PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Beta Builders needed!

Old 09-24-2008, 01:51 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Beta APC Builder needed

Just finishing off the instructions ... but I have a nice little 4-wheel APC that needs a beta build. There are some fiddly parts..and some optional bits on the suspension units... but it looks quite nice when it's done!

It's going to have a few variants built off it including a longer wheelbase halftrack and some weapon packs ...so if the base is sound, the rest can be turned out pretty quickly!
Google Adsense
Old 09-24-2008, 11:28 PM

Re: Beta APC Builder needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flarebaffled
Just finishing off the instructions ... but I have a nice little 4-wheel APC that needs a beta build. There are some fiddly parts..and some optional bits on the suspension units... but it looks quite nice when it's done!

It's going to have a few variants built off it including a longer wheelbase halftrack and some weapon packs ...so if the base is sound, the rest can be turned out pretty quickly!
May have the weekend to myself, also work is a tad bit slow, so anything that can keep me busy is welcome! (Also, I like fiddly parts and this would become my first vehicle build...)
Old 09-25-2008, 06:35 AM

Thanks ... Sent you an e-mail.
Old 09-25-2008, 07:16 AM

Got it, and printed it also...
I see you created the PDF from Pepakura with Bitmap instead of Vector lines

Vector might turn out more crisp picture :D
Old 09-25-2008, 01:54 PM

Had me some minutes to spare, the main structure complete now!

Fits like a charm, but maybe the textures could be a bit sharper?
For fitting the substructure in part 1a/1b, maybe add a "square" to use as where to put the other parts?

Will fiddle more with it tomorrow, have a day off, maybe I'll find the time to finish it
Google Adsense
Old 09-25-2008, 03:07 PM

I know what you mean about hte white square...but I am re-using some areas of hte texture..so that might not be entirely possible. Will try though.

Texture wise...not sure what you mean about the clarity. They look good to me on the test build I did. All the detail that should be there is there. How does it look when you zoom in on the PDF? Is it translating well from the PDF to print, or does the PDF look poor?

Most of this is easy enough to fix, but I might have a more serious problem if I have to re-map the model onto more textures to increase clarity. Also...there is a limit on the resolution that Pepakura supports.
Old 09-25-2008, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flarebaffled
I know what you mean about hte white square...but I am re-using some areas of hte texture..so that might not be entirely possible. Will try though.
Nah, white would be a bit too harsh at once, maybe some darker coloured (or black) marks at the intended place of the corners?

Quote:
Texture wise...not sure what you mean about the clarity. They look good to me on the test build I did. All the detail that should be there is there. How does it look when you zoom in on the PDF? Is it translating well from the PDF to print, or does the PDF look poor?
The PDF looks like there is a bit of a blur about the textures. It's clear, just not... really crisp :-\ I print in a Laser printer at work at high settings and that machine usually does a really great job for me 8)

You might try exporting with Vector settings instead of Bitmap, or the other way round from Pepakura Designer. That has worked for me once before!

Quote:
Most of this is easy enough to fix, but I might have a more serious problem if I have to re-map the model onto more textures to increase clarity. Also...there is a limit on the resolution that Pepakura supports.
I don't think a remap is in order, just adjusting the texture a bit might work out just fine too!

On a further note, the parts 3 & 4 could do with some tabs. I am not too good at edge glueing yet, so I made custom tabs for those parts...

Old 09-25-2008, 05:24 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.44 MB

Is it too late to ask? I'd like to beta this! I know I never finished the MonoWheel, but I did finish everything but the gun barrel.
Old 09-26-2008, 01:06 AM

Cheers Paperronin....that info really helps.

I will try and put some alignment details in on the texture...something subtle, but there to point out where the corners are. The side to side alignment is just 'get it in the middle'...but if you get the front too far back, the rear section won't fit..so that is a good idea.

Texture wise, I am turning the PDO directly into a PDF with PrimoPDF. I had a go at turning up the detail, but if I go much further, the file-size rockets. The vector/Bitmap thing doesn't come into it, as far as I can tell. Might have to live with that.

I have added some tabs to 3 and 4... I reckon it will help the parts locate in place as well as easing the glueing. I also added them to the upper hull and the rear deck pieces. If you found parts 3 and 4 tricky, then you would probably have found tabs on those helpful too!
Old 09-27-2008, 03:31 PM

Acursed fiddly bits >:( Suspension part is driving me nuts

Apart from those, build is progressing slow but steady. The upper hull structure could, once again, do with some tabs.

Wheels also not a problem so far.

Part 12 got cut up, I usually find it better to have cyclindrical parts in three... also, I removed half of the glue tabs there to make an easier fit.
Google Adsense