PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Members Area > Bookshelf

Old 02-27-2009, 10:10 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to treadhead1952
A Question About Camouflage

Hi All,

I am looking for some more detailed information concerning the Royal Navys' adaptation of their destroyers' disruptive camouflage pattern used on the "O" Class and other ships early in the war. I have a HMS Onslow kit that I purchased through Mikes' Gremir Models website and it is a rather nice one. It is almost like a "twofer" in that it gives the modeler a choice of the original Dark Gray Hull/Light Gray upperworks or the camo pattern the ship carried in its' use during the Arctic Convoy routes.

I am looking about for a copy of Ravens' book on the Royal Navys' O-Z Class Destroyers hoping that it might contain some reference to this little item of interest. I have checked a few places on the web but so far have come up dry as to the institution of this pattern on the ship. If any of you have any relavant information I would like to hear about it.
Google Adsense
Old 02-27-2009, 11:03 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Jay --

I am not too tightly wrapped on RN camouflage, but there are some members of the Forum who are knowledgeable and I am sure they will weigh in.

You probably already know about the following sources, but just in case:

The Ship Camouflage Website (If I were you, I would try contacting these folks directly and ask them the question)

http://www.floatingdrydock.com/ (Mostly U.S. camouflage, but again, a direct query might bear fruit)

Naval

Since my fascination for ships is, in order: 1880s to 1945 USN, IJN, and Royal Navy (then Italian, French, Scandanavian, and Polish), and then KoWar-era ROK Navy, I look forward to anything you come up with.

Don
Old 02-27-2009, 11:05 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Here is a site with a little information about paint schemes of RN ships. "O" and "P" class destroyers have a small entry about halfway down the page.
3/9

Here is a site with some paint chips of the RN colors (or is that colours?)
RN Chips

Maybe those two sites will help a little.
Old 02-27-2009, 11:12 AM

Hi Don,

Already checked those and while some general information is provided, I could not find anything specific to the HMS Onslow. Alan Ravens' list of camouflage patterns states that the pattern first appeared in late 1941, but that isn't specific to the ship since it appears to be for the larger ship classes and trickled down to the destroyers.

That is a pretty interesting list of ship interests that you have there. I would have to say that mine is IJN, USN, RN, KGM then other navies, mostly all WWII designs. I am trying to broaden my horizons with a few earlier craft, but the research material on those ships is even more limited so my interest reflects that.
Old 02-27-2009, 11:19 AM

Hi Doug,

You snuck in there while I was pontificating to Dons' response. :D

There is an entry that is showing '43 as a the year of application for that type camouglage, but then it is not ship specific. It is interesting that there are so many references for camouflage patterns and that they are broken down as best as the authors can do for general disemination, almost as many as there were patterns.

And yes, since we are discussing the RN, I suppose you would have to throw that "U" in there. :D
Google Adsense