PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 02-11-2011, 06:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 10.41 MB
Monte Enterprises

My brain decided to fixate on a project I attempted as a kid. While I did not become majorly involved in paper model building until 2007, I did try to build a model of the Monticello I got from the gift shop while visiting Mount Vernon (I thought the Monticello looked cooler, that's why it instead of a Mount Vernon). I believe, after much lurking on the web, that this was a Monte Enterprises publication. Does anyone know any history of this company and a possible source for a replacement Monte Monticello?

Greg
Old 02-14-2011, 03:23 PM

Total Downloaded: 499.03 MB
I believe they've gone out of business, leaving resellers like EBay the only option. Like you, a Monte Model was one of the first paper models I ever built; mine was the Governor's Palace from Colonial Williamsburg, bought from PMI back in 1987. Last year, I did manage to win a package of 4 vintage old Monte Models off of Ebay. They were very nice architecural models. If someone else knows of a source, I'd join Greg in being very thankful for it!

Wyvern

Last edited by Wyvern; 03-21-2011 at 07:20 PM.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 614.80 MB
David Kemnitzer, a Washington DC architect, who came to some of the IPMC shows, assembled a list of 62 of them, plus the First Ladies dolls. They were published between 1964 and 1975, by Robert Monte, po box 2391 New Bern, North Carolina 28561. In 1988, he told Mr. Kemnitzer that there would be no future reprints. All except the dolls and the stagecoach are in the same scale, 1:120. They are of historical American buildings, and there might be a few left in individual house museum gift shops. However, except for a few strays, like one at Zeist bouwplaten now, the only place to find them I know of is eBay. I do a regular search there, and they appear about once every 6 weeks. None at the moment. They retailed at about $1.50 apiece, in the envelope that served as a mailer. Now they usually go between $20 and $40 apiece, sometimes (The Alamo) more. Cheers,
Old 02-14-2011, 08:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 614.80 MB
Here is the most recent one to sell on eBay, the Winston Churchill Memorial , in Fulton Missouri (where his mother was from). The seller is Koen Berfelo, son of the Dutch paper model designer Jan Berfelo, who desgned the Veritas & Selecta lines of paper models. eBay number 230582740141
Old 03-20-2011, 08:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Greg,

You were right to choose Monticello over Mount Vernon, which looks like a shack in comparison. FYI I have designed a 1/100 scale Monticello using the governments's 1992 drawings from the Historic American Buildings Survey. My guess is it is better than the Monte Enterprise version, although I would love to compare them. You can download it from my website, Monticellomodel.com for $9.50. I hate to charge for it, but it was quite a bit of work and I need to pay for the web host. Cheers,

Robert Anderson
Los Angeles
Google Adsense
Old 03-21-2011, 07:25 PM

Total Downloaded: 499.03 MB
Beautiful model, Robert! You just made a sale- to me.

Wyvern
Old 03-22-2011, 09:16 PM

Thanks Wyvern! Let me know how it turns out.
Old 02-05-2023, 08:22 PM

Hello all, I’m new to this site. I was hoping to find help with acquiring the downloaded version of Mr. Robert Anderson’s Monticello model. His version is the absolute best! Can anyone point me in the right direction? I’m failing on my end in all directions.

Regards