PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Beta Builders needed!

Old 10-18-2016, 01:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 37.97 MB
1/250 scale Zeppelin beta builder(s) wanted...

Hello all,

This is my first design effort. It's a 1/250 scale airship, the LZ-17 Sachsen. At this scale it's almost 25 inches long so it is fairly big. I don't think it's a difficult build, though. It was mostly a learning project for me but I hope it produced something that other modelers will enjoy.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9j...ew?usp=sharing

I'm an inexperienced builder so I'd really appreciate feed back as to what you liked, what you did not like and what would make the design more enjoyable. There's no rush. Though I am eager to incorporate feedback and wrap it up and go on to another design. I'd particularly like feedback on the fit of the parts. My biggest concern is that the internal formers don't allow enough play for the thickness of paper used for the envelope covering. My intention is to use 67# card when I get around to building it. Print area is 7x10 inches so I think it should work for US Letter or A4 size sheets.

Thanks,

--jeff

Last edited by Kugelfang; 10-18-2016 at 01:30 PM. Reason: added print size
Google Adsense
Old 10-18-2016, 01:52 PM

Total Downloaded: 652.45 MB
I don't have much time, so I guess I won't be able to help you in the test build.

But let me tell you that the artwork looks really wonderful, the subtle texture of the fabric is very nice.

The triangular internal support looks like a great idea to hold the structure. I'm sure it will make for a sturdy model.

The graphic instructions are wonderful, and seem easy to follow. I wish more designers would make instructions like those.

Just a couple of notes:

I notice that the size of the pages is 7X10 inches (about 17.7 X 25 cm).
I can guess that it is because you wish to avoid the problem of Letter vs A4 size? If that's the intention, an additional note on how to print correctly would be welcome to avoid confusion, as many people use "fit to page/actual size/etc" as their defaults, and that can alter your desired print size affecting the scale.

I like a lot when the designers put some sort of measure in the kit. In your case you put the half inch corner to know that is printed at the correct size. That's good. Please take into account that the imperial system is used but only a handful of countries. Sometimes those of us living under the metric system also thank a decimal guide

Why no copyright/credit notes? Since you designed this nice kit, you deserve to be acknowledged. Is both a way to protect your work, and for others to recognize your dedication.

I really wish to see this build. Looks like a very nice kit.

Regards

Old 10-18-2016, 07:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 969.48 MB
I would enjoy completing a Beta Build on this model I really love airships. If you don't mind it taking 3 or 4 weeks, I will be happy to sign on. The reason for the delay is another project (a diorama) that will be going on at the same time. Let me know if this time frame works for you.

John
Old 10-19-2016, 08:25 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.97 MB
Thank you, gentlemen.

@Ruben, Thank you for the kind words and all your suggestions will be incorporated in the final version. I remember back in the 1970s when President Carter tried to get the US to move to the metric system. It all made perfect sense then and even more sense now. I think there are only two countries on earth that still officially use Imperial. Since I've lived all my life in one of them I tend to forget there even is another system!

@John, a 3 or 4 week time frame is fine by me. I am so slow at printing and assembling that I'm sure you'll still beat me by a country mile!

--jeff
Old 10-19-2016, 03:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.06 GB
A quick google and Myanmar and Liberia came up as the other countries using the Imperial system besides the USA
Google Adsense
Old 10-19-2016, 04:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 625.64 MB
I am not an experienced builder but built Ralph Currells Graf Zeppelin and I think this is something I can build.

Charming model and a beautiful documentation. And not many models of the older Zeppelins which makes this kit unique in that way. I will try to have a build done by Christmas and advise of any issues I come across. Please post about any issues that are reported by other beta builders.
Old 10-19-2016, 09:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 59.73 MB
Those are the best instructions I've ever seen. It is a course in paper modeling. Good work.
Old 10-19-2016, 09:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 83.64 MB
Oh, if only I wasn't a never finish anything kind of guy .Love zeppelins
Old 10-19-2016, 11:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 857.34 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougH View Post
A quick google and Myanmar and Liberia came up as the other countries using the Imperial system besides the USA
did you miss the UK??
Old 10-20-2016, 12:32 AM

Total Downloaded: 16.12 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by herky View Post
did you miss the UK??
Not true - the UK's official measurement system is metric but there are special dispensations such as the road signs which still use miles. There was a recent article in our local Oz papers about what Brexit will mean for measurements - there are the Poms who want to go back to the Imperial system when England leaves the EU.

Regards,

Charlie
Google Adsense