Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Members Area > Bookshelf

Old 04-01-2022, 04:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 4.62 GB
Ship plans

These links might help you find plans of ships:
Drawings and plans of historic ships
Category:Ship plans of the Royal Museums Greenwich - Wikimedia Commons
Our collections: Ship plans collection | Royal Museums Greenwich

Find and download the plans of any 19th c. or earlier ship you are interested in NOW because I am finding many of them are disappearing from the Internet.
================================================== ================================================== ===========
And a rant about how the internet and the search for information has changed:

I am peeved.

Several years ago, it was possible to search for many of the Royal Greenwich Museum small craft plans either with Google, or with the very user-unfriendly interface on the Greenwich Museum site.

I am looking for a ship plan I accessed several years ago.
It is now gone without a trace, there is no searchable trace of it on internet that I can find using any permutation of Google search terms, and I can no longer access the plans and model photos on Greenwich site, where I had previously seen them.
Not only have the plans vanished, I cannot even find a mention of the ship I am looking for.
A 19th century ship plan seems to have become a deeply buried state secret sometime within the last 3 to 4 years.

I have another interest in addition to paper models, which frequently requires finding out-of-copyright (pre 1923) books.
Several years ago, it was relatively easy to find them on the Internet Archive, the Google Books archive, or on academic collections of digitized books using Google search.
Over the last few years the Google search algorithm has been progressively changed, so that the search results are now heavily monetized.
A search for an out of print book now returns pages of URLs of reprints for sale by Google paid subscribers, or pages and pages of URLs of "book jackers", speculators who run up the price of a book if they see it is the subject of a Google Search, or who offer to sell that they do not hold in their inventory.
I have watched the price of a book I am searching for suddenly start skyrocketing, from a tens of dollars to hundreds or even thousands of dollars, while I am in the process of looking at on-line offers for it (Hint: if you see this happening, switch browsers and use a VPN; sometimes changing the VPN exit portal can get you a better price.).

Now when I make an on-line book purchase, I research the seller, and make the purchase from a "brick and mortar" store, or email the seller and ask to see a picture of the book next to a current magazine or newspaper front page.
Google Adsense
Old 04-01-2022, 04:35 PM

Update to the post above.
I found One sheet of the set of plans of the ship for which I was looking after clicking through the "WikiMedia Commons" site.

The resolution of the plan is much much better than I remember it being on the Greenwich Museum site several years ago (The file size is huge, small print is now legible, and some faint pencilings are visible).

However, searching these posted plans seems to be a brute force process.

Even having the catalogue number, I cannot search for it on the Museum site, which was possible a year years ago.
Things change, I guess we should be grateful for having experienced the Internet Golden Age, which preceded the current Internet Greate Dysmal Swampe.
Old 04-02-2022, 05:58 AM

Total Downloaded: 694.82 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wagenseil View Post
Update to the post above.
I found One sheet of the set of plans of the ship for which I was looking after clicking through the "WikiMedia Commons" site.

The resolution of the plan is much much better than I remember it being on the Greenwich Museum site several years ago (The file size is huge, small print is now legible, and some faint pencilings are visible).

However, searching these posted plans seems to be a brute force process.

Even having the catalogue number, I cannot search for it on the Museum site, which was possible a year years ago.
Things change, I guess we should be grateful for having experienced the Internet Golden Age, which preceded the current Internet Greate Dysmal Swampe.
Some Eastern Eggs are hidden in the Greenwich Museum's website, and they're being replaced with new ones every now and than....

Here's a "how to get a hi-res sample plan for HMS Fiji (1939)" from the Greenwich Museum.

1 - go to this page

2 - click on Plan for HMS 'Fiji' (1939) (or click here)

3 - right-click the sample image, choose "open image in new tab" (or click here)

4 - check the "url" in the adressbar of your browser. You'll see it ends with "J9379_1000x.jpg?v=1644230767"

5 - change the "1000x.jpg" part of the url into "5000x.jpg" and reload the page. now a larger version of the sample images will be shown. (or click here)

6 - right-click on the image and save as.......

This process works with more ships, so just brows the plans and perform some "trial and error" searching using this method, but.......

the jpg filename in the url needs to start with a capital letter, mostly this is a J or a M. In case the filename starts with a small j or m it means there's no larger version available

As said, these larger sample versions of plans are being offered by the museum itself, so no act of internet piracy.
The museum replaces the offered drawings every few months, so it's worth to visit this website every now and then, as there will be new drawings available
Old 04-02-2022, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foute Man View Post
Some Eastern Eggs are hidden in the Greenwich Museum's website, and they're being replaced with new ones every now and than....
Thank you for brilliant detective work.
I found that another way to access the plans and get the rest of the plans in a set is to search for the "object number" with Google or DuckDuckGo, and then play with the image number (keep adding or subtracting one from it, and changing the resolution specification) and more plan sheets might come up on your browser.