PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > Cami's Projects

Old 02-10-2012, 11:38 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.24 GB
Dear Cami:
Ivote for swoopie fenders, Rag top, long front end.
Grin,
MILES
Old 02-10-2012, 01:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Is that a window under those louvers? Or do these have the rear-view vision of a semi hauling a trailer?

I would have to think they didn't sell too many Scarabs...
Old 02-10-2012, 01:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.75 MB
It is funny how aerodynamic some cars were in the thirties compared to the seventies and eighties brick shaped automobiles (I am mostly referring to american cars).

Quote:
Cami, there is a way to achieve those smooth aerodynamic curves in paper, but it involves creating a master then casting the body in liquid paper.
I have seen something like that once, that is an interesting idea, but I want to design a model that each of you will be able to build. I think that I have to figure a more traditionnal approach of papercraft on this one. Still a good idea for a unique piece.

I am not sure it is getting more precise about the styling cues, but I thnik everyone agree for the late thirties and scale 1/24. That is a good starting point, we may end up with the ultimate car! After the already existing bunch of ultimate cars of course ha ha!

Cami
Old 02-10-2012, 01:56 PM

Quote:
I would have to think they didn't sell too many Scarabs...
Just a few were built. Stout was a small plane make I guess. From the interior it pretty much looks like a plane. Probably the first minivan ever made!

Cami
Old 02-10-2012, 02:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Without hijacking the thread, Stout was an aircraft designer (Stout Metal Airplane Co in Detroit) that designed the Ford Tri-Motor. This was his attempt to apply aircraft design to cars using a Ford V8 rear mounted. The general agreed figure is 6 were build over several years.
Google Adsense
Old 02-10-2012, 02:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 198.27 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by whulsey View Post
Been following this with great interest. Love somebody mentioned the Tatra, one I've been trying to develop the skills to do one. Here's a couple of photos of Tatra 77s and a Talbot Lago T150 teardrop coupe. Also don't forget the Stout Scarab.
Whulsey,

The WW II Victory Museum in Auburn, Indiana has a Tatra 87 camouflaged for use as a German Staff Car.

See: ????? ?????????? ????????

Old 02-10-2012, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whulsey View Post
Without hijacking the thread, Stout was an aircraft designer (Stout Metal Airplane Co in Detroit) that designed the Ford Tri-Motor. This was his attempt to apply aircraft design to cars using a Ford V8 rear mounted. The general agreed figure is 6 were build over several years.
You brought the Scarab in and, all of a sudden, it became obvious! Car designers of the days were not only looking at other cars, but at airplanes, even before the jet era! Images ran through my head from that moment on and we are fortunate enough to have a retired USAF Major on the team who can tell us which planes designers of the days would have look at... Curtiss P40? Hawker Hurricane? SuperMarine Spitfire? Or was it too soon for these planes in '37-'38? Mjr Davenport should be able to tell us.

The concept is taking form and I have a picture in my head and made a quick sketch of the rear section based on all the ideas submitted so far. Fender mounted spare, streamlined design, fender skirt, a small tailfin on the decklid that serves as a taillight, whitewalls... The Cord 812 chassis and dimensions/proportions (more or less) seem to be a good starting point. I will do a few sketchs for the front this week-end. I do not forget the rumble seat idea, I can figure two versions of a same car. Let me know what you think!

Cami
Attached Thumbnails
Vintage Style Car-vintage-project-sketch-1-colored-copie.jpg  
Old 02-10-2012, 08:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 290.48 MB
Cami, I like the drawing.

The aircraft you mention are all congruent to the '37-'39 period, with the Hurricane being earliest, then Spitfire, and P40 being the last of those 3, though only by a matter of a very few weeks. Hurricane was designed in late 1935, revised by mid '36, and flew circa the same time.
The P40 began as the P36, and initially was little more than a liquid cooled inline engined development of an air cooled radial engined airframe. By way of the abandoned YP37 supercharging of the inline engine was tested, and in part found wanting, though the USAAC (pre USAF) foresaw little employment for supercharging in any case, believing ( in error) that high altitude (25-30,000 ft plus) combat in a future war would be unlikely.
The Spitfire was more technically advanced than either the Hurricane or P40, but, despite the elegance of the airframe, had less stylistic influence in later years.

Many of the car designers would have been looking at such aircraft Napier Heston Racer, the Messerschmitt 209 I (in 1936, known as the "Me.109R"), the Bugatti M100.
Some would still have been heavily influenced by even more radically styled aircraft than those I have mentioned, such as the GeeBee R1, the Hughes H1, and various similar Thompsen Trophy and Schneider Cup racing aircraft.

I Apologise for an error I made in mentioning the Tatra 77 and Tatra 87 in a previous post of mine. I stated 180 to 240 HP, while the Tatra site states 87 to 94 HP. Plainly, I recalled the supercharged HP figures as being the standard ones. That was an error of memory on my part.

As to styling and streamlining, we should not forget the influence of the series of World Land Speed Record Cars as then existed. I refer to such vehicles as the Napier Railston, the Sunbeam 1000hp of Sir George Eyston fame, the Pierce-Arrow Golden Arrow, the first Bluebird, the Mormon Meteor III. Each of which is an example of automotive streamlining as it evolved, and each of which had discernable influence on the concept cars of the era, though less on actual production vehicles in most cases.

Kind and Respectful Regards Cami, Uyraell.
Old 02-10-2012, 09:12 PM

Total Downloaded: 293.96 MB
Buick Y-Job...
Old 02-10-2012, 10:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 233.25 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to Inky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cami View Post
Wow!

So many ideas in about 12 hours! Harley Earl himself would have been jealous!!! ACD... what else?! The Gordon Buehrig's design are apart from anything else. So far, I guess we are talking about a 1/24 scale late thirties cabriolet with a rumble seat or a coupe/sedanette body style, large whitewalls (steel wheels w/ hubcaps or wire?), fender mounted spare tires, a long hood and raked windshield (V-type?). Covered headlights are tempting, but Pierce-Arrow's incorporated units may work as well. That description makes me think about the streamlined 1939 Duesenberg Simone. Let's see what the next 24 hours will bring us!

Cami
Seeing the 39 Duesenberg Simone reminded me of the tricked out 1935 Mercedes 500K.
Attached Thumbnails
Vintage Style Car-5286946819_b31a43ef27_z.jpg   Vintage Style Car-5286945995_476a8eeb86_z.jpg   Vintage Style Car-5286948479_c933718077_z.jpg   Vintage Style Car-5286950251_257f11a4a5_z.jpg   Vintage Style Car-5287549750_f5bdabf676_z.jpg  

Google Adsense