on the Maher Terminal file, not the other versions he offers. The printable paper size is 8.5 x 11 inches in the pdf format, which when I printed them out appears to be right, using the size of the 40' container on the first sheet as a scale guide.

BTW, when I checked the scale of the 40' containers on the stack files for Barry's model they come out slightly larger than they should be, but only by a small bit. That is my fault as those are the files I created and provided to Barry, and I now recall when I first printed them out using his final files and compared them to the hatch covers they seemed to be slightly oversized. I would suggest anyone who is concerned about the scale of the containers being true should print out the container stack files at 97% size. This comes out to about 1 7/32 ", which is 1.21875 ", close to the 1/400 scale size of the 40' container, which is 1.2" Just a suggestion and for what it's worth....

Cheers!
Jim
Google Adsense
Old 11-28-2011, 02:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Jim - Sounds like Inky is working the issue. It will be a while before I try to tackle the cranes, so there is no rush (as far as I am concerned).

Many thanks for the information on the containers for Barry's model. I will add this to my store of info on Sealand Express and the project. I am still thinking about building boards and working on small craft, but eventually, it will be very useful.

Inky - I enjoyed hearing about your computer travails. Since I am involved in distance education, I am at a computer constantly, but am still essentially helpless when it comes to computer graphics and design. So I am really impressed with your scratch designed and built projects.

Don
Old 11-29-2011, 02:49 AM

I finished my "little" tug boat and am fixing to put it in the downloads section.

Pages are 8.5 x 11 and when printing set, "page scaling" to "none".
Attached Thumbnails
Barry's Maersk Sealand Express-dsc_0099.jpg   Barry's Maersk Sealand Express-dsc_0100.jpg   Barry's Maersk Sealand Express-dsc_0101.jpg   Barry's Maersk Sealand Express-dsc_0102.jpg   Barry's Maersk Sealand Express-dsc_0103.jpg  

Barry's Maersk Sealand Express-dsc_0104.jpg   Barry's Maersk Sealand Express-dsc_0105.jpg  
Old 11-29-2011, 04:38 AM

Total Downloaded: 517.40 MB
Inky, you're doing a great job with Barry's ship. I like the idea of extending it to a diorama. Because I'm building 1/250 scale I got an idea why not use Barry's containership and your dio extension as a backround for a 1/250 harbour and create a dimensional illusion in a shadow-box style. Hmm, thinking cap on...

Tappi
Old 11-29-2011, 07:14 AM

Total Downloaded: 40.66 MB
This is a so cool small tug boat !
Old 11-29-2011, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapcho View Post
Inky, you're doing a great job with Barry's ship. I like the idea of extending it to a diorama. Because I'm building 1/250 scale I got an idea why not use Barry's containership and your dio extension as a backround for a 1/250 harbour and create a dimensional illusion in a shadow-box style. Hmm, thinking cap on...

Tappi
Cool idea, Tappi! Although at 1/250 scale that is going to be a very large shadow box!

Great looking tug, Inky!! Superb job!

Cheers!
Jim
Google Adsense